Article in New Republic

  • hmongcultural
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2007
      I saw this in a database today.

      This article titled:
      "How a CIA-created strongman brought civil war to suburbia" is in the
      February 5, 2007 issue of the New Republic Magazine. It certainly is
      not a scholarly article but rather is a 6 page article from the
      popular media.

      I mention it because reading it was disturbing to me. It describes
      events related to General Vang Pao in Saint Paul from more than 2
      years ago. The author seems to be trying to use his rather
      uninsightful analysis of these unrepresentative persons and events to
      make the case that Hmong and other refugee groups should not be
      allowed in the U.S. as they just bring their political problems with
      them and create new problems for U.S. society. I am sorry but I see
      very little connection between the events described in this article
      and the lives of the average Hmong person who I have known in Saint
      Paul or elsewhere. The article just perpetuates stereotypes to a
      national audience in my view. I am sorry but I cannot post the article
      due to copyright issues. Persons interested might want to look it up.
      The only use I really see for this article is for an examination of
      contemporary mainstream media treatment of Hmong-Americans and other
      ethnic groups.

      -Mark Pfeifer