[HJMatMeth] Re: Questions on "history"

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2000
      There are a lot of words in there, David, big and important words, which
      appear with quotation marks around them, but I am not always sure we mean
      the same things by them. But, as best I understand your question, this is
      how I¹ve tried to answer it. First, I have spent only a minimum amount of
      time explaining it in theory and much more time trying to do it in practice.
      On the level of theory, I distinguish between narcissism, which projects its
      own face entirely onto the subject it studies, and positivism (or
      historicism) which imagines it can see the subject totally uncontaminated by
      its own viewing presence. In between those extremes I have sought for
      interactivism which attempts to make as fair and equitable a dialogue
      between past and present as humanly possible. The ethic of that process does
      not mean that you can ever get out of your own personal or social skin. But
      that you try to make the dialogue between viewed and viewer as interactive
      as possible. The only ethical way that I know to do this is to be as self
      conscious and self critical as you can about your method (how you do it) and
      methodology (why you do it that way and not some other). That is why I spend
      so much time on methodology and why I took almost an entire year to lay out
      as fully as I could the entire units of the Jesus tradition. For example, I
      have insisted that there is a line from Materials (how one sees the gospels)
      to Methods (how one reconstructs based on those presuppositions) into
      Results (the conclusions you get). Finally, I would insist that the merits
      of any method/ology is comparative. It is serenely simple to demolish, in
      fact even to ridicule, (and I am not suggesting that you are doing that)
      another person¹s method/ology. The real question, however, is whether any
      given methodology is the best one around for here and now, for this time and
      place. It is in the light of that statement that I am quite happy to defend
      my methodology. It is not because I think it is perfect or permanent, but
      because I think it is better than the other ones around at the moment.