Call for Freedom Album: PRican PP CD

  • ProLibertad Campaign
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2007
      The ProLibertad Freedom Campaign
      ProLibertad@... and ProLibertad.Campaign@...
      http://www.ProLibertadWeb.com
      ProLIbertad: 718-601-4751

      A CALL TO CONCERNED ORGANIZATIONS AND INDIVIDUALS

      Calling all Boricua Organizations and individuals regarding a Fund Raising
      CD to aid our Puerto Rican Political Prisoners!!

      The Freedom Album

      The Welfare Poets, The ProLibertad Freedom Campaign and Boricuation have
      come together to collaborate on a fund raising project to directly aid the
      current Puerto Rican Political Prisoners -- incarcerated for fighting for
      the independence and self-determination of Puerto Rico. Additionally, we
      would also want to assist past political prisoners who have been freed and
      are now attempting to survive in a system where many channels are closed to
      them. It is also our intention to create a general legal fund to assist
      present and even possibly future political prisoners.

      We are directing postings to local bands and world renown Puerto Rican
      artists who have the eye of the music world. Depending on how many artists
      come forward and who actually submit songs, there is a potential for us to
      get funds so distribution can be created on a larger scale.

      To Organizations:
      The project is just in the planning stage, and we want to open this process
      up to other organizations and individuals in an effort to create a even more
      grass-rooted foundation and support. There is so much to be done and time
      is most precious. Collectively, our efforts can reach the necessary millions
      to make a significant impact. These are our prisoners, they remain in jail
      and isolated due to our collective inaction and we can remedy this. To join
      the effort, please email us at freedomalbum@...

      Goals of the project:
      ���We hope this album serves to raise the necessary funds as outlined above,
      but also to unify the Puerto Rican community on many levels. Unifying
      Puerto Rican artists from NYC, Chicago, California, Philadelphia, New Jersey
      and all over the Puerto Rican Diaspora, with each other and other artists
      from the island ��� all coming together under the banner of supporting
      those who have sacrificed everything for the love of freedom.

      ���We also hope to unify organizations in an attempt to move forward on
      better grounds on behalf of the companeros .

      ���Not only will we be spreading the word about the Puerto Rican Political
      Prisoners' existence and individual cases to a wide range of individuals
      open their eyes for the first time or updating those who are already in the
      know, but we will also be offering the people a way to assist, all people
      who support the struggle for our companeros release, Puerto Rican and
      beyond.

      The next meeting:

      MONDAY OCTOBER 15th, 2007 AT 7PM at Hunter College East Building
      The Center for Puerto Rican Studies 14th floor room 1441.

      For more information:
      - About the Puerto Rican Political Prisoners and the ProLibertad Freedom
      Campaign, go to: www.ProLibertadweb.com or
      myspace.com/freeourpolitcalprisoners
      - About the Welfare Poets, go to www.welfarepoets.com or
      www.myspace.com/thewelfarepoets
      - About Boricuation, go to: www.myspace.com/boricuationonline
      - You can also log on to myspace.com/freeourpolitcalprisoners for future
      information regarding the project and planning meetings

      Background
      The fight for Puerto Rico's Independence go as far back as indigenous
      resistance to Spanish occupation. For well over 500 years, countless and
      nameless individuals have fought for our islands sovereignty. Some have paid
      the ultimate price with their lives.

      Others have been held captive, arrested against their will, by a court which
      held no jurisdiction over their cases and tramples on their international
      right to fight for the liberation of their homeland, our homeland, Puerto
      Rico. The Puerto Rican people have been able to free many of our political
      prisoners. We did so because we created unity amongst ourselves and because
      we welcomed the solidarity of all our allies. This Freedom Al-bum is another
      example of our creativity in building solidarity and unity amongst
      ourselves.

      This album will educate, agitate and help further build our movement to free
      our companeros behind the walls.

      Our Political Prisoners are:

      Oscar Lopez Rivera was born in San Sebastian, Puerto Rico on January 6,
      1943. At the age of 12, he moved to Chicago with his family. He was a
      well-respected community activist and a prominent independence leader for
      many years prior to his arrest. Oscar was one of the founders of the Rafael
      Cancel Miranda High School, now known as the Dr. Pedro Albizu Campos High
      School and the Juan Antonio Corretjer Puerto Rican Cultural Center. He was a
      community organizer for the Northwest Community Organization (NCO), ASSPA,
      ASPIRA and the 1st Congregational Church of Chicago. He helped to found
      FREE, (a half-way house for convicted drug addicts) and ALAS (an
      educational program for Latino prisoners at Stateville Prison in Illinois ).

      He was active in various community struggles, mainly in the area of health
      care, employment and police brutality. He also participated in the
      development of the Committee to Free the Five Puerto Rican Nationalists. In
      1975, he was forced underground, along with other comrades. He was captured
      on May 29, 1981, after 5 years of being persecuted by the FBI as one of the
      most feared fugitives from US "justice". Oscar, who has a daughter named
      Clarissa, is currently serving a 55-year sentence for seditious conspiracy
      and other charges. He was convicted of conspiracy to escape along with Jaime
      Delgado, (a veteran independence leader), Dora Garcia, (a prominent
      community activist) and Kojo Bomani-Sababu, a New Afrikan political
      prisoner.

      Oscar was one of 13 Puerto Rican political prisoners offered some form of
      leniency by the Clinton Administration in the fall of 1999. According to the
      Chicago Sun Times, he "declined the president's offer, which still would
      have him left with 10 years to serve on conspiracy to escape charges. Now he
      faces at least 20 more years in prison. His sister, Zenaida Lopez, said he
      turned the offer down because he would be on parole. 'Accepting what they
      are offering him is like prison outside of prison,' she said. Zenaida Lopez
      said her brother 'was in total agreement' with the decision of the 11 others
      to take the conditional clemency." Oscar is presently in prison in Terre
      Haute, Indiana and his release date is 7/27/2027.

      Carlos Alberto Torres was born in Ponce, Puerto Rico on September 19, 1952.
      His parents moved to New York , finally settling in Chicago. He studied in
      the University of Illinois in Carbondale and Chicago. He studied sociology
      at Southern Illinois University and the University of Illinois at Chicago .
      Carlos Alberto was involved in the struggles to recruit more Latin@s to the
      University, against racism, and police abuse. Carlos was one of the founders
      of the Rafael Cancel Miranda Puerto Rican High School now known as the Dr.
      Pedro Albizu Campos Puerto Rican High School and participated in the
      Committee to Free the 5 Nationalists. In 1976, Carlos was forced to go
      underground and was on the FBI's 10 most wanted list. He was captured along
      with other comrades and sentenced to 78 years on charges of seditious
      conspiracy, among other charges.

      Although the Clinton Administration offered clemency to 12 Puerto Rican
      political prisoners in the fall of 1999, no leniency was granted to Carlos
      Torres, whom prosecutors described as a leader of the Fuerzas Armadas de
      Liberaci���n Nacional (FALN), an underground organization which fought for
      Puerto Rico's independence in the 1970s and '80s. His release date is 2024.
      He is currently in prison in Oxford, Wisconsin.

      Haydee Beltran Torres was born in Arecibo, Puerto Rico on June 7, 1955. When
      Haydee was 12 years old, her parents moved to Chicago. At Tuley High
      School, she organized a boycott that demanded the firing of a racist
      principal. Haydee attended the University of Illinois where she was an
      outspoken defender of Latino students' rights. Haydee was forced
      underground in 1976 and was captured April 4, 1980. She has been sentenced
      to life in prison on charges including seditious conspiracy. Haydee was the
      first POW to receive a life sentence. She was kept in total isolation from
      the other prisoners of war and was transferred to a special control unit
      which limited visits. It was a year before she was allowed to see her
      family.

      At the MCC in Chicago, she was classified as "no visitors allowed". Haydee
      was subject to physical abuse in interrogations for refusing to implicate
      her comrades in unfounded crimes. This was done several times by FBI and
      other government agents. These and other inhumane acts by the U.S.
      government have led to serious injuries which prison medical directors have
      misdiagnosed; also, Haydee has received injections of unknown medications.

      Jose Perez Gonzalez was born in Ponce, Puerto Rico on January 14th, 1968; he
      is the son of a butcher and his mother is retired government worker. He is
      married with three children. He is a member of Mayaguezano por La Salud y el
      Ambiente. He is well known in his neighborhood, of Barrio Segundo in Ponce
      . He is a family man with three children. He was a civil disobedient and
      served three months in jail for his support activities. Jose was the only
      member of the Vieques 12 who went to trial. He was found guilty and was
      sentenced to five years in jail. His release is 1/17/2008.