Re: Hmong translation of IRB Informed Consent Form

  • Yang S. Xiong
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 25, 2006
      Hello Jacob,

      I am a graduate student in sociology at UCLA and have translated a
      few of my own UCLA IRB forms (social science-related) into White
      Hmong. From your email, it looks like Chicago and UCLA have similar
      consent forms requirements. I'd be happy to email you a copy of a
      translated IRB (just as a reference) if you think it may be useful.

      Best wishes,
      Yang S Xiong
      530-218-6016
      ysxiong@...

      --- In hmongstudies@yahoogroups.com, "jacobrhickman"
      <jacobrhickman@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > My name is Jacob Hickman and I am a graduate student at the
      University
      > of Chicago. I will be conducting my dissertation fieldwork with
      Hmong
      > both in the US and Thailand, and I will be conducting some
      preliminary
      > research this summer with the Hmong community in Madison. I have
      two
      > questions, and I would appreciate it if anyone has any information
      on
      > the following:
      >
      > First, has anyone written an informed consent script in Hmong? If
      you
      > don't have one, but you plan on filling out an IRB proposal in the
      > future - would you be willing to help me translate one? By informed
      > consent I mean the type of disclosure that IRB's in United States
      > universitites/institutions require before people participate in
      > research. I have pasted below a copy of a typical script from the U
      > of Chicago IRB. I would not feel comfortable translating it myself
      as
      > I am not very proficient in Hmong (but I am doing the SEASSI program
      > in Madison this summer).
      >
      > Second, I am interested in meeting any Hmong or scholars who study
      > Hmong in the Madison area. I do not know anyone in Madison (most of
      > my Hmong freinds / acquaintances are in Alaska), but I am planning
      on
      > conducting ethnographic research there this summer as I also take
      > Hmong language courses through SEASSI at UW-Madison.
      >
      > I would appreciate any response on either of these issues. Thank
      you
      > for your time.
      >
      > Jacob Hickman
      > Graduate Student
      > University of Chicago
      > (773) 726-1334
      > jhickman@...
      >

      > Here is what a typical IRB-approved informed consent script looks
      > like. It would obviously have to undergo some cultural
      transformations.

      > Template Script for Verbal Informed Consent—Student Research
      >
      > [NOTE THAT ALTHOUGH VERBAL CONSENT IS BEING SOUGHT, SUBJECTS SHOULD
      BE
> [...]
      > penalized in any way for deciding to stop participation at any time.
      >
      > [If subjects will be compensated, state the amount and terms of
      > compensation. If payments will be prorated if a subject withdraws
      > from the study, state the terms]
      >
      > [If you will be tape recording subjects, include the following]
      > I would like to tape record this interview so as to make sure that I
      > remember accurately all the information you provide. I will keep
      these
      > tapes in [state where you will keep them] and they will only be used
      > by [state who will have access to the tapes]. [If you will be
      sharing
      > data with other researchers and/or archiving data, state whether
      > identifiers will be included.] [If subjects may participate without
      > being taped, state so.]
      >
      > If you have questions, you are free to ask them now. If you have
      > questions later, you may contact me at [add your contact
      information,
      > including name, mailing address, telephone number, and email
      address].

      > If you have any questions about your rights as a participant in this
      > research, you can contact the following office at the University of
      > Chicago:
      >
      > Social & Behavioral Sciences Institutional Review Board
      > University of Chicago
      > 5835 South Kimbark - Judd 333
      > Chicago, IL 60637
      > Phone: (773) 834-7835
      > Fax: (773) 834-8700
      > Email: sbsirbwise@...
      >
      > Are you interested in participating in this study?
      >

      > Consent to Record Interview
      > (Question should be posed at the start of the recording)
      >
      > May I record this interview?
      >

      > Consent to Quote from Interview
      > I may wish to quote from this interview either in the presentations
      or
      > articles resulting from this work. [If a pseudonym will be used,
      > include this statement: A pseudonym will be used in order to protect
      > your identity, unless you specifically request that you be
      identified
      > by your true name.]
      >
      > Do you agree to allow me to quote from this interview?
      >

      > Consent to Use Name
      > There are a number of reasons for which you may prefer that your
      true
      > name be used in presentations and articles related to this
      research.

      > Would you like your true name to be used in any oral presentations
      or
      > written documents resulting from this research?
      >
      > [Note that if a subject agrees to have his or her name used, signed
      > consent should be obtained, including a separate signature line for
      > participation, taping (where applicable), and use of name. In such
      > cases, signature lines should be added to the consent document.]
      >

      > Confirmation of Consent to Record Interview
      > (Question will be posed once recording has begun).

    • Chimtaglos_UaSiabntevnawb
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 25, 2006
        Jacob,

        I have helped a similarity of translation (IRB consent form-language) for the Hmong language program at UW-Madison, to conduct its interview questionnaires, and I also live in town. If you need any help, you can email me directly.

        Chuck

        TRUELILY_916 <truelily_916@...> wrote:
        Hi Jacob,
        My name is Gail Vue and I am currently an undergraduate student at UC
        Berkeley. I would like to first say that I find your desire to
        translate an IRB informed consent form as most relevant because there
        are many individuals who need this form as they are looking to work
        with the Hmongs- locally, nationally and internationally.

        By the way, do you know Dave Mourtesen?? He's a graduate student at Cal.

        I would also like to say that though, my Hmong is not great, I am all
        willing to help in creating this translation form and any other forms.

        As you know, I am based in CA and currently in school. These three
        limitation may be somewhat of a problem. But I'm sure there are ways
        to work with these limitation.

        What is your projected deadline for the completing the translated form?

        Gail

        <jacobrhickman@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > your identity, unless you specifically request that you be identified
        > by your true name.]
        >
        > Do you agree to allow me to quote from this interview?
        >

        > Consent to Use Name
        > There are a number of reasons for which you may prefer that your true
        > name be used in presentations and articles related to this research.
        >
        > Would you like your true name to be used in any oral presentations or
        > written documents resulting from this research?
        >
        > [Note that if a subject agrees to have his or her name used, signed
        > consent should be obtained, including a separate signature line for
        > participation, taping (where applicable), and use of name. In such
        > cases, signature lines should be added to the consent document.]
        >

        > Confirmation of Consent to Record Interview
        > (Question will be posed once recording has begun).

      • Nick Poss
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 26, 2006
          Would it be possible for this translated form to be made available to other hmongstudies subscribers, for instance, in the files area? This would be a great resource for many researchers.  Thanks.

          Nick Poss
          M.A . Ethnomusicology
          The Ohio State University
          www.poss.ws

             Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 19:43:36 -0000
             From: "Yang S. Xiong" <ysxiong@...>
          Subject: Re: Hmong translation of IRB Informed Consent Form

          <jacobrhickman@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > My name is Jacob Hickman and I am a graduate student at the
          University
          > of Chicago.  I will be conducting my dissertation fieldwork with
          Hmong
          > both in the US and Thailand, and I will be conducting some
          preliminary
          > research this summer with the Hmong community in Madison.  I have
          two
          > questions, and I would appreciate it if anyone has any information
          on
          > the following:
          >
          > First, has anyone written an informed consent script in Hmong?  If
          you
          > don't have one, but you plan on filling out an IRB proposal in the
          > future - would you be willing to help me translate one?  By informed
          > consent I mean the type of disclosure that IRB's in United States
          > universitites/institutions require before people participate in
          > research.  I have pasted below a copy of a typical script from the U
          > of Chicago IRB.  I would not feel comfortable translating it myself
          as
          > I am not very proficient in Hmong (but I am doing the SEASSI program
          > in Madison this summer).
          >
          > Second, I am interested in meeting any Hmong or scholars who study
          > Hmong in the Madison area.  I do not know anyone in Madison (most of
          > my Hmong freinds / acquaintances are in Alaska), but I am planning
          on
          > conducting ethnographic research there this summer as I also take
          > Hmong language courses through SEASSI at UW-Madison.
          >
          > I would appreciate any response on either of these issues.  Thank
          you
          > for your time.
          >
          > Jacob Hickman
          > Graduate Student
          > University of Chicago
          > (773) 726-1334
          > jhickman@...

        • Nicholas Poss
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2006
            Would it be possible for this to be posted to the "files" section of
            the hmongstudies group page? The translated versions of these forms
            would be very useful for many researchers in Hmong studies. -Nick Poss

            --- In hmongstudies@yahoogroups.com, "Yang S. Xiong" <ysxiong@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > identified
            > > by your true name.]
            > >
            > > Do you agree to allow me to quote from this interview?
            > >

            > > Consent to Use Name
            > > There are a number of reasons for which you may prefer that your
            > true
            > > name be used in presentations and articles related to this
            > research.
            > >
            > > Would you like your true name to be used in any oral presentations
            > or
            > > written documents resulting from this research?
            > >
            > > [Note that if a subject agrees to have his or her name used, signed
            > > consent should be obtained, including a separate signature line for
            > > participation, taping (where applicable), and use of name. In such
            > > cases, signature lines should be added to the consent document.]
            > >

            > > Confirmation of Consent to Record Interview
            > > (Question will be posed once recording has begun).

          • Yang S. Xiong
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2006
              Interested individuals may contact me directly.

              Yang

              At 10:55 AM 5/1/2006, you wrote:
> [...]

              > identified
              > > by your true name.]
              > >
              > > Do you agree to allow me to quote from this interview?
              > >

              > > Consent to Use Name
              > > There are a number of reasons for which you may prefer that your
              > true
              > > name be used in presentations and articles related to this
              > research.
              > >
              > > Would you like your true name to be used in any oral presentations
              > or
              > > written documents resulting from this research?
              > >
              > > [Note that if a subject agrees to have his or her name used, signed
              > > consent should be obtained, including a separate signature line for
              > > participation, taping (where applicable), and use of name. In such
              > > cases, signature lines should be added to the consent document.]
              > >

              > > Confirmation of Consent to Record Interview
              > > (Question will be posed once recording has begun).

              Online social science degree Social science course Social science degree
              Social science education Bachelor of social science Social science major

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS