Adriana Perez Meets with High Commissioner of Human Rights

  • FreetheCuban5 LibertadparalosCinco
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2012
      The Popular Education Project to Free the Cuban 5
      www.freethecuban5.com

      freethecuban5@...
      718-601-4751

      Adriana Perez has met with High Commissioner Pillay
      (Read the articles at the bottom of this email)

      Now more than ever we must let High Comissioner Pillay know that Adriana has the support of the masses!  Download the Project's letter and mail it or fax it to her!  Let us add our voices to Adriana's so that the wives/families of the Cuban 5 can receive their visas.

      Due to the U.S. government’s denial to approve visas, Gerardo Hernandez Nordelo and Rene Gonzalez Sehwerert have not seen their wives since their incarceration!! Others in the Cuban 5 have not seen their parents, wives and children with regularity. The U.S. government has taken prolonged periods of time to issue them visas.

      The U.S. government’s denial of visitation rights is a cruel and horrible form of psychological torture. Their rationale for denial is ridiculous and baseless; none of these family members are a threat to national security.

      We are asking people to fax or mail out this letter to Ms. Navanetham Pillay, The NEW High Commissioner of Human Rights of the Office for Human Rights-United Nations Office at Geneva. We are asking her to intercede on behalf of the Cuban 5’s mothers/wives to pressure the U.S. government to grant them VISAs to visit their husbands/sons!!

      Sign it and mail/fax to:
       Ms. Navanetham Pillay, High Commissioner of Human Rights
      Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights-United Nations Office at Geneva
      8-14 Avenue de la Paix 1211
      Geneva 10, Switzerland
      Fax: + 41 22 917 9011

      Geneva: High Commissioner meets with Gerardo's wife
      Mar. 5, 2012
      Reprinted from Prensa Latina
      Geneva, March 5 - The High Commissioner of the United Nations for Human Rights, Navy Pillay, today received Adriana Pérez, wife of Gerardo, one of the Cuban Five anti-terrorists, unjustly imprisoned in the United States.
      In the meeting, Adriana mentioned the suffering that almost 14 years of prison have represented for the Five and their families, to live separated for so much time and with limitations of all kinds.

      The wife of Gerardo spoke to the High Commissioner of the need for that organization to intercede directly in favor of the motion solicited by René González's attorney, for permission to travel to Cuba to visit his brother, who is gravely ill. She also conveyed the desire of reunification of the elderly mothers of the Five who are still alive.

      Geneva, Mar 6 (Prensa Latina) Adriana Perez, the wife of one of the five anti-terrorist Cuban fighters unfairly held in the United States, on Tuesday denounced before the UN Human Rights Council the illegalities committed in this case.

      In an intensive dialogue with the Working Group on Arbitrary Detention, Perez recalled that the Group already declared itself against the imprisonment of Antonio Guerrero, Fernando Gonzalez, Ramon Labanino, Rene Gonzalez and Gerardo Hernandez.

      Although almost seven years have passed since the Working Group ruled arbitrary the imprisonment of The Cuban Five, the US government has yet to comply with it, said the wife of Gerardo, whose visa application has been repeatedly refused by Washington.

      "I would like this to be the last time I let my voice be heard in this plenary to denounce the violations committed against our relatives and demand their return home," she said.

      Fourteen years would have gone by since the start of an unfair, painful proceeding, lacking the least credibility in the US judicial system.
      Adriana Perez referred to the situation of Rene Gonzalez, who has been forced to remain in US territory, with great risk for his life, subject to an absurd supervised release regime, despite having served his sentence.

      She denounced before the UN Human Rights Council that Rene has been denied temporary permission to visit his brother, seriously ill in Havana.
      US President Barack Obama, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, has in his hands the release of these five Cubans who have sacrificed the best of their youth for the noble cause of defending life, she added.

      She said that a lack of political will and ethics prevents today the Obama Administration from making a humanitarian gesture to put an end to such sorrow, ignoring the demands made by numerous organizations and notables worldwide who have declared themselves for the release of The Cuban Five.
      "They are hostages of an absurd, absolutely anachronistic policy applied for over fifty years against our country," she denounced.

      Also today, Adriana Perez was received by Gabriela Guzman, Assistant to the UN Special Rapporteur on Violence against Women, to whom she explained how this injustice is affecting directly The Cuban Five's mothers, wives, children and other relatives.

      Adriana demanded that, in line with her mandate and based on elements of the case, the Rapporteur urge the US government to give a final solution on the granting of visas unconditionally, without any restriction.

      She reaffirmed before the UN body the need to intercede with the US government so that Rene is allowed to travel to Cuba temporarily to visit his brother.