New Year

  • allout456
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2007
      I was talking to a coworker and we we're talking about each other's
      thanksgiving plans. She asked what I did and and told her that I had
      thanksgiving dinner plans and considering attending the Sacramento
      Hmong New Year. She ask me what that was and I told her what it was.
      She also ask me do we follow the calender year or do we have our own
      calender that we follow. I said I didn't know. Does anyone know why
      we celebrate the "New Year" in the fall?
    • Mona Lee
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 6, 2007
        From my brief studies, I recall that the Hmong New Year begins in the fall and ends by December 31st/January 1st in Fresno, the Hmong Capital in the U.S.  The Hmong New Year is a long cultural celebration for Hmong Americans to reunite with families and recognize their culture and accomplishments.  Hmong Americans living in different states (e.g., Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Carolina) take turns to celebrate the event (week long?) in order to provide other Hmong Americans (California, Oregon) the opportunity to reconnect with familiar faces and families via their tribes/lineage/origins.

        allout456 <allout456@...> wrote:
        I was talking to a coworker and we we're talking about each other's
        thanksgiving plans. She asked what I did and and told her that I had
        thanksgiving dinner plans and considering attending the Sacramento
        Hmong New Year. She ask me what that was and I told her what it was.
        She also ask me do we follow the calender year or do we have our own
        calender that we follow. I said I didn't know. Does anyone know why
        we celebrate the "New Year" in the fall?

        "It is in changing that things find purpose."
        -- Heraclitus

      • Gemma Wieberg
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 17, 2007
          As far as I understand Hmong traditionally followed the luanr calendar, and had a word for day and month but not week. A month consisted of 30 days (full cycle of the moon). Thus on the last day of the 12th month when the moon has waned completely (mid Nov usually) new year was celebrated. New Year's eve hu plig, soul calling for the house, and the brach ritual happen before the sun sets on the last day of the year. The sun will take all the evil spirits and bad things with it, and by walking under the branchs three times in each direction the bad spirits will loose track of you. New year then begins with the new moon. However, nowadays it is arrnaged so everyone is free.
          Hope thats accurate
          Best wishes, Gemma

          Mona Lee <dearmonalee@...> wrote:
          From my brief studies, I recall that the Hmong New Year begins in the fall and ends by December 31st/January 1st in Fresno, the Hmong Capital in the U.S.  The Hmong New Year is a long cultural celebration for Hmong Americans to reunite with families and recognize their culture and accomplishments.  Hmong Americans living in different states (e.g., Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Carolina) take turns to celebrate the event (week long?) in order to provide other Hmong Americans (California, Oregon) the opportunity to reconnect with familiar faces and families via their tribes/lineage/ origins.

          allout456 <allout456@yahoo. com> wrote:
          I was talking to a coworker and we we're talking about each other's
          thanksgiving plans. She asked what I did and and told her that I had
          thanksgiving dinner plans and considering attending the Sacramento
          Hmong New Year. She ask me what that was and I told her what it was.
          She also ask me do we follow the calender year or do we have our own
          calender that we follow. I said I didn't know. Does anyone know why
          we celebrate the "New Year" in the fall?

          "It is in changing that things find purpose."
          -- Heraclitus

          Sent from Yahoo! - a smarter inbox.

        • jmorr007
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2009
            I am looking for some resources that will provide me with information regarding the traditional New Year celebration and the how it is celebrated now.I am interested in the traditions and how they have changed, if at all. This is for a short informitive speech for my communications class. Any help is appreciated.
          • hmongcultural
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 6, 2009
              I am not aware of much academic research about the Hmong New Year.

              Kou Yang had a photo essay in the Hmong Studies Journal a few years ago:
              http://hmongstudies.org/KYangHSJ8.pdf

              Mark Pfeifer