      From: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@...>
      To: hjmaterialsmethodolgy@...
      Subject: [HJMatMeth] Re: Psychological Origins Of The Resurrection Myth
      Date: Mon, Feb 28, 2000, 11:25 AM

      "Rev. Jack A. Kent" wrote:

      Crossan then argues that since Mary Magdalene and the disciples did not
      fall into a trance then the appearances of Jesus were all fiction. I
      disagree with Crossan on this point. I think that every post
      crucifiction appearance to Mary Magdalene and the disciples can be
      easily explained by what happens to people in serious grief. Mary
      Magdalene and the disciples had very normal grief.

      In preparation for this forum I went back and re-read the works of Strauss and others from the
      "first quest" period of the 19th century in order to get an idea of how far we had come or what
      was new about the current quest for which, I think it accurate to say, Dom is the "point man."

      One area that appears to be new is the willingness to give some historical credence to some
      of the miracle stories.  This had previously been a problem with me in HJ research since,
      even as a youngster, I reasoned that if a pitchman like Oral Roberts could pull it off, certainly
      Jesus could have.

      This brings us to the ultimate "miracle" that is the underpinning of Christianity and without which
      we would not be studying the HJ at all....the "resurrection."

      Like everyone else I have heard every explanation for why the post-passion family, friends
      and associates of Jesus may have had spiritual "hallucinations" of him following his death.

      I wonder, therefore, if the next step may be (ruling out the absurdities of funny mushrooms
      and alien intervention) to consider reasonable explanations for the HJ to have survived the
      crucifixion and that he did actually make appearances afterward...but not immediately
      afterward.  Is there some serious school of thought in that direction?

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      jkilmon@...

      http://www.historian.net