Re: About Vegetable food

  • hkvegan
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2002
      --- In hkvegan@y..., "cartelon325" <cartelon325@y...> wrote:
      > I want to ask some information about the vegetable food.
      > Are there any food that taste chicken, meat, etc, but that are made
      > of vegetable actually? If so, can you tell me more about it?
      > where can I search for more information ?? thanks alot!

      Sorry about the late answer.
      Practically all mock meat veggie food is made from soya protein. You
      will be able to find them at some shops listed in the HK vegan
      society homepage. Many are Chinese style, eg hams, sausages, fake
      chicken nuggets. You may be able to find them at supermarkets.
    • punky vegan
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2002
        but some have egg in them - make sure u ask..i didnt know about this until
        just recently

        just to open up a discussion here: some say that eating food which tastes
        like meat sorta defeats the very purpose of being vegan/vegetarian. what r
        ur thoughts?

        kiara

        ---

        But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the
        sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into
        the world to enjoy.
        - Plutarch (c.AD 46 - c.120)

        http://www.liberation-mag.org.uk/

      • bbchris <bbchris@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 15, 2003
          Well it depends WHY you are being vegan/vegetarian doesn't it? I
          like eating food that tastes like it but sympathise with a friend of
          mine who caught her 4 year old daughter eating a 'real' sausage at a
          kiddie's party. (She feeds them Linda McCartney sausages...)

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 18, 2003
            you're quite right..although i would think that arguably, most vegans choose
            their way of life out of respect of life/animals more than any other
            reason..a vegan diet/lifestyle esp in hk is quite hard to adopt and
            maintain, in fact the concept of it quite inconceivable to begin with

            for me, vegetable foods which taste like meat make me feel sick

            ---

            But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the
            sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into
            the world to enjoy.
            - Plutarch (c.AD 46 - c.120)

            http://www.liberation-mag.org.uk/

            >From: "bbchris <bbchris@...>" <bbchris@...>
            >To: hkvegan@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [hkvegan] Re: About Vegetable food
            >Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:39:39 -0000
            >
            >Well it depends WHY you are being vegan/vegetarian doesn't it? I
            >like eating food that tastes like it but sympathise with a friend of
            >mine who caught her 4 year old daughter eating a 'real' sausage at a
            >kiddie's party. (She feeds them Linda McCartney sausages...)

          • Chris B.
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 19, 2003
              The first time I went to a Chinese veggie restaurant, I freaked out when they served that vegetarian ham - kept questioning if it was really FAKE! The waiters laughed at me. hahahahhahaa I like bangers & mash!!!! However I'm also on a food combining lifestyle now.......
              punky vegan <punkyvegan@...> wrote:you're quite right..although i would think that arguably, most vegans choose
              their way of life out of respect of life/animals more than any other
              reason..a vegan diet/lifestyle esp in hk is quite hard to adopt and
              maintain, in fact the concept of it quite inconceivable to begin with

              for me, vegetable foods which taste like meat make me feel sick

              ---

              But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the
              sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into
              the world to enjoy.
              - Plutarch (c.AD 46 - c.120)

              http://www.liberation-mag.org.uk/

              >From: "bbchris <bbchris@...>" <bbchris@...>
              >To: hkvegan@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [hkvegan] Re: About Vegetable food
              >Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:39:39 -0000
              >
              >Well it depends WHY you are being vegan/vegetarian doesn't it? I
              >like eating food that tastes like it but sympathise with a friend of
              >mine who caught her 4 year old daughter eating a 'real' sausage at a
              >kiddie's party. (She feeds them Linda McCartney sausages...)

            • catherine belaruby
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 20, 2003
                hello im new to this group too I was reading your emails about veggie food that tastes like meat, i was living in japan for 2 years and it was so hard being a vegan it was even hard for people being vegeterian, the only place you could eat veggie food easily was budhist temples so when i came to hong kong 7 months ago it was heaven. I think the fact that these resturants provide such a large variety and delicous array of vegan food is all good. glutton mock meat tastes great i think it is not really a bad thing to enjoy it, it tastes good it encourages people to enjoy eating non animal food and it isnt huting anything. anyhow it is a hell of a relief for me to be able to eat out at all! In fact i havent eaten any meat since I was 10 so I cant really even remember what it tastes like,the mock stuff it just tastes good. nice to meet you all albeit in computer screen world.my faverite chinese veggie place is kung tak lam organic shanghai vegetarian oh my good so good. has anyone else tried it? any other suggestions. my names catherine, i introduced myself a while back..

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 21, 2003
                  hi catherine
                  welcome to the group. have you tried the bookworm cafe in lama? its
                  great. as for kung tak lam, i've had nightmaresh experiences there
                  and have vowed never to return...not so much the food, its their
                  unethical way of doing business. making you order from the expensive
                  menu and hiding the cheap daily special menus. etc.
                  gene

                  --- In hkvegan@yahoogroups.com, catherine belaruby <belaruby@y...>

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 22, 2003
                    thanks for the warning about the expensive menus, I had no idea. Yes I know Bookworm cafe Im a fan of the Bobsy shakes and the mediteranian platter, hummus, falafel pita bread mmm.Can you recommend a Chinese Veggie place that isnt so unethical? thanks Catherine

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 24, 2003
                      i can't think of specific restaurants but most chinese veggie
                      restaurants are nice enough. i tend to look at them as chinese
                      buddhest cuisine rather than healthy vegetarian food. i would
                      suggest you look for the "no msg" sign as well as stay away from
                      foods using too much colouring, but overall, they are delicious :)

                      wrote:

                      > thanks for the warning about the expensive menus, I had no idea.
                      Yes I know Bookworm cafe Im a fan of the Bobsy shakes and the
                      mediteranian platter, hummus, falafel pita bread mmm.Can you
                      recommend a Chinese Veggie place that isnt so unethical? thanks
                      Catherine
                      > "genecheng_asia <genecheng_asia@y...>" <genecheng_asia@y...>
                      wrote:>

                      Service.