Discrimination in Assisted Living Care

  • John
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2006
      I recently helped an HIV positive friend find an assisted living
      facility. He was beginning to have dementia and other non-HIV related
      problems. Of the first few places we liked we were told by a hospital
      social worker that they would not take him because he was HIV
      positive.
      Is that legal?
      Has anyone else encountered this?
      It has been my experience that nursing facilities can take whom ever
      they want and turn out anyone they do not want.
      We found a nice new facility which, after knowing of his HIV status,
      has made no particular objection to it.
      Who do I in California contact to find out if there is protection for
      HIV positive persons who need assisted living?
      Thanks.
    • mark morante

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2007
          Mark,
          Thanks for the response.
          I tried the Body first but have not seen anything in reply to my
          questions.
          As more of us are living longer with HIV, we have to address
          such "senior" issues as assisted living.
          John

          --- In hivaidsnetwork@yahoogroups.com, mark morante <markology5@...>
          wrote:

          > good luck on your quest. Have you tried thebody.com?
          searching "hiv/aids assisted living" or "hiv/aidsseniorfacilities"
          or something of that nature?
          > Montana Mark
          >
          > John <johnksd@...> wrote:
          > I recently helped an HIV positive friend find an
          assisted living
          > facility. He was beginning to have dementia and other non-HIV
          related
          > problems. Of the first few places we liked we were told by a
          hospital
          > social worker that they would not take him because he was HIV
          > positive.
          > Is that legal?
          > Has anyone else encountered this?
          > It has been my experience that nursing facilities can take whom
          ever
          > they want and turn out anyone they do not want.
          > We found a nice new facility which, after knowing of his HIV
          status,
          > has made no particular objection to it.
          > Who do I in California contact to find out if there is protection
          for
          > HIV positive persons who need assisted living?
          > Thanks.

        • mark morante
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2007
            John-
            Absolutely, I agree. It seems to me POZ mag did a cover or feature article on the older HIV?AIDS population. Perhaps their website poz.com?
            Mark