OUR NEXT TOPIC OF DISCUSSIONON AFRICAN HEALTH DIALOGUES IS: Food as Medicine (African Diet and Nutrition)

  • African Views Information Exchange
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2011

      Please listen to AV radio program podcasts on www.blogtalkradio.com/africanviews

      OUR NEXT TOPIC OF DISCUSSION IS: African Diet and Nutrition

      What is food to us? Without food, we cannot live. With food, we stay alive, but the quality of our lives, and the length of our days are dependent on the foods we eat and in what quantity. Food we eat for nourishment, and in small amounts, we eat herbs as medicines. To quote Hippocrates: “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”

      When is a food a medicine? In this week’s episode of African Health Dialogues we will discuss cholesterol-lowering foods, dietary source of soluble fiber, and red blood cell building foods in different African cultures. We invite our listeners to call in and talk about what they eat and what they understand or recommend as good healthy food.

      If you are interested in joining our discussion, send us an email at: healthdialogues@... to schedule and announce your participation on the show, otherwise please mark your calendar and call in during the show to participate.

      JOIN OUR DISCUSSION LIVE BY PHONE OR BY SKYPE.

      WHEN:
      SATURDAY, October 1st, 2011
      TIME:
      12: 00 PM-1: 00 PM EASTERN STANDARD TIME

      SKYPE ID: AFRICANVIEWS

      CONTRIBUTORS AND LISTENERS DIAL-IN NUMBER: (760) 283-0850

      CO-HOST: Dr. Ladi Owolabi                             CO-HOST: Dr. Susanna J Dodgson

      Listen live: www.blogtalkradio.com/africanviews

      ABOUT AFRICAN HEALTH DIALOGUES

      African Health Dialogues is a weekly health care discussion on AV radio about awareness, progress and gaps, costs and accessibility of medical /pharmaceutical products and services within the African and African Diaspora communities Worldwide.

      The program is being facilitated by African Views (AV), Life-Scope Africa Foundation (LAF), Medical Journal of Therapeutics Africa (MJoTA), and Phameds International. Objective of the program is to provide health literacy, advocacy, and inspire consensus and leadership roles in improving public health care status in underserved communities

      Host: Dr. Ladi Owolabi

      Host: Dr. Susanna J. Dodgson

      Special Contributor: Regina Askia Williams
      Producer: Mr. Wale Idris Ajibade

      Regular Contributor on Private Sector’s perspective: Mr. Folusho Obe

      Quality control: Mr. William A. Verdone

      Sponsors:

      African Views (AV)

      Life-Scope Africa Foundation (LAF)

      Medical Journal of Therapeutics Africa (MJoTA)

      Phameds International

      UPCOMING EPISODES

      ·      HIV/AIDS Action Plan

      ·      Malaria Eradication Programs

      ·      Clinical Trials in Africa - Challenges & Benefits

      ·      Counterfeit & Substandard Drugs in Africa, A major issue

      ·      Mobile and e- Health care delivery in Africa (?)

      ·      Child Maltreatment Prevention

      ·      Autism

      ·      Sleeping Sickness

      ·      Mental illness

      ·      Preventing and treating infection: hand-washing, vaccination, sleep, diet

      ·      Preventing and treating insect-borne disease: glass windows, screens, sprays, plants such as pyrethrum, pills such as artemisinin, antibiotics

      ·      Preventing and treating cardiovascular disease: diet and exercise, maintaining normo-tension

      ·      Preventing and treating cancer: diet, exercise, not smoking, not breathing in carcinogens.

      ·      Preventing and treating diabetes: diet and exercise, herbal medicines