[HJMatMeth] Re: Quaruple Attestation for Female Presence at the Crucifixtion

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28 10:48 AM
      In assessing any of the texts concerning the passion, Kim, the important
      element is not how many attestations you have, but how many independent ones
      you have. That is why it becomes so important to decide whether there is one
      or more independent attestations for any given element in the passion
      narrative. For example, I would maintain that the women who find the empty
      tomb is a unit derived exclusively from Mark, that the other attestations
      are dependent on Mark, and that Mark created the story to avoid ending his
      gospel with apparitions to Peter and/or the Twelve. His story, however, is
      not complimentary to the women involved. As I understand Mark (more details
      in BofC 545-562) those three named women have failed Jesus just as much as
      the three named men in the garden. On the other hand, it is the anointing
      woman and the confessing centurion who are the models for faith in Mark's
      passion narrative. Jesus has been announcing death & resurrection and,
      while the males keep saying, yes, sure, whatever, it is a female who first
      believes and concludes, well, then, I better anoint you now since I'll never
      get a chance later (that's Mark's story not Jesus' history, of course).
      Furthermore, I am not the least bit impressed with what I might term
      "secretarial apparition" as distinct from "executive apparition." If the
      women are told to go tell the guys and the guys are told to go tell the
      world, I do not find such a scenario complimentary to the females involved.
      "In memory of her", however, now that is something else.
      Leaving aside Mark's creation of the empty tomb story, I am far more
      inclined to find preMarkan tradition in the presence of women "near" the
      crucifixion. I think, actually, that it is from that piece of tradition that
      Mark develops his theme of women watching the burial and women preparing to
      anoint Jesus (which, of course, represents piety to be sure, but also
      disbelief as far as Mark is concerned. Only that female pre-crucifixion
      anointing and that male post-crucifixion confessing represented faith for
      Mark).

      >From: "Kim S. Youmans" <ksyo@...>
      >To: hjmaterialsmethodolgy@...
      >Subject: [HJMatMeth] Quaruple Attestation for Female Presence at the