[HJMatMeth] Re: question

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14, 2000
      I could never agree, Davidson, that it is ethically correct simply to equate
      story and history (or memoir and fiction). All history may be story, but all
      story is not history. When you do historical reconstruction, you are making
      certain claims, certainly within the possibilities of human error, but you
      still are asserting that something happened. A story does not need to make
      any such claims. It can contain profound truths about human nature, but it
      does not claim that what it describes actually happened. If oppressed
      peasants want to make up any stories they want about Jesus, they have every
      right to do so and, indeed, those who oppress them may equally well be
      making up stories to justify what they are doing. But to claim historical
      reconstruction is to make a different claim. Let me recall the terrible
      example I used in BofC. If a young girl accuses her father of sexual abuse,
      it is necessary to decide whether that is a story (however sincerely she may
      believe it) or a history (it is what actually happened).