aloha, new members...an introduction to our group...

  • braddah shano
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2003
      Welcome to our new group!

      For those of you that were already a member of the BJ PENN FAN
      CLUB, you can see we moved all of our martial arts, historical photo
      albums to this new group.

      For those of you that are new...

      you can enjoy learning about the rich martial arts culture and
      history of Hawai`i by reading the captions of each photo in our
      Photos section.
      There's an album for each different type of fighting art.

      Everyone should be able to find pleasure from reading about where
      much of America's martial art 'roots' started.

      Being made up of mostly an Asian culture, Hawai`i was a
      hotbed/melting-pot of 'Eastern' philosophical ideas and teachings.

      Hawaii's largest Asian communities being Chinese, Japanese,
      Okinawan and Filipino, is why you'll find mostly a mixture of
      fighting styles from these cultures. Being part of America meant
      that they were exposed to arts such as Western Boxing and wrestling
      as well. And most of them also have a background in the native
      Hawaiian art of Lua.

      There are also considerable populations of Portuguese & Spanish as
      well as, several different pacific island peoples.

      This has all been blended together into what some locals have
      affectionately termed as a "chop suey" culture. I've even heard
      Filipinos call it a "halo-halo"(mix-mix), culture...referring to a
      delicious Filipino type of milk shake were you mix together all the
      sweet fruits and flavors before enjoying it. That seems to me to be
      a very good way to describe Hawaii's unique way of life and people!

      With such diversity, one can only imagine how many different
      fighting styles must have been taught on any one island!?

      Men like Seishiro "Henry" Okazaki, who came from a very strict
      Japanese background filled with discipline and codes of honor and
      was often restrictive in it's allowance of foreigners to be taught
      it's secret ways and martial arts.

      But, he, and many other men like him, were in a place that was
      filled with diversity of races and ethnicity.
      It was men like Okazaki, Hawaiian-born James Masayoshi Mitose &
      William K.S.Chow that first taught the Asian arts to foriegners.

      These three men could really be considered the 'FATHERS' of
      Hawaiian/American martial arts!

      It was then their students that took what they had learned and
      introduced it to the rest of America when they left Hawaii and came
      to the mainland...

      ...men like Ed Parker, Adriano Emperado, Wally Jay, Al
      Dacascos, Samuel Alama Kuoha, and so many others.

      If you've ever been a student of KENPO/KEMPO or JUDO/JU-JUTSU(and
      their MANY off-shoots), then you should be thankful of the efforts
      of these early, martial art's pioneers of Hawai`l.

      Any comments and contributions are very welcome!

      mahalo nui loa

      braddah shano

      "He aikane, he punana na ke onaona."
      A friend, a nest of fragrance.