3/19: VB Film/Mariposas en el Andamio/Butterflies on the Scaffold

  • FreetheCuban5 LibertadparalosCinco
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2011
      Join the Venceremos Brigade and CUNY GRAD CENTER'S AELLA for our
      CUBA FILM SERIES

      Saturday March 19th
      Mariposas en el Andamio/Butterflies on the Scaffold

      After the Revolution, gays were not respected in Cuba, but in the small Havana neighborhood of La Güinera, a few courageous women came to power and encouraged the gay community. Glamorous gowns fashioned from grain sacks and eyelashes made out of carbon paper are the reality of drag in Cuba. In La Güinera, gay transvestite performers have earned respect and status through creative work for the neighbourhood. On stage action and backstage preparation opens out into insightful interviews with community leaders, families, and the performers themselves. the question; can you be gay and accepted in Cuba?

      Peggy Gilpin, the Filmmaker, will be present!

      365 Fifth Avenue (corner of 34th street) 5th Floor 5414
       $7 Suggested Donation (none turned away)
      3-6pm
      BYOB  Free Popcorn

      Join us and bring your closest 100 friends!