Hmong popular music prior to 1975

  • nickposs
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 13, 2008
      I'm doing some research for an article and am interested to know more
      about Hmong popular music around and prior to 1975. If you have
      thoughts to share or know of people who might be willing to talk with
      me, feel free to contact me on or off list. Based on my initial
      impression, there seems to be an explosion of cassette tapes along
      with the mass migration of Hmong refugees to Thailand. It is unclear
      if there was much of a popular music industry prior to this time (even
      an informal one). My suspicion is that the war and its aftermath
      concentrated certain populations of the Hmong Lao moreso than in the
      past (for example, Long Cheng or Ban Vinai), allowing for a critical
      mass of interest in producing popular music in the Hmong language
      (along with the time and resources to make it). Then again, maybe
      there was Hmong popular music in urban Laos prior to this time (or if
      large Hmong centers in places like Wenshan, China) that had influence
      on this music.

      Thanks very much for any advice or thoughts that you can share. If you
      are interested, I maintain a website that features some of my research
      (including videos and a music glossary): www.poss.ws.

      Nick Poss
      PhD Candidate - Ethnomusicology
      The Ohio State University
    • Sisnab
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 13, 2008
        Hello Nick:

        You should talk to Dr. Yang Dao. He wrote several popular songs prior to 1975.  Xab Lis and Lis Pheej were all artists that came out of that era.

        Lee Pao Xiong