[BadGal Says - TheSUSS] No Twister Tuesday - Family Values and Sexual Politic...

  • RE Ausetkmt
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2009

      My Dear Friend an Colleague Yvonne McCalla Sobers
      wrote the column below my signature;on the whole
      Buju Banton and the Gay Community Fracas -
      after a recent show on RJR Jamaica a few days ago.

      It is clear that Buju Banton is not the only artist who is
      living in the shadow of constant scrutiny from a group of angry people.
      These people have tried to make Buju their whipping boy when in essence
      he has nothing to do with their real beef; sexual politics.

      you see Buju's Platform is Family Values - as a Rastaman that's what
      Life Is All About. Speaking From Personal Experience; as well as
      Personally Knowing Buju for many years.

      This case has just reached a point of senselessness and the people who
      are spending the money to produce shows; need to stop the disruptions.

      the song that everyone keeps harping on was produced when
      Buju Started His Career more than 20 years ago. Yeah..
      and since them all his material has been purely Family Values.
      He is a product of Jamaica - and a Rastaman.

      The California-based gay activists reportedly demanded that the DJ hold town hall meetings to profess respect and love for gays, make donations to Jamaica Forum of Lesbians, All-Sexuals and Gays and sing songs about loving gay people.

      Buju Banton and his management team reportedly rejected out right all the suggestions put on the table.

      In Jamaica it's known as Buggery - an english term and law.
      Homosexuality is seen as a taboo - and representative
      of non family values. Jamaica is like most of the world.
      But unfortunantly it is clear from the conversations with
      the gay rights people; that they want Buju to act like a
      puppy and toss aside his Rasta Morals and his entire lifes fiber
      for the sake of their approval. what planet are they from ?

      It's Not Gonna Happen ..

      If it takes the planners of shows to get a better handle on their venues, then so be it.
      Madison Square Gardens seemed to have no problems when
      he appeared there twice recently - to sold out crowds.

      the artists personal politics don't appear on stage - their music does.
      that's how I see it, when groups like Black Flag; and Prussian Blue
      can tour freely and appear unharrassed anytime and anywhere they want.

      The bottomline should be that if people want to go see Buju Banton Perform,
      Let Them. Only Buju Should Rule His Destiny..

      Family Rights should not be twisted
      in with sexual politics -
      please people; Lets Not Get It Twisted,

      Gays may have overstepped their bounds giving Buju ultimatum – McCalla-Sobers
      Sunday, 18 October 2009

      Buju Banton.Human rights activist Yvonne McCalla Sobers is contending that the overseas gay community may have overstepped its bounds in the demands put to local artist Buju Banton.

      News came earlier this week that Banton, whose real name is Mark Myrie met with representatives of the gay community, following the cancellation of several of his concerts.

      However Mrs. McCalla-Sobers who was speaking Sunday on RJR's weekly news review programme "That's a Rap!" argued that international gay organizations may have pushed too hard and may have been working at cross purposes to the aims of the local gay community.

      She said she has spoken with persons in the local gay community directly and through workshops and during these discussions, the rights they were interested in were not those put forward to Buju by the international gay community.

      Yvonne McCalla-Sobers.
      "If discrimination and the buggery law were some of the issues raised by the international gay community I would say yes you have been speaking to persons here and this is what matter. But I'm not sure about any of those issues that they raised and how in fact these may create the local backlash that the local gay community may not want to experience,"
      Mrs. McCalla Sobers said Sunday on RJR's weekly news review programme That's a Rap!.

      --
      Posted By RE Ausetkmt to BadGal Says - TheSUSS at 10/27/2009 12:13:00 AM