Mandarin term for "Hmong"

  • aaron
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9 3:07 PM
      I am a Chinese Mandarin teacher living near Sheboygan, Wisconsin where
      there is a large Hmong population. I am trying to find an appropriate
      word and Mandarin character for "Hmong." I know that the official
      Chinese term, "Miao," (苗) is unacceptable to the Hmong community
      outside of China. I have also seen the character "Meng" (蒙) used as
      an attempt to phonetically represent the word "Hmong" but this
      character actually means "Mongolian" so I am doubting that would be
      acceptable either. I have also seen the transliteration "Hemeng" (赫
      蒙) which seems to be the most progressive of the terms used currently
      and the one I am leaning toward using in my classes. I would prefer it
      though if someone in the Hmong community, preferably with a knowledge
      of Mandarin, could confirm this as well. Should I have any Hmong
      students in the future, I believe it would be important for them to
      describe their own heritage in the language they're learning. Please
      send responses to bei_ren_bo@... as I don't check my yahoo
      mail very often. Thanks to anyone who has give me some feedback.

      Aaron Bray