Philadelphia Vireo- Vischer Ferry NHP 9/1

  • Thomas Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1 8:50 AM
      A walk down the towpath westward from the Whipple Bridge turned up no warblers this morning. A large accipiter was glimpsed flying on the other side of the old canal, I believe it was a Cooper's Hawk. The pigment-challenged small duck that was previously reported by Susan is still present; it is shaped, and behaves, like the blue-winged teal it is associating with.

      A Philadelphia Vireo was foraging by itself in the trees alongside the canal. I find this species difficult to separate from Warbling Vireo in appearance. This bird had a distinct yellow wash from the throat through the flanks, and the facial pattern was more of a split, diffuse eyering. A Warbling Vireo seems to have a distinct white "eyebrow", with a less bold crescent under the eye, and very little yellow down the flanks. I later saw, and heard briefly, a Warbling Vireo for comparison.

      Eastern Wood-pewees were hawking bugs, and occasionally vocalizing. A Red-tailed Hawk was watching the action on the main waterway.

      The swallows have moved on, although I saw a few perched on wires on the drive out.

      BUGCON- 2

      Tom Williams
      Colonie