127[HJMatMeth] Re: Psychological Origins Of The Resurrection Myth

  • jdcrosn@mindspring.com
    Feb 27 7:59 AM
      I have two general points to make, Jack, about what we usually call the "apparitions" or "visions" of the resurrected Jesus. First, as far as I can tell, accepting Luke's account of Paul's Damascus experience in its most general terms (and only in its most general terms), and Paul's own autobiographical statements, we are dealing, in that case, with an ecstatic or trance-like experience. You may then explain it however you wish to do so psychologically, but I myself do not consider a vision to be any more or less pathological than a dream. What you experience in either and what you do with it thereafter is another question. Second, I have never simply said that the narratives which conclude our gospels "were all fictioin" as you have stated. That is much too general a term for what I have written (it's as right and wrong as saying that Jesus's parables "were all fiction"--yes, and so what?). I would prefer to call those stories parables because they are fictional stories with !
      a functional punch. For example, in John 20 the beloved disciple is deliberately exalted (successively) over against Peter, MaryM, and Thomas, all of whom must have been leaders of important communities seen as unfortunate alternatives to the community of the beloved disciple. I do not read them as visions at all, but as parables of competing authority. This is even clearer in the story of Emmaus. I would be very surprised, by the way, if many of Jesus' companions did not have visionary experiences since such experiences are common in dealing with one's beloved dead, especially when the death has been sudden, tragic, or horrible. My overall point is very simple: The stories in the final chapters of our gospels were never intended to be the account of visions, but were intended to be the assertions of authority.