[HJMatMeth] Persecuting what?

  • stevan davies
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2000
      Thank you and Jeff for arranging and carrying through this seminar.

      I'd like to close by asking you what it was that Paul was persecuting.
      Paul and Luke, who are generally considered independent sources,
      report Paul's persecution of the Christian Churches of God in Judea
      down to Damascus. This persecution took place within a few years
      of Jesus' death and according to Luke explicitly and Paul implicitly
      was carried out with authority from high Judean officials. I assume
      that these reports are true and am very curious as to what you think
      he was persecuting both in sociological terms (what were these
      churches of God in Judea?) and content terms (what did they do
      that would justify legal sanctions by Judean officials)?

      Stevan Davies