Zimbabwe: Security Forces Extend Crackdown to Public

  • ausetkmt
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18 4:23 PM
      ~RE

      ~RE Ausetkmt
      Mama ASID of BadGalsRadio & ASID HI-Power SoundSystem -
      http://badgalsradio.com
      ////////////////////////////////////////
      "Oneness in Purpose, is Success in Action" Mama ASID - July 1997

      From: http://hrw-news-africa.c.topica.com/maaf8liabxwrka4QHAnb/

      (Johannesburg, March 28, 2007) – The government of Zimbabwe has
      permitted security forces to commit serious abuses with impunity against
      opposition activists and ordinary Zimbabweans alike, Human Rights Watch
      said today. Security forces are responsible for arbitrary arrests and
      detentions and beatings of opposition Movement for Democratic Change
      (MDC) supporters, civil society activists, and the general public.

      The Southern African Development Community (SADC) heads of state are
      meeting today at an extraordinary summit in Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania to
      discuss, among other issues, the political situation in Zimbabwe.
      Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe is scheduled to attend the meeting.
      Human Rights Watch called on the sub-regional organization to take
      strong measures to address the escalating crisis.

      "The government of Zimbabwe has intensified its brutal suppression of
      its own citizens in an effort to crush all forms of dissent," said
      Georgette Gagnon, deputy Africa director at Human Rights Watch. "The
      crackdown shows the government has extended its attack on political
      dissent to ordinary Zimbabweans, which should prompt the SADC to act
      quickly."

      Human Rights Watch recently spent two weeks in Zimbabwe interviewing
      many victims of abuse and witnesses to the political unrest in the
      cities of Harare, Bulawayo and Mutare. Witnesses and victims from
      Harare's high-density suburbs of Glenview, Highfield and Mufakose told
      Human Rights Watch that for the past few weeks police forces patrolling
      these locations have randomly and viciously beaten Zimbabweans in the
      streets, shopping malls, and in bars and beer halls.

      Police forces have also gone house-to-house beating people with batons,
      stealing possessions and accusing them of supporting the opposition. The
      terror caused by the police has forced many families in the affected
      areas into a self-imposed curfew after dark.

      The recent escalation of political unrest in Zimbabwe began when police
      imposed a three-month ban on all political rallies and meetings in
      Harare on February 21, 2007. The opposition MDC and civil society
      activists vowed to defy the ban. Since then, hundreds of MDC members,
      including its leader Morgan Tsvangirai, and civil society activists have
      been arrested and detained around the country. On March 15, for example,
      14 MDC members were arrested in Bulwayo for failing to notify the police
      about plans to organize a demonstration. They were released without
      charge the following day. On March 16, four students were arrested at
      the University of Zimbabwe campus and accused by police of being
      "security threats" before being released on the same day without charge.

      The violent police disruption of a prayer meeting organized by the Save
      Zimbabwe Campaign on March 11, and the subsequent arrest of MDC and
      civil society activists, led to skirmishes between opposition members
      and security forces in several high-density surburbs in Harare.
      According to police reports, three police officers were injured in a
      clash with opposition members before the prayer meeting. Police reports
      published in the state-run Herald newspaper also alleged that MDC
      activists had engaged in acts of violence, including the petrol bombing
      of several police stations around the country, which in one case
      severely burned three police officers. These events have triggered a
      brutal government backlash against activists and ordinary Zimbabweans.

      "The government ought to prosecute those accused of violent acts but it
      shouldn't respond to political unrest with ever more brutal and
      excessive force," said Gagnon.

      On March 14, police severely beat 10 employees of a local store in
      Mufakose, Harare. The shop manager told Human Rights Watch:

      The police who attacked us were more than 50. They hit us just outside
      the store as we were locking up for the night and leaving. More than
      eight vehicles of police came and they said 'everybody sit down.' We
      were dressed in our store uniform. I tried to negotiate with them to say
      we were just employees but the first one beat me with a baton and I sat
      down. They hit me on my leg and my shoulder was also hurt. They were
      beating us with batons, rifle butts and they were kicking us.... They
      were saying 'you are MDC people.' We are now so scared.

      In another case on March 14, one man told Human Rights Watch how a group
      of 12 policemen brutally assaulted him at a bar in Glenview, Harare:

      I was accosted by one policeman who told me to come outside. But when I
      got outside there were two more policemen armed with batons and they
      begun to beat me. They beat me thouroughly and then they told me to go
      but I fell down and they started beating me again. They were joined by
      other policemen and there was now a chain of policemen beating me with
      batons and kicking me in the ribs everywhere. They were telling me 'you
      are beating policemen, don't do that.' I told them that I didn't know
      anything about beating policemen but they continued hitting me. I fell
      unconscious and when I woke up I was taken to Harare central hospital
      where they took an x-ray. They found I had a broken arm and badly
      bruised ribs.

      A 15-year-old girl and her mother were abducted on March 19 at Warren
      Park D in Harare by a group of unknown persons, they alleged to be
      government supporters. The girl described her ordeal to Human Rights
      Watch:

      We were put into a car and blindfolded and we didn't know where we were
      going. Then they put us into another vehicle. I think it was an open
      truck. They took us to Mount Hampden and we were taken out of the car
      and badly beaten with clenched fists and kicked while we were there.
      They were saying 'your father is an MDC supporter and you are the ladies
      of Women of Zimabwe Arise and that is why we are beating you up.' We
      were hit on our heads, our backs, our legs, everywhere. We were just
      beaten up very badly. We haven't reported the case to the police because
      it is no use. They will just arrest us again because those people who
      beat us are part of that. It's no use.

      The girl and other victims of similar abuses told Human Rights Watch
      that they believe members of Zimbabwe's Central Intelligence
      Organization, members of the ruling ZANU PF party and its 'youth
      militia,' were the likely perpetrators of these abuses and other acts of
      intimidation, abduction and assault of opposition members and civil
      society activists.

      "The government should investigate and if necessary punish abuses by the
      security forces," said Gagnon.

      The Zimbabwean government has legal obligations under several
      international and African human rights treaties, including the
      International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and the African
      Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights, which require it to respect the
      right to life and to physical integrity, as well as the freedoms of
      association, expression and assembly. Human Rights Watch called on the
      government to ensure respect for these obligations, and launch an
      immediate and independent investigation into abuses by security forces
      around the country.

      Human Rights Watch also called on the Zimbabwean security forces to
      abide by the UN Basic Principles on the Use of Force and Firearms by Law
      Enforcement Officials in policing demonstrations. The principles state
      that law enforcement officials, in carrying out their duties, apply
      nonviolent means as far as possible before resorting to the use of
      force. Whenever the lawful use of force is unavoidable, law enforcement
      officials must use restraint and act in proportion to the seriousness of
      the offense.

      Human Rights Watch expressed deep concern that the SADC has so far
      failed to make a concerted effort to address the Zimbabwean government's
      repeated violations of fundamental human rights. Zimbabwe is a member
      state of the SADC and all member states commit themselves to respect
      human rights.

      "The Zimbabwe government's flagrant violations of its citizens' rights
      have contributed to the country's political crisis," said Gagnon.
      "Southern African leaders' failure to take strong action over Zimbabwe
      would be a betrayal of the SADC's commitment to protect and respect
      human rights."

      Human Rights Watch called on SADC leaders to:

      * Strongly condemn and demand an end to all human rights abuses
      committed in Zimbabwe, including the recent acts of violence and
      brutality by security forces against Zimabweans, impunity for police
      abuse, arbitrary arrests and detentions of opposition supporters and
      civil society activists, and the general climate of repression faced by
      Zimbabwe's citizens.
      * Consistently and publicly condemn any further abuses committed by the
      Zimbabwean authorities, such as refusals to allow political opposition
      rallies and other acts of political repression. The SADC should stand
      united in publicly demanding greater respect for freedom of assembly,
      association, and expression in Zimbabwe.
      * Call on the Zimbabwean government to establish an independent
      commission of inquiry with participation from the SADC into recent
      abuses by security forces.

      "The time has come for Southern African leaders to work together to
      ensure the crisis in Zimbabwe doesn't destabilize the entire region."

      Related Material

      Zimbabwe
      http://hrw-news-africa.c.topica.com/maaf8liabxwrla4QHAnb/

      "You Will Be Thoroughly Beaten": The Brutal Suppression of Dissent in
      Zimbabwe
      Report, November 1, 2006
      http://hrw-news-africa.c.topica.com/maaf8liabxwrma4QHAnb/

      Zimbabwe: Government Intensifies Crackdown on Dissent
      Press Release, November 1, 2006
      http://hrw-news-africa.c.topica.com/maaf8liabxwrna4QHAnb/

      From: http://hrw-news-africa.c.topica.com/maaf8liabxwrka4QHAnb/

      Please help support the research that made this bulletin possible. In
      order
      to protect our objectivity, Human Rights Watch does not accept funding
      from
      any government. We depend entirely on the generosity of people like you.
      To make a contribution, please visit
      http://hrw-news-africa.c.topica.com/maaf8liabxwroa4QHAnb/