Hmong language exhibit at UW-Madison Memorial Library February-March 2010

  • hmongcultural
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9 5:57 PM
      Larry Ashmun of the UW-Madison library shared this announcement.

      - Mark Pfeifer

      Folks - I'm very pleased to announce these activities, updating any information you may have previously received.

      The special Memorial Library exhibit consists of two cases in the circulation/exit area, with one devoted exclusively to the Hmong language & the Hmong R.P.A. (Romanized Popular Alphabet) and Father Yves Bertrais. The other case includes the other languages which're being featured in the Feb. 13th symposium. Here's the link to that. http://tadubois.com/Language_as_Homeland_Net_Folder/LanguageAsHomeland.htm. It's part of the University's Year of the Humanities program. Of special note is Hmong's inclusion among the symposium's seven featured languages.

      I basically selected all the material and helped arrange the Hmong case, with the attached writeup including input from the Libraries' Dept. of Special Collections, which houses the Father Yves Bertrais Collection. The case includes books in the Hmong language plus copies of photos showing people studying and reading Hmong, as well as of Fr. Bertrais in Laos, Thailand, and Milwaukee in 1997 when he and the other two "Founders" of the R.P.A. were specially honored by the Hmong community. (In a way, this case is a preview of how the Libraries may eventually exhibit Fr. Bertrais' Collection.)

      The exhibit is expected to be up through February or until sometime in March.

      Please share this with others.

      Larry
    • Kao-Ly Yang
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 9 7:28 PM
        I am quite happy to hear about this exhibition.
        Father Bertrais' legacy deserves such a event, and even more ... .

        Kao-Ly