TODAY: Sat. Nov. 3rd, Detroit Film Premiere of the New film "HOODWINKED" dispelling myths and stereotypes about African-Americans, 2pm EST!

  • Michael Imhotep
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2012

    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

    Wednesday, October 31st, 2012

    Saturday, November 3rd, – Detroit, MI   The Film Premiere of “HOODWINKED: We Can No Longer Doubt Our Greatness” offers an in-depth exploration of how the over-exaggerated negative depictions and statistics about African Americans has debilitating effects on our Identity.

    The African History Network is proud to announce the Detroit film premiere of “HOODWINKED”, Director Janks Morton's sequel to the 2007 award-winning documentary “WHAT BLACK MEN THINK” on Saturday, November 3rd, 2012, 2pm-6:30pm EST, at the Aisha Shule/W.E.B. DuBois Preparatory Academy, 20119 Wisconsin, Detroit, MI.   This is a FREE EVENT.  Donations will be accepted.

    “HOODWINKED” is a searing examination of the role that myths, stereotypes and misrepresentations have played in the lives of the modern era African American. It deals with negative racial statistics that promote the premise of Black Inferiority, and how organizations manipulate data and information for funding, and as money extracting propositions.  “HOODWINKED” explores how negative imagery in the media, deficit-model activism, and a community disillusioned and ill-informed about its own positive attributes has all led to a dangerous form of negative self and group perception about Black Achievements. The film features commentary and insights from key African-American leaders, activists and educators such as Dr. Steve Perry (TV One’s “Save My Son” & CNN), Dr. Marc Lamont Hill (host of “Our World” on BET), Dr. Boyce Watkins (Prof. of Finance at Penn State), Dr. Jawanza Kunjufu (Educational Consultant and Author of “Countering The Conspiracy To Destroy Black Boys”) and Dr. Ivory Toldson (Howard University).  “HOODWINKED”, through the most current U.S. Census data and other government agencies sheds a shining light on the positive strides made by African Americans and then suggests we reconsider the many misconceptions so prevalent in the consciousness of all Americans.

    “HOODWINKED” - Documentary, 87 Minutes. NTSC. Not Rated.

    Watch the trailer of "HOODWINKED" here: http://youtu.be/pCm3PsRwxjA

    For more information call (313) 462-0003 or RSVP at www.AfricanHistoryNetwork.com or www.HoodwinkedDetroit.Eventbrite.com.

    Contact:

    Michael Imhotep