Re: [hmongstudies] Re: Hmong cultural project evaluation

  • Margaret Allen
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 17, 2008
      I've been watching this discussion and suggest that including information literacy activities might be an added plus.  Note that they can access the Internet at the library as well as check out books and other media.  See the Library Resources section of hmonghealth.org to see what a Hmong student assistant saw as library benefits.  If you want to include health literacy, write for a supply of our book marks - just ell me where to send them.

      Have you talked to the local Hmong mutual assistance association staff about what they'd like to see happen?  Are you aware of the Hmong/English versions of classic children's books from Minnesota Humanities Council?  We have a Hmong language video produced in Wausau that includes importance of reading to children - see record at http://www.hmonghealth.org/library_resources/videoinfo.asp?id=20.

      This is brief because I'm at NLM for a Refugee Health Information Network (www.rhin.org) meeting - last of 5 conferences I've attended this fall.  If your group would like to talk to me, perhaps we could set a time.  Good luck on your project!

      Peg

      Margaret (Peg) Allen, MLS-AHIP
      P.O. Box 2, Stratford, WI, 54484
      715-687-4976 Mobile 715-212-3635
      Peg Allen, Library Consultant
      www.pegallen.net pegallen @ verizon.net
      Coordinator, Hmong Health Education Network
      www.hmonghealth.org
      Health Information for the Global Village (MLA theme 1995)

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 22, 2008
        I am conducting a survey of Hmong refugees for my masters thesis.  If there is anyone in the Fresno, California area please respond - I am trying to find bilingual research assistants.  My efforts so far have had very low results so I am trying my luck here.

        Thank you!

        Jonathan