1) Tryin to contact Brian McKibben 2) Digital Hmong Language Corpus

  • Nicholas Poss
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2006
      I'm trying to get in contact with Brian McKibben, author of the thesis
      "Markedness of White Hmong Tones." I'm preparing the stimuli for some
      psycholinguistic experiments and it would be helpful to have word
      frequency data. In his thesis, Mr. McKibben discusses having assembled
      just such a corpus which he uses to find the frequency of the various
      word tones. His old e-mail address isn't working anymore. If anyone
      knows how to contact him or could pass on this message to him, I'd be
      most grateful.

      While we're on the topic, I'll set out the idea I've been discussing
      with a few researchers and educators: I think its time to assemble a
      digital Hmong language corpus. It would be a great tool for
      researchers of culture and language. I have some material I could
      contribute and there are a variety of other sources that could be
      easily compiled. Anyone interested? Anyone know how to set up the
      infrastructure for such a project?

      Nick Poss
      PhD Candidate
      The Ohio State University

      Hmong Music Research Website and Blog
      http://www.poss.ws
    • Jacob Hickman

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 9, 2006
          Jacob,
          Those are all the right questions, but I don't yet have the answers.
          Personally, I think researchers and other people interested in Hmong
          language would be best served by an openly available corpus. I can
          tell you about my personal interests:
          -word and word-tone frequencies
          -common phrases, constructions
          -comparing where these phrases and words occur

          An example: Singers of kwv txhiaj make use of a limited repertoire of
          sayings and formulas, much of which is specific to that genre. The
          same is true of words played on the raj. It is likely that similar
          repertoires exists for other verbal arts, like dab neeg and paj huam.
          Right now, I'm interested in comparing words and phrases that are used
          in specific contexts. I realize that this is a very particular need,
          but I believe such a database would be of use to other people as well.

          Ideally, the corpus would include a variety of sources, including
          texts drawn from the internet. I have some word lists to contribute
          and there are a variety of sources out there that could easily
          combined to create a basic level corpus that could be developed over
          time.

          I know that there are some free software programs available for
          building these types of databases and if other people are interested,
          it seems like we should start the project sooner rather than later.

          -Nick Poss
        • Gemma Wieberg

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 29, 2006
              By corpus, I mean a collection of texts. These texts can then be
              searched and labeled to study word frequency, syntax, and other
              linguistic attributes. This can even be done by "scraping" webpages
              for text and there are number of free software programs that are
              capable of doing this. I might start work on this myself over the
              holidy if anyone is interested in joining in.

              I'd be glad to know about the websites with pronunciations if you
              would like to share them.

              Also, I did get in touch with Brian and he has been very generous and
              helpful in sharing his material with me. It has been a great help in
              preparing my research materials.

              -Nick Poss

              --- In hmongstudies@yahoogroups.com, Gemma Wieberg <missanthro22@...>
              wrote:

              > Dear Nick, no i wouldnt- but there are a couple of internet sites
              which i sure you have found that provide Hmong pronunciation clips- is
              this the type of thing your aiming for? Gemma

              > Nicholas Poss <nickposs@...> wrote: I'm trying to get in
              contact with Brian McKibben, author of the thesis
              > "Markedness of White Hmong Tones." I'm preparing the stimuli for some
              > psycholinguistic experiments and it would be helpful to have word
              > frequency data. In his thesis, Mr. McKibben discusses having assembled
              > just such a corpus which he uses to find the frequency of the various
              > word tones. His old e-mail address isn't working anymore. If anyone
              > knows how to contact him or could pass on this message to him, I'd be
              > most grateful.
              >
              > While we're on the topic, I'll set out the idea I've been discussing
              > with a few researchers and educators: I think its time to assemble a
              > digital Hmong language corpus. It would be a great tool for
              > researchers of culture and language. I have some material I could
              > contribute and there are a variety of other sources that could be
              > easily compiled. Anyone interested? Anyone know how to set up the
              > infrastructure for such a project?
              >
              > Nick Poss
              > PhD Candidate
              > The Ohio State University
              >
              > Hmong Music Research Website and Blog
              > http://www.poss.ws

              > All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its
              simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine