Hitchwiki in Russian

  • philipp.gruber@flupps.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4 1:36 AM
      Dear fellow hitchhikers,

      We want to proudly announce the launch of http://ru.hitchwiki.org/, the
      Russian language version of the Hitchwiki. It has not much content yet,
      but this will hopefully change soon. So, if you speak Russian, it would
      be great if you could help a bit and write down some tips about
      hitchhiking in general and maybe especially about russia and its cities.
      And if you know Russian speaking hitchhikers please spread the word.

      We want this to become a great resource of information for all the
      Russian hitchhikers who don't speak (good) English.

      Greetings,
      The Hitchwiki Team
    • Vladas Sapranavicius
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4 2:59 AM
        Hello Philipp!
        The second trial this year :-)
        The first one was not a big success: http://atway.ru/
        Good luck!
        Regards,
        Vladas Sapranavicius

        > Russian language version of the Hitchwiki. It has not much content yet,
        > but this will hopefully change soon. So, if you speak Russian, it would
        > be great if you could help a bit and write down some tips about
        > hitchhiking in general and maybe especially about russia and its cities.
        > And if you know Russian speaking hitchhikers please spread the word.
        >
        > We want this to become a great resource of information for all the
        > Russian hitchhikers who don't speak (good) English.
        >
        > Greetings,
        > The Hitchwiki Team
        >

        > May you never have a cramp in the thumb...
        > --

      • alex
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 5 2:38 AM
          How does it come? Are Eastern European hitchhiker less cooperative
          (e.g. island solution to all the other hh wiki initiatives)?

          Tuesday, March 4, 2008, 11:59:28 AM, you wrote:

          > Hello Philipp!
          > The second trial this year
          > The first one was not a big success: http://atway.ru/
          > Good luck!
          > Regards,
          > Vladas Sapranavicius

        • Philipp Gruber
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 7 11:52 AM
            Wow, I didn't know about that. Like alex, I wonder why it failed. Not
            enough publicity? There must be a lot of russian speaking hitchhikers
            out there :)

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 8 9:08 AM
              Hello

              IMHO, there is a very rich resource of biggest hitch-hiking club "Free
              Travel Academy" - http://avp.travel.ru and people support it. If they write
              texts for this website, it also appears in Anton Krotov's books. Why they
              should support some start-ups? It is better support best known one.
              This is only my opinion...
              Regards,
              Vladas

              > Wow, I didn't know about that. Like alex, I wonder why it failed. Not
              > enough publicity? There must be a lot of russian speaking hitchhikers
              > out there :)
              >
              > Vladas Sapranavicius wrote:
              >> Hello Philipp!
              >> The second trial this year :-)
              >> The first one was not a big success: http://atway.ru/
              >> Good luck!
              >> Regards,
              >> Vladas Sapranavicius

            • alex
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 9 6:14 PM
                Because it --free license, cooperation and wikis-- is the future?
                Boldly said.

                Sources that can be used by everyone, freely.

                Unfortunately I do not speak Russian. I think I miss out in quite a
                lot, I think I should learn some... Therefore, I do not know the clubs
                and pages too much. I thought it is much more club based, but do all
                support the VE/AVP? MSHA, PLAS,... and other independent travellers?

                From this point of view, I do not understand why it should fail. I
                guess there are enough people that do not want/can support a monopoly.

                Reading on AVP ( http://www.avp.travel.ru/AFT-2002.htm accidentally
                even in English), I wonder why it does not get even more support:
                "Our methods of travel are not a secret - we spend a lot of time and
                effort distributing information about hitchhiking techniques, [..]
                Unfortunately, all 17 of Anton Krotov's books only exist in Russian
                (more than 100,000 copies have been sold)."

                A Wiki and GNU/CC licenses seem to me the next step. A step in making
                the information easier and easier accessible for non-russian speakers
                (e.g. on Hitchwiki.org world hitchhikers people collaborate and
                information could be easily translated and connected).

                However, this might be a wrong or too western view on this. I am happy
                to learn and get to know more views on this.

                Best,
                alex

              • Pavel Kustov
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 10 7:41 AM
                  Vladas,

                  What you say is true - AVP is a mature and respected organisation, and their website contains a lot of vital information. However, the information there is mostly of a different kind from that which is represented in hitchwiki.

                  The main purpose of hitch-wiki, as I see it, is to contain frequently-updated articles which would be practically useful for hitch-hiking.
                  These articles would contain useful facts on the cities/countries/roads - for instance:
                  - how to hitch out of a city, what public transport can be used to get to the outskirts
                  - what accommodation there is within a city
                  - how to cross a country border or hitch a ferry
                  - what exits there are on a motorway, etc.

                  In addition, the Google Maps module will help to precisely map good and bad spots for hitch-hiking (not so useful at the moment, as only European part of Russia is mapped properly, but this should be improved in the future).

                  AVP website, as far as I could see, does not contain this sort of information in an easily-digestible form - so hitchwiki could be used for this as long as people are willing to update it.

                  The importance of such information is grossly underestimated - when I gave a talk on hitch-hiking at university here in the UK people were very willing to know where exactly to start - fortunately for them, the following articles existed:
                  http://en.hitchwiki.org/?title=Oxford
                  http://en.hitchwiki.org/?title=M40_%28UK%29

                  I really hope that the word will spread about hitch-wiki, and that hitch-hikers living on the vast territory of the former USSR will be willing to share their knowledge with the rest of the community :)

                  Kind Regards,

                  Lnx

                  > Wow, I didn't know about that. Like alex, I wonder why it failed. Not
                  > enough publicity? There must be a lot of russian speaking hitchhikers
                  > out there :)
                  >
                  > Vladas Sapranavicius wrote:
                  >> Hello Philipp!
                  >> The second trial this year :-)
                  >> The first one was not a big success: http://atway. ru/
                  >> Good luck!
                  >> Regards,
                  >> Vladas Sapranavicius

                  <!--

                  #ygrp-mkp{
                  #ygrp-mkp hr{
                  border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
                  #ygrp-mkp #hd{
                  #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                  margin-bottom:10px;}
                  #ygrp-mkp .ad{
                  padding:0 0;}
                  #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                  color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
                  -->

                  <!--

                  #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
                  font-family:Arial;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                  margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                  -->

                  <!--

                  #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                  #ygrp-text{
                  font-family:Georgia;
                  }
                  #ygrp-text p{
                  margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                  #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                  font-family:Arial;
                  clear:both;}
                  #ygrp-vitnav{
                  #ygrp-vitnav a{
                  padding:0 1px;}
                  #ygrp-actbar{
                  #ygrp-actbar .left{
                  float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                  .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                  #ygrp-grft{
                  #ygrp-ft{
                  padding:5px 0;
                  }
                  #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                  padding-bottom:10px;}

                  #ygrp-vital{
                  #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                  #ygrp-vital ul{
                  padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                  #ygrp-vital ul li{
                  }
                  #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                  #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                  font-weight:bold;}
                  #ygrp-vital a{
                  text-decoration:none;}

                  #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                  text-decoration:underline;}

                  #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                  color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                  padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                  text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                  padding:8px 0;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                  text-decoration:none;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                  text-decoration:underline;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                  margin:0;}
                  o{font-size:0;}
                  .MsoNormal{
                  margin:0 0 0 0;}
                  #ygrp-text tt{
                  font-size:120%;}
                  blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                  .replbq{margin:4;}
                  -->

                • Kasper Souren
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 11 5:33 AM
                    On 3/7/08, Philipp Gruber <philipp.gruber@...> wrote:
                    > Wow, I didn't know about that. Like alex, I wonder why it failed. Not
                    > enough publicity? There must be a lot of russian speaking hitchhikers
                    > out there :)

                    I think hitchwiki might stand a better chance:
                    * clearly under a free license
                    * Google Maps
                    * existing information and communities in other languages

                    We could simply create a bunch of stubs with maps and links to other
                    languages. That could incite people to get started. Also, it's okay if
                    it takes a year to reach 100 articles.

                    Kasper
                  • Vladas Sapranavicius
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 14 11:54 PM
                      Hi Kasper,
                      last days I was thinking about this topic a bit and so far I think that the
                      best way to move forward with Russian wiki, is to persuade/prove to Anton
                      Krotov that the central hub of information should be on Wiki and it won't
                      change without his contribution.

                      If Anton is convinced, then he should make things done:
                      1) Go through all his resources and define what information will be moved to
                      Wiki;
                      2) Find volunters who will do this copy-paste job;
                      3) Encourage Russian hitchhikers to add information to Wiki.

                      It would be successful way, because:
                      1) Anton maintains the largest amount of information about HH in Russian;
                      2) Anton is the most respectable person among Russian hitchhikers.

                      If you decide to work this direction, then you should know that Anton is
                      currently HHing in Indonesia and won't have much time for it in the nearest
                      future.

                      Any way, you may contact me and I will provide your with Anton's contact
                      details.

                      Best regards,
                      Vladas