[HJMatMeth] The Cynic Jesus

  • Daniel Grolin
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 1:05 AM
      Dear Prof. Crossan,

      Thank you for your lucid answer regarding the Didache. I
      would like to turn to another question altogether. Much
      has been made lately of the similarities between the Q
      community and the Cynics.

      My first question has to do with your own position
      regarding a "Cynic Jesus". Last year Daniel Marguerat in
      "La 'Troisieme Quete' du Jesus de l'histoire" (in
      "Recherches de Science Religieuse" Juillet-Septembre 1999
      tome 87 numero 3 page 405) groups you together with
      Mack. My impression, however, is that particularly in BofC
      you distance yourself from the import of similarities
      between Q and Cynicism. Did writing BofC change your
      attitude towards the "Cynic Hypothesis" at all?

      My second question is about the significance of similarities
      between Cynics and the Q community. It seems to me that
      you point to a rather significant difference between the
      statement behind the lifestyle of these two communities:
      The former express independence of material things, while
      the second expresses dependence on communal support.
      Seeing this rather fundamental difference between theses
      two communities, what can we learn by the comparison?

      Regards,

      Daniel Grolin