[HJMatMeth] Re: Greek Q and Aramaic Jesus

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2000

      Brian McCarthy wrote:

      Dom,

      As we come to the end of this many-sided discussion, a big word of thanks to
      you and to Jeffrey and Mahlon.

      Here is my final question: I have not followed Q studies in detail, the SBL
      Q Seminar, the International Q Project etc. But each time i have come across
      some Q discussion it has always concerned some Greek entity.

      This is fine for gospel experts, who are working back from Greek texts--and
      whose Greek  in most cases is probably far better than their Aramaic--but
      how can Questers justify the great unbalance between, on the one hand, the
      major investment of energy in Greek Q and on the other the
      lack--comparative? total?--of attempts to bridge the
      the chasm between Greek Q and Jesus' popular teaching, presumably in Aramaic
      (or Hebrew, or a mix)?

      I'll copy and move this to Xtalk for my comments and hope others do the same with the wealth of foundational
      material we have accumulated from the HJ Seminar.  Mahlon and I have discussed this very situation in the
      past as it relates to his and my interest in 4G and my perception of an imbedded translational Greek
      "proto-John" that was originally an Aramaic narrative.  The context of our discussion was my interest in
      how the ""follow the Aramaic" tool was used when the various sayings were considered as whether or
      not genuinely Yeshuine.  My understanding was that this tool was not as utilized as much as it could have
      been, IMO, to be helpful.

      If you dont mind my giving an example, I will use the saying cited by Luke (14:26)

      "If any [man] come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and
      children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

      and GOT #55:

      Jesus said, "Whoever does not hate father and mother cannot be my disciple, and whoever does not hate
      brothers and sisters, and carry the cross as I do, will not be worthy of me."

      The Greek for "hate" in Luke is MISEI and the Coptic for "hate" in GOT is MECTE.

      The JS voted this saying as improbable (gray).  When I consider that the Aramaic for "hate" is
      <Aram>snh (saneh) that is also an idiom (only in Aramaic) for "set aside" I am left with
      the Aramaism of mistranslation which compels me to view this as genuinely Yeshuine.  It
      also make me think that Coptic GOT was translated from a Greek document.

              For example what Aramaic lay behind  the tou theou of  he basileia
      tou theou?                 Was it the equivalent i) of El or Elohim or of
      ii) or YHWH (or one of its pious                     replacements)?

      MalKOOthah d'aLAha

              The questions would then arise of i) the possible implications of
      Jesus' choice of         one of these alternatives over the other, and ii)
      of the fact that we probably cannot         determine which he chose?

      But this is simply an example and should not distract from the basic
      question of why the lack of efforts to bridge the linguistic gap and
      reconstitute Jesus' own words?

      I have run into this in discussions on all the forums.  NT scholars are primarily Graecists and many
      get quite red in the face at even the mention of Aramaic and the notion (which I consider indisputable)

      that Jesus' spoken lingua franca was Aramaic.
      Please reply on Xtalk.
      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      jkilmon@...