Re: [hh] (unknown) hitching from Barcelona to France and Amsterdam

  • daniel flynn
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2004
      I am currently in Spain and will be hitchhiking from Barcelona to South of France, to Torino Italy then up France to German Rhine River then onto Amsterdam...

      I would love any advice, good roads for hitching, good starting hitching points, bad hitching places...anyone advice

      Thank you and Thank you Again,

      Daniel

    • Jerome Robert
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 2, 2004
        Hi Daniel,

        I've hitchhiked twice from Barcelona to go towards France, and it worked
        quite well. I took the train from Plaza Catalunya to Bellaterra. Then you
        have some walking before the entrance of the highway, but every time someone
        picked me up so I didn't have to walk all the distance...

        Useful tip : I printed out the "autostop guide", and it helped me many times
        to leave cities. The information I had from it has been quite trustful so
        far. Check it out at www.autostopguide.com.

        Good trip!

        J�r�me. www.teachersontheroad.be.tf

        >From: daniel flynn <danieljapan55@...>
        >To: hitching@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [hh] (unknown) hitching from Barcelona to France and Amsterdam
        >Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 12:51:11 -0700 (PDT)
        >

        >I am currently in Spain and will be hitchhiking from Barcelona to South of
        >France, to Torino Italy then up France to German Rhine River then onto
        >Amsterdam...
        >
        >I would love any advice, good roads for hitching, good starting hitching
        >points, bad hitching places...anyone advice
        >
        >Thank you and Thank you Again,
        >
        >Daniel

        ** No way, you're still staying in hotels when travelling?? Please, check
        www.hospitalityclub.org ! **

        Download all the games you want! http://boonty.msn.be
      • Werner Kraft
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 4, 2004
          I have hitchhiked from Tarragona ( 100 km south of Barcelona ) via Andorra ( Pyrenees ) to Limoge ( Central France ).
          I can recommend this route very much - the Pyrenees are incredibly scenic , and La Valetta ( the capital of Andorra ) is a bustling , tax free " Little London " in the middle of the mountains. You can also some mountain routes uo to 2000 meters there .
          Read more about it under " Cathars Route " , web-published in this yahoo- group around June last year.
          You should not miss Mont Segur, the ruins of the old castle of the Cathars ( now even " Iron Maiden " wrote a song about it ) .
          Hitchhiking in Central France is boring and frustrating.

          Jerome Robert <robertjerome@...> wrote:

          Hi Daniel,

          I've hitchhiked twice from Barcelona to go towards France, and it worked
          quite well. I took the train from Plaza Catalunya to Bellaterra. Then you
          have some walking before the entrance of the highway, but every time someone
          picked me up so I didn't have to walk all the distance...

          Useful tip : I printed out the "autostop guide", and it helped me many times
          to leave cities. The information I had from it has been quite trustful so
          far. Check it out at www.autostopguide.com.

          Good trip!

          J�r�me. www.teachersontheroad.be.tf

          >From: daniel flynn
          >To: hitching@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [hh] (unknown) hitching from Barcelona to France and Amsterdam
          >Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 12:51:11 -0700 (PDT)
          >

          >I am currently in Spain and will be hitchhiking from Barcelona to South of
          >France, to Torino Italy then up France to German Rhine River then onto
          >Amsterdam...
          >
          >I would love any advice, good roads for hitching, good starting hitching
          >points, bad hitching places...anyone advice
          >
          >Thank you and Thank you Again,
          >
          >Daniel

          ** No way, you're still staying in hotels when travelling?? Please, check
          www.hospitalityclub.org ! **

          Download all the games you want! http://boonty.msn.be

          May you never have a cramp in the thumb...

        • Paweł Pałasz
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 4, 2004
            > Hitchhiking in Central France is boring and frustrating.

            Except for Massive Central if it is still central. Try to avoid highway
            there and jump from one village to the other. Real fun. In every place there
            is a castle or some local atraction. Of course if you have time.

            Pawel
          • Werner Kraft
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 5, 2004
              Thats exactly what I did - through the Perigord and Dordogne .
              Landscape is is really nice - but next time I wish to make a cycling trip there.
              progress became so slow - sometimes just 50+ kilometers a day - I hated it.
              Better stick to the N20 ( I think thats the central route national up north )

              Generally I found people more interesting and hippie-like in the southern parts ( despite that the Front Nationale gets record results there ).

              In the North there was such a bourgeois " I don't want to deal with you " attitude.

              Atlantic coast north of Bordeaux area must be stunning, according to Guide Book.
              Pawe� Pa�asz <ppalasz@...> wrote:

              > Hitchhiking in Central France is boring and frustrating.

              Except for Massive Central if it is still central. Try to avoid highway
              there and jump from one village to the other. Real fun. In every place there
              is a castle or some local atraction. Of course if you have time.

              Pawel

              May you never have a cramp in the thumb...

            • Jupe Bleu
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 8, 2004
                the worst hitching place in France is the cote
                d'azur, the coast just before Italy. Try to avoid it
                by passing through the north or bypass it on the
                highway. Thats the only place in France where drivers
                swerved at me to make me jump for my life. Lots of
                rich pretentious jerks.