[HJMatMeth] Re: Jokes as a model for stability of oral tradition

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13, 2000
      I am quite willing to discuss oral tradition in reconstructing Jesus, Jim,
      both in abstract theory and in specific example. The abstract theory in the
      BofC 59-89 (taken actually from experimental psychology and brain research)
      was intended as a warning about the problems of memory and orality. But none
      of that abstract theory is as important as the data that we have about the
      Jesus tradition itself. It is not impossible, a priori, that Jesus, even
      though illiterate, drilled his equally illiterate followers to memorize his
      aphorisms or parables. Neither is it impossible, a priori, that
      alley-scribes from the small towns of Galilee took down deliberately his
      sayings. My proble is that I do not find the evidence for that very
      compelling. Furthermore, and this is much more im-portant, when I look at
      the way a writer like Matthew uses a written text like Mark by changing it
      so that what was gospel for Mark becomes gospel for Matthew, I do presume
      the possibility that similar effects would have gone on even in an oral
      tradition. In other words, I am quite aware that jokes can go on in more or
      less the same structural form across generations, but I do not find any
      similar process operative within the Jesus tradition. In fact, if a
      Jesus-fellow said to another Jesus-fellow "remember what the Lord said,"
      that fellow would probably not be appealing so much to memory as to
      obedience. It would be a case, not just of remembering it, but of doing it.
      That is why I put more emphasis on continuity in life-style and not just on
      retention in good memory (mimetics over mnemonics, as I put it in BofC).