Jan. 10th-VB Film The man of two Havanas

  • FreetheCuban5 LibertadparalosCinco
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2009

      The Man of Two Havanas - Jan 10 in NYC at IAC at 5PM

      The Venceremos Brigade invites you to a screening of
      The Man of Two Havanas
      a feature-length documentary by Vivien Lesnik Weisman

      Saturday, January 10
      5PM
      Solidarity Center
      55 West 17th Street, 5th Floor (between 5th and 6th Avenues)
      Manhattan

      Donations welcome. No one turned away.

      The feature film debut of Cuban born, Miami bread Vivien Lesnik Weisman has more than ruffled a few feathers, befitting her pedigree as the daughter of legendary journalist, Max Lesnik.

      "Okay, here's the situation. I was born in Havana. That makes me Cuban. But, I was raised in Little Havana, which makes me Cuban-American. However, since I don't see Castro as the root of all evil in the universe, nor would I strangle him with my bare hands given the opportunity, I am a little out of step with my tribe. I always have been. And I really don't care.
          My dad, on the other hand, does care. He cares a great deal. Back in Havana he was a revolutionary and fought alongside Castro for the freedom of the Cuban people. Then he had a falling out with his old friend and it was Miami, here we come.
         But his animosity towards Castro did not last and he soon wanted dialogue with the Cuban government. Perhaps, to live in peace.
         That's when the shit hit the fan."

      About the Venceremos Brigade

      The Venceremos Brigade is a political education project, that, since 1969, has directed its efforts toward developing solidarity with the Cuban Revolution. Despite the U.S. blockade, the Brigade has sent over 9000 people from the U.S. to Cuba. TYhe Brigade considers travel to Cuba to be our right and has never requested a license to travel from the U.S. government.
         The Brigade strives to send a multiracial, multiethnic, and intergenerational contingent. We are now organizing our 40th anniversary contingent scheduled for July 19-August 3, 2009. Write us for more information.

      Venceremos Brigade
      PO Box 5202
      Englewood, NJ 07631-5202
      email: vbrigade@...
      voicemail: 212-560-4360
      website: www.venceremosbrigade.org

      "...one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws"
      Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.