ICE MEMORY, SUN VICTORY

  • Djehuti Sundaka
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2002
      For at least half a million years, and probably a lot longer, warm
      periods and ice ages have alternated according to a fairly regular, if
      punishing, pattern: ten thousand years of warmth, followed by ninety
      thousand years of cold. The current warm period, the Holocene, is now
      ten thousand years old, and, all things being equal—which is to say had
      we not interfered with the pattern by burning fossil fuels—we should now
      be heading toward another ice age.
      http://www.newyorker.com/FACT/?020107fa_FACT

      When the next ice age hits, the centers of global civilization will
      automatically shift to the equatorial regions while cultures at
      temperate latitudes, despite their technology, will suffer a great
      demise. Tropical highlands such as Pwanit (i.e. "Ethiopia") will
      continue to benefit from climatic stability while temperate places such
      as New York and London may be totally engulfed by ice provided they're
      even still above sea level. Naturally, caucasians and other temperate
      dwellers will attempt to massively migrate to the more habital regions
      where they will seek to displace the current populations if AIDS has not
      already significantly wiped out such populations. On one hand,
      caucasians are no longer reproducing at a rate capable of sustaining a
      population growth. On the other hand, there are already women in Kenya
      whose bodies are developing an immunity to AIDS. If this trend should
      continue long enough before the next ice age, there will hardly be any
      caucasians left to make a massive dash towards the sun while other
      populations will have adapted and grown if not absorbed the remaining
      caucasians. Such are the ways of nature and evolution. It seems that
      we shall indeed overcome someday - in spite of ourselves. Of course,
      caucasians aren't the only ones currently dwelling in the world's
      temperate zones and people of any race will do whatever it takes to
      survive when the time should come. What interesting times we face
      ahead.

      Djehuti Sundaka