Do Black Teachers Have to Be Uncle Toms?

  • calpatton@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2001
      Subj: Principal Tesch at Milton High School and Principal Newhall at
      Roswell High School

      Date: 5/30/2001 7:24:11 PM Central Daylight Time
      From:    graylengraham@... (graylengraham)
      To:    CALPatton@...

      Graylen Todd Graham116 Wood CreekRoswell, GA 30076678-461-5325

      04/12/01

      Dear Mr. Tesch and Mr. Newhall,

      I am writing this letter inquiring why my name was not on the list for
      Summer School at Roswell High School. On Thursday 03/20/01, I asked Kathy
      Davis whether or not I could apply for another two Summer School positions
      at the same time in order to secure having extra income for the Summer. This
      is when she informed me that I had already been chosen as one of the Summer
      School teachers for Roswell High School. She also stated that Mr. Newhall
      came to Milton High School two weeks prior and had hired all the Milton
      teachers, with the exception of one special education teacher, who had
      submitted an application for the Summer School teaching positions at
      Roswell. After learning this information, I did not feel a need to apply for
      any other Summer positions. I even informed a few of the other teachers that
      they could also stop looking for Summer work because we had all already
      obtained employment.

      Today, one of my colleagues informed me that she was surprised to learn that
      my name was not on the list of teachers hired to teach Summer School at
      Roswell High School. She also stated she had even received a Summer School
      package. When I informed Kathy Davis of my discovery, she stated that my
      name not being on the list must simply be an error in the paperwork because
      she knew that I had been hired at the same time as the other Milton High
      School teachers who had applied for a Summer School position at Roswell High
      School. She advised me to contact Mr. Newhall, principal at Roswell High
      School.

      Even though I could not reach Mr. Newhall, I did speak with his secretary.
      She confirmed that my name was not on the Summer School teaching list. She
      also informed me that both Mr. Tesch and Mr. Newhall were part of hiring
      decision for the Summer School teaching positions at Roswell High School.
      She said that she would have someone E-mail me to explain the Summer School
      hire process. I have two concerns. First, I stopped seeking Summer work
      because I told that I had a teaching position this Summer. Now it is too
      late for me to apply for a Summer School position else where. With the
      finical stress I am currently under because of having to relocate from out
      of State in order to fill the teaching position at Milton High School, I was
      really depending on that income to help me with my finances. Second, it
      concerns me that I have been under a false sense of security and no one
      bothered to inform me that I was not on the Summer School teaching list with
      the other teachers. I had to learn this information second hand from a
      colleague. I would appreciate anything you could do in order to help me
      resolve this current situation.

      Sincerely,

      Graylen Todd Graham

      cc: Dr. Vicky Ferguson

      cc: Judy Hammack

      cc: Attorney Larry W. Johnson

      School E-mail: grahamg@...
      Home E-mail: graylengraham@...

      Home Page:
      http://www.angelfire.com/tn/graylen/index.html
      Teacher Page: http://www.quia.com/pages/grahamenglish.html

      Online publications:
      Understanding Ebonics: A Teacher's Viewpoint
      Direct link: http://www.alr.org/ma97/fue10.html
      or
      http://www.alr.org/ma97.html & click on publication
      title.

      Talking Loud, Saying Something
      Direct link: http://www.alr.org/mj98/crtl49.html

      http://www.alr.org/frame.html
      Click on: Conference Report: Mufwene questions AAVE
      criteria at University
      of Georgia event.

      Apostolic Bible Institute:
      http://www.apostolic.org/
      It is better to be hated for who you are then to be loved for who you
      are not.