Rep. McKinney Special Order Censored???

  • The Talking Drum Collective Newsletter
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 14, 2005
      Rep. McKinney Special Order Censored???
      By Rep. Cynthia McKinney
      September 11, 2005

      http://www.assatashakur.org/forums/upload/showthread.php?t=9603

      I mentioned the word impeachment on the House Floor Thursday late afternoon, but I don't seeit in the official Congressional Record transcript. I was chided by the Speaker that it wasout of order to question the President's motives. I didn't question motives, I questionedactions: from lack of actions on Katrina to cutting the budget of safety net programs, torewarding the rich to the detriment of all the rest of us. This transcript directly from theCongressional Record is mangled and omits that word!!!! I can't believe this.

      Please read the attachment (I don't normally do attachments) and see if I missed it. If Ihear back from you that it is, indeed, missing, then I will say the word repeatedly on theHouse Floor upon my return to force them to put my words as I say them in the CongressionalRecord.

      In this talk, I discuss Katrina, the State of Black America, the State of Hispanic America,poverty in America, and the Katrina timelines being developed that will keep us from fallingvictim to the White House spin. In addition to explosive information given to me frominvestigative journalists and whistleblowers, there is one particularly perniciousdevelopment taking place: bioweapons labs under water with who knows what having beenreleased into the environment. People desperate for jobs must be informed what the heckhas been unleashed in the devastated areas as a result of Katrina. Anyone involved in cleanupmust have this information before entering New Orleans. I shudder to ponder all theramifications of Katrina. Although I didn't finish my remarks, and I'm told they also shutthe microphone off as I was concluding my remarks--something I don't remember ever havingbeen done to a Member before--I think you get the message here that high crimes and more thanmisdemeanors have been visited upon the American people.

      THE TREMENDOUS CHALLENGES THAT FACE OUR COUNTRY -- (House of Representatives - September 08,2005)

      [Page: H7801] GPO's PDF

      ---

      The SPEAKER pro tempore (Miss McMorris). Under the Speaker's announced policy of January 4,2005, the gentlewoman from Georgia (Ms. McKinney) is recognized for 60 minutes as thedesignee of the minority leader.

      Ms. McKINNEY. Madam Speaker, I have got a lot of papers and a lot of posters. One hour willin no way accommodate all that needs to be said tonight about the tremendous challenges thatface our country today, including how we conduct ourselves in the aftermath of HurricaneKatrina.

      While my remarks tonight in no way should be construed as encompassing all of my thoughts onthe very important issues that I discuss tonight, just mark this down as a start.

      First, let me say that I am especially proud of the way the people of my district and of thiscountry have wrapped their arms around the victims of Hurricane Katrina. At this time, wehave a healthy contingent of expert Georgians in the traumatized gulf States, and we havereceived thousands of Katrina's victims into our cities, churches, and homes.

      I have come to this floor on many occasions. People around the world have commented on howshocked they are to see such poverty in America. While cities and localities passanti-panhandling measures that criminalize begging tourists and visitors in downtown areasasking for help, Hurricane Katrina washed away America's veneer of populist opportunity, acountry that has overcome its racist, slave-holding past, a country ready for world dominionbecause it has learned how to uplift the human spirit at home.

      Katrina, in images as stark and undeniable as could be, has laid bare the Republican lie thatits policies promote growth and prosperity for all Americans and leave no child behind, whileKatrina put into our living rooms and the world's living rooms the cruel hoax that has beenplayed on America and those who love America by the ruthless sybaritic power player eliteswho are as responsible for the conditions endured by too many Americans as they are for theembarrassing and breathtaking incompetencies we all witnessed just before Labor Day.

      Almost 30,000 New Orleans households live on less than $10,000 per year. More babies andyoung kids are going hungry in our country. Eleven percent of our families experienced hungerin 2003. One million more Americans are living in poverty today than there were 1 year ago.Income distribution has become obscenely skewed toward the rich during the Bush years. InManhattan, the poor make two cents for each dollar that the rich make. This places Manhattanon par with Namibia for income disparity.

      Interestingly, in the financial capital of the world, New York City, the Bronx is thepoorest urban county in the country, and New York State is being depleted of its middleclass.

      America is being depleted of its middle class. Over 50 percent of America's income goes tothe top 20 percent of households. With even more tax cuts for the wealthy on the horizon,coupled with real budget cuts for the programs that are forced to take care of more and moreAmericans, the situation can only be expected to get worse, sadly.

      Incomes for 95 percent of American households are flat or falling. Only the top 5 percent areexperiencing the growth that we hear the Republicans talk about.

      Now, I have got tons of documentation to offer for all of the statistics that we cite, butlet me take a moment and reiterate where we are for all the people who are listening tonight.

      [Time: 18:15]

      Let me recall for just a moment the America they might not know but that more of us arecoming all too well to know.

      I will start with this poster, which depicts a black man hanging from a tree. The captionsays "The body of Robert McNair is seen here as residents and schoolchildren in theGeorgetown community saw it between about 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. last Thursday.'' This was on thefront page of the Jackson, Mississippi, Advocate the week of October 23 to 29 when I was inMississippi for a speaking engagement. This was what I saw.

      Sadly, it is what the children in the neighborhood saw, a black man hanging from a tree. Alynching. That is 2003. I am not talking about 1903. This is 2003. Sadly, in 2005, we havetwo lynchings being investigated in the State of Georgia, my home State, and both of them aresupposed to have been suicides. In this story it was reported that this poor Mr. RobertMcNair committed suicide, hanging from a tree.

      When I come to the floor and do these monthly talks, some way or other we get around to thestate of black America because it is important for us to understand that there are manyAmericans, and some of those Americans we do not see and we do not know. But we need to knowhow all Americans live so that we can make sure that no American is left behind.

      On some indices, even today, it is true that the racial disparities are worse today than theywere at the time of the murder of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. People would say it is nottrue, but, alas, it is true. And, of course, the statistics document that sad truth. Unitedfor a Fair Economy gives us these statistics in its State of the Dream report onimprisonment. To close the racial gap, it will take 190 years just so that black people areimprisoned for the same crime at the same rate as white people are imprisoned.

      What about poverty? We saw a lot of that. Overall poverty, the racial disparity, 150 years toclose the gap. Why does that have to be? At the slow rate that the black-white poverty gaphas been narrowing since 1968, it would take 150 years to close the gap.

      What about child poverty? Two hundred ten years to close the gap. Almost one-third of blackchildren live in poverty. The child poverty gap would take 210 years to disappear, notreaching parity until 2212.

      I would like to thank the National Council for La Raza that provided us with thesestatistics, the proportion of children without health insurance in the United States, homeownership rates. Look and you can see the proportion of children without health insurance inthe United States. Look at the Hispanic figures. Look at that. Twenty-five percent of youngLatino children do not have health insurance in this country.

      What about home ownership rates, because we hear a lot of talk about the growth economy, andthe Republicans and the President talk about promoting home ownership, home ownership, thefirst tier toward building wealth, okay? Well, if you are lucky enough to be able to own ahome, sadly black and Hispanic home ownership rates are low. How low? To close the homeownership gap, the disparity between white home ownership and black home ownership, the firsttier toward

      [Page: H7802] GPO's PDF

      wealth building, it will take 1,664 years to close the home ownership gap.

      This is something that so many Americans take for granted. Yet so many Americans still have adream for home ownership.

      Now, what about income? It will take 581 years for us to close the per capita income gap.Since 1968, we have only been able to close the gap 2 cents. Black people make 55 cents forevery dollar. That was in 1968. In 2001, it was 57 cents. Two cents, so 581 years to closethe gap.

      When some people start talking about how we want to build, rebuild, and provide for folks,that is what this Congress is supposed to do. We should build lives, we should buildcommunities, build neighborhoods, and protect our people.

      When it comes to the economic conditions that are prevailing for so many Americans, it isalmost a joke. Here is a cartoon from the Washington Post. This is the sybaritic power playerwho is pulling the strings behind the scene, calling the shots, dictating politics andpolicy; and he is saying, "It is not trickle down economics. We got the plumbing fixed.''Here is the poor little fella down here, little panhandler trying to wait to get some of thestuff that is trickling down, and it is not trickling down any more.

      Poverty is up. Median income down. That is the result of the policies of the Bushadministration since 2001.

      What about all these tax cuts? New Orleans has got a lot of attention now because of what hashappened, and we hear and we will hear some of our colleagues on the other side of the aislesuggesting that we need to do more tax cuts. Well, the faces of the people that came into ourliving rooms from Hurricane Katrina got this much from George Bush's tax cuts. But if youhappened to make over $200,000 a year, you got this much from George Bush's tax cuts.

      It is so clear that the administration wants to serve some of the people all of the time andfool the rest of us all of the time. The tax cuts, we should not hear another word utteredabout the need for more of the kind of tax cuts that the Bush administration has given usthus far. This insensitive policymaking that ends up hurting real people leads to a kind ofcallousness within our society that we do not recognize sometimes, that we do not noticesometimes.

      It is easy to pass an anti-panhandling ordinance in the city of Atlanta because we do notfeel the pain of the people who do not eat at night. So it is also easy to demonize people.It is easy to demonize people that you do not know.

      This made it around the Internet until Agence France-Presse pulled their photo off. Buthow is it that we can have a media in this country displaying one young man wading throughthat putrid water and the American press, the Associated Press, says that he is "looting.''Then you have two people who are obviously not black and they are "finding.'' This youngman, according to the Associated Press, walks through chest-deep floodwater after "looting''a grocery store. Two residents wade through chest-deep water after "finding'' bread and soda.

      This is the America of those statistics. This is the America that all Americans need to knowand see. This is the America that too many of us have borne the brunt of generation aftergeneration after generation after generation.

      And then, they called them "refugees.'' Some bright light in the media came up with thatone to further dehumanize poor black people in New Orleans. I had some New Orleansresidents in my congressional office in Georgia who said that they had never, ever thoughtthat they would be called refugees in their own country. Other insensitive language justshows how totally out of touch the leadership of this country is with the Americanpeople.

      [Time: 18:30]

      While the city was still flooding, Speaker Hastert suggested that New Orleans should not berebuilt.

      As the mostly black people were herded into what looked like concentration camps, BarbaraBush suggested that they were really better off now than they were before. Well, maybeshe has got something there, because it took losing an entire city for the "compassionateconservatives'' in Washington, D.C., to finally get some compassion in the laws they pass, inthe policies they enact, in what they do around here.

      And you can imagine my surprise to hear the very people who chose not to adequately fundeducation, health care, affordable housing, now saying we have got to have Pell grants,Section 8 vouchers, schooling for children. It is what some of us have been saying all along.

      Now, you can just about bet your bottom dollar that the Karl Rove spin machine is workingovertime to whitewash the Bush administration preparations for the response to Katrina. Letus remember as we go through this that the State and local responders were victims too. Thatis why it is critical that the feds act. But they did not act, notwithstanding anything thatcomes out of the spin machine.

      Kathleen Blanco, the governor of Louisiana said, "We wanted soldiers, helicopters, food andwater. They wanted to negotiate an organizational chart.'' This is from the New York Times."Far from deferring to State or local officials, FEMA asserted its authority and made thingsworse,'' according to Mr. Broussard, and I will talk about him a little bit later, whocomplained on Meet the Press.

      Mayor Nagin said, "The root of the breakdown was the failure of the Federal Government todeliver relief supplies and personnel quickly. They kept promising and saying things wouldhappen. I was getting excited and telling people that. They kept making promises andpromises.''

      MSNBC informs us that FEMA Director Michael Brown waited 5 hours after the storm's landfallto get agency assistance, to get agency aid from the Department of Homeland Security.

      Now, another thing that we need to know about, there are so many things that our governmentdoes in our name with our tax dollars, on our behalf supposedly, that we do not know about.The Bush administration has opened up these biodefense labs all over the country. In about20, 25 universities around the country we have got biodefense labs studying I do not knowwhat.

      I can remember the Tuskegee Study. I remember MK-Ultra as an African American. I rememberPaul Robeson. But Tulane University is under water, and Tulane University houses one ofthese biodefense labs. We need to know what the heck was in that lab, what was going on inthat biodefense lab.

      Some of the headlines. Notwithstanding what you may hear from the other side of the aisle orcoming out of the White House about how everyone has to share the blame, these are some ofthe headlines.

      "FEMA won't accept Amtrak's help in evacuations.''

      "FEMA turns away experienced firefighters.''

      "FEMA turns back Wal-Mart supply trucks.''

      "FEMA prevents Coast Guard from delivering diesel fuel.''

      "Homeland Security won't let Red Cross deliver food.''

      "FEMA bars morticians from entering New Orleans.''

      "FEMA blocks 500-boat citizen flotilla from delivering aid.''

      "FEMA fails to utilize Navy ship with 600-bed hospital on board.''

      "FEMA to Chicago: Send just one truck.''

      "FEMA turns away generators.''

      "FEMA first responders urged not to respond.''

      Those are just a few of the headlines. I have got all of the documentation, of course.

      There is also a story about three U.S. Customs Blackhawk helicopter crews that are absolutelylivid because they had been directed not to provide full-time support for the hurricanerelief effort in the Gulf.

      "Navy ship nearby underused.'' This is from the Chicago Tribune. A craft with food, water,doctors. All it needed was the orders. It never got the orders.

      "Federal agency slow to accept business help.'' This is from the Financial Times, "Federalagency slow to accept business help. From Wal-Mart's satellite-based communications system toFedEx's aircraft, U.S. business has in some cases managed to provide a swifter response tothe initial impacts of Hurricane Katrina than the Federal and State authorities.''

      This is from the Salt Lake City Tribune: "Frustrated fire crews to hand out

      [Page: H7803] GPO's PDF

      fliers for FEMA. Many of the firefighters assembled from Utah and throughout the UnitedStates by FEMA thought they were going to be deployed as emergency workers. Instead, theyhave learned they are going to be community relations officers for FEMA, shuffling throughoutthe gulf coast region to disseminate fliers and a phone number, 1-800-621-FEMA,'' which doesnot work most of the time.

      Now, I know that American children can do better in geography, but you would think that atleast our emergency management people would get their geography right. CNN.com says, Well,they were supposed to go to Charleston. My colleague from Charleston, we were in a meetingon Tuesday night, and he said they had the shelter all set up with supplies, cots, blanketsand everything, and nobody came. Now we find out that this is why they did not come. Theywere supposed to be in Charleston, South Carolina. Guess where FEMA took them? Charleston,West Virginia. What incompetence. Right city, wrong State. CNN.com.

      I cannot even imagine. No one should imagine. It is ridiculous. But they are going to tellyou everything is all right.

      The New York Times tells us, "Navy pilots who rescued victims are reprimanded.'' What? "TwoNavy helicopter pilots and their crews returned from New Orleans on August 30 expecting to begreeted as lifesavers after ferrying more than 100 victims to safety. Instead, they werereprimanded.''

      Well, we are working on this, since I serve on the Committee on Armed Services. But the sadthing about it is, when we had our briefing on Tuesday evening, the Secretary of Defense,Secretary of Homeland Security, Secretary of Labor, Secretary of Treasury, Secretary of HUDwere all there at the briefing, except that Defense kept going in and out, Homeland Securitykept going in and out, could not stay long enough to brief the Members of Congress or to hearfrom the Members of Congress who are directly impacted by their failure, their incompetence.

      Malik Rahin is a former Black Panther Party member. In a very compelling radio interview hesaid, "You want more morality from the poor than from the rich.'' But he rejected the ideathat New Orleans was a city divided by race. He said, "Whites took their boats and went intoblack neighborhoods. But it was the feds who forced people to leave their possessions. Oncethey got rescued, they had to leave their possessions. They could only take one bag.''

      He says, "Over 70 percent of the people who were rescued were rescued by individuals.'' Thenhe went on to say something very interesting. He said, "$90 million of HOPE VI construction,but the people who needed it the most in New Orleans got no training, no community service.''

      Louisiana has the highest dropout rate in the country. He said, "Juvenile justice is adisgrace.'' He said, "The only equal opportunity employer here is drugs.''

      We heard a lot about shooting. He says, "White vigilante groups with shotguns and rifles rodearound saying they were going to shoot the looters.'' They were unchecked. There could havebeen a riot. He says, "There was about to be a race riot.''

      He said, "Many whites took their own personal boats into the black community. Too many actsof heroism, sharing ice, sharing water.''

      Then he mentions Jefferson Parish had to secede from the United States of America. So I wantto mention the Jefferson Parish president.

      But before that I am going to mention what Mayor Nagin in a wonderfully compelling interviewwith WWL said when he had the opportunity to speak directly with President Bush. He said, "Itold him we had an incredible crisis here and that his flying over in Air Force One does notdo it justice, and that I have been all around this city, and I am very frustrated because weare not able to marshal resources and we are outmanned in just about every respect.''

      But in perhaps the most compelling of all of the interviews that we have seen, and these areall available on the Internet, is Aaron Broussard, president of Jefferson Parish, on Meet thePress. He said, "Sir, they were told, like me, every single day the cavalry is coming on theFederal level, the cavalry is coming, the cavalry is coming, the cavalry is coming. I havejust begun to hear the hooves of the cavalry. The cavalry is still not out here yet, but Ihave begun to hear the hooves, and we are almost a week out.''

      Then he gives three quick examples, one of the Wal-Mart delivery trucks, three trucks ofwater. FEMA turned them back. They had 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel on a Coast Guard vessel.It was docked in Jefferson Parish. The Coast Guard said, "Come and get the fuel right away.When we got there with our trucks, they got the word. FEMA says, `Don't give the fuel.'Yesterday, yesterday FEMA comes in and cuts all our communication lines.'' Why is FEMAcutting communications?

      "The guy who runs the building I am in, Emergency Management,'' this is Aaron Broussard onMeet the Press, "he is responsible for everything. His mother was trapped in St. BernardNursing Home, and every day she called him and said, `Are you coming, son? Is somebodycoming?' He said, `Yeah, mama, somebody is coming to get you.' `Somebody is coming to get youon Tuesday.' `Somebody is coming to get you on Wednesday.' `Somebody is coming to get you onThursday.' `Somebody is coming to get you on Friday.' And she drowned Friday night.''

      [Time: 18:45]

      And she drowned Friday night. "Nobody is coming to get us. Nobody is coming to get us. TheSecretary has promised. Everybody has promised. They have had press conferences. I'm sick ofthe press conferences. For God's sake, just shut up and send us somebody.'' Aaron Broussard.

      Want the facts? The FEMA chief waited 5 hours after Katrina made landfall on August 29. Fivehours.

      It is clear also that the administration would like to avoid a blame game. They want to doeverything to not discuss the failures. What is Michael Brown's reaction to all of this?Michael Brown, FEMA director, says in a CNN interview: "Considering the dire circumstancesthat we have in New Orleans, virtually a city that has been destroyed, things are goingrelatively well.'' That is our FEMA director, Michael Brown. How out of touch could this manhave been?

      Those 9/11 activists know how critical it is to construct a timeline, because the timelinetells us who did what and when they did it. The timeline will tell us the truth. The timelinecuts through the spin. So, of course, I made a point to get in touch with the folks who werecollecting the timelines, and there are a lot of timelines available on the Internet. ThinkProgress has a timeline, and WWL also has a timeline.

      All the while this was going on, the news media reported that the Iraq war costs nowexceed Vietnam's. But I think it is pretty clear that the Iraq war is costing us more thanmoney. Let us just look at where some of those assets were. Mississippi has 40 percent ofits National Guard forces in Iraq. Louisiana has 35 percent of its National Guard forces inIraq. Florida has 26 percent. Alabama has 23 percent of its National Guard forces in Iraq.

      On June 8, 2004, in the New Orleans Times-Picayune, Walter Maestri, who is emergencymanagement chief for Jefferson Parish, said, "It appears that the money has been moved in thePresident's budget to handle homeland security and the war in Iraq. And I suppose that'sthe price we pay. Nobody locally is happy that the levees can't be finished, and we're doingeverything we can to make the case that this is a security issue for us.'' Security, we aregoing to discuss that in a minute.

      On April 24, 2004, the Times-Picayune said: "Less money is available to the Army Corps ofEngineers to build levees and water projects in the Mississippi River Valley this year andnext year.'' Nobody can say they did not know, were not warned, whatever it is that the spinmachine might come up with.

      National Geographic Magazine, October 2004, came up with an article that reported on asimulation, I will not call it a game, but a simulation of what would happen should ahurricane hit New Orleans: "As the whirling maelstrom approached the coast, more than amillion people evacuated to higher ground. Some 200,000 remained, however. The carless, thehomeless, the aged, the infirm, and those die-hard

      [Page: H7804] GPO's PDF

      New Orleanians who look for any excuse to throw a party.'' It goes on to describe justexactly what happened during Hurricane Katrina, but that was in October 2004.

      The Louisiana National Guard also knew that they were paying a price that was perhaps toohigh. On August 1 the Louisiana National Guard complained that they were taking criticalequipment to Iraq that should have remained in Louisiana. But when the Bush administrationdoes not like what one says, they just fire them. So there was a former Member of Congressthat I had the pleasure to serve with, Mike Parker from Mississippi, who was with the ArmyCorps of Engineers. He complained that they were cutting the Army Corps of Engineers budgettoo much, and so he was forced out.

      Now it turns out that Michael Brown was forced out too. He was forced out from the job he hadbefore he became the FEMA assistant director and then director. Let me see if I can read thiscorrectly. Michael Brown's previous employment was with the International Arabian HorseAssociation, and he was fired from that job too. They said that he was asked to resign. Andso, of course, eminently qualified to serve in the Bush administration; he gets one of themost important jobs in the country with the lives of the American people in his hands.

      We know that this is what they do, hurting people whom they disagree with, because there isthe case of another Army Corps of Engineers employee by the name of Bunnatine Greenhouse, whocomplained about the no-bid sweetheart deal private contracts going to Halliburton. Well, shewas forced out of her job too because, even though Vice President Dick Cheney still gets hisdeferred compensation checks from Halliburton Corporation, I guess the Bush administration isnot finished with Halliburton, because they have been hired to do the storm cleanup. Is thereno other corporation in America? Why is it that it always has to be Halliburton?

      Well, the Times-Picayune calls for the firing of Michael Brown; and I have signed my name tomany letters that are floating around here calling for his firing, his resignation,Chertoff's as well; and in a minute somebody on this House floor is going to mentionimpeachment.

      But as if making sure that Halliburton got what they needed to get, I checked the FEMA Website, and on the FEMA Web site it says: "Help the victims of Hurricane Katrina.'' First onthe list is American Red Cross. We remember that during 9/11, there were many complaints fromthe victims of 9/11, and I remember seeing one report of the symphony orchestra getting someof the 9/11 contributions. But there is Operation Blessing. Operation Blessing was foundedby Pat Robertson. That is the same Pat Robertson who called for the assassination of a dulyelected president, Hugo Chavez, of Venezuela. How can FEMA recommend that someone who callsfor the murder of somebody else get hard-earned money from the American people? It is on theFEMA Web site, and it is outrageous.

      But there is more. Sadly, there is more. I agree with the Tom Hartman article: "You Can'tGovern if You Don't Believe in Government.'' What we have witnessed here in utter starkrelief is the culmination of all of that Republican ideology against government, against thepeople, against helping people who are in need. Ronald Reagan was elected President bysaying: "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, `I'm from the governmentand I'm here to help.''' Newt Gingrich in 1995 told us what he thought about government. Hewas speaking about Medicare. He said: "Now, we don't want to get rid of it in round onebecause we don't think that's politically smart and we do not think that's the right way togo through a transition. But we believe it is going to wither on the vine because we thinkpeople are going to voluntarily leave it.'' Wither on the vine.

      Grover Norquist in 2001 said this, and I think this encapsulates it all: "I don't want toabolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into thebathroom and drown it in the bathtub.''

      That is how these people feel about government. So I am not surprised that the Army Corps ofEngineers budget is cut to the extent it is cut. I am not surprised.

      Here, Bush's agenda is to cut government services to the bone and make people rely on theprivate sector for the things they need. So he sliced $71 million from the budget of the NewOrleans Corps of Engineers, a 44 percent reduction. In addition, the President cut $30million in flood control. And then Bush took to the airwaves on "Good Morning America'' onSeptember 1 and said, "I don't think anyone anticipated that breach of the levees.''

      [Time: 19:00]

      "I don't think anyone anticipated that breach of the levees.''

      Now, in stark contrast to the way the Department of Homeland Security mobilized to secure thepeople of the gulf States, within 48 hours of the notification of the death of Chief JusticeRehnquist, Bush nominated Roberts to serve as Chief Justice. They are real fast at doing somethings.

      Now, at some point, we have to talk about values and priorities and how it has become thatour values and our priorities are so twisted and mangled now. We are focusing on otherthings, and some of those things are important. I am not going to say that everything is notso important that has become a priority. We had a resolution today that six people votedagainst to give Bush another blank check in the war on terrorism. I was one of the six.

      No more blank checks, Mr. President, not for war, not for war.

      I went to the Committee on Homeland Security's Web site, and I just thought I would look andsee which subcommittee has jurisdiction for natural disasters. Well, I could not believe it.I did not see any mention at all of natural disasters. So I went to one of our interns, whoseeyes are a whole lot younger than mine, and I said, Would you please scour the entirewebsite, because I have put in a search and it did not come up in a search; scour the entirewebsite, and I want you to highlight the number of times you see the mention of the twowords, "natural disaster.''

      It is not mentioned. It is not mentioned. On the entire Committee on Homeland Security Website "natural disaster'' is not mentioned.

      Now, a young man had a script before him, and he was supposed to read the script, but he tookthe opportunity to deviate from the script and speak his mind. His name is Kanye West. He hasbeen on the cover of all these national magazines talking about how he is the most brilliantnew hip-hop, rap artist, Kanye West. And now, he is being vilified because he dared to take adetour from what some people wanted him to say and say what he wanted to say, which is, quitefrankly, the origins of hip-hop anyway, young people who have something to say and have foundthe means to say it.

      Kanye West said, "I hate the way they portray us in the media. You see a black family; itsays they are `looting.' You see a white family; it says they are `looking for food.' And,you know, it has been 5 days, because most of the people are black, and even for me tocomplain about it, I would be a hypocrite, because I have tried to turn away from the TVbecause it is too hard to watch. I have even been shopping before even giving a donation.

      "So now I am calling my business manager right now to see what is the biggest amount I cangive,'' notice he said he is calling his business manager; I want you to pay attention tothat. "And, just imagine if I was down there and those are my people down there. So anybodyout there that wants to do anything that we can help with the way America is set up to helpthe poor, the black people, the less well off, as slow as possible.''

      Now, NBC censored that. NBC has decided that they can determine what we hear from thesmartest young man in hip-hop.

      He also said, "George Bush doesn't care about black people.'' NBC censored it. They deletedhis remarks. And MSNBC President Rick Kaplan, who produced the telethon at Rockefeller Plazain New York, had the cameras cut to actor Chris Tucker who was on a different part of thestage and who appeared to be looking off at something else in the camera. So it was the MSNBCpresident, who was also the producer, who said, Well, you know, maybe the American people donot need to hear the smartest young man in hip-hop's ideas about George Bush.

      [Page: H7805] GPO's PDF

      Thank goodness, I can come to the floor of the House and speak my piece. And as long asC-SPAN cameras are running, well, it will not be cut off, but I understand there is even aneffort to try and limit C-SPAN's access to American households.

      But I have to tell my colleagues something. As I saw the African Americans, mostly AfricanAmerican families ripped apart, I could only think about slavery, families ripped apart,herded into what looked like concentration camps. So I was reminded of a Miami Herald articlewritten on July 5, the day after Freedom Day, 1987.

      The title of the article was "Reagan Aides and the Secret Government,'' and here is aquote from that article: "A copy of the memo was obtained by the Herald. The scenariooutlined in the Brinkerhoff memo resembles somewhat a paper Giufreda had written in 1970 atthe Army War College in Carlyle, Pennsylvania, in which he advocated martial law in case of anational uprising by black militants.'' In which he advocated martial law in case of anational uprising by black militants. The paper also advocated the roundup and transfer oftwo "assembly centers or relocation camps of at least 21 million American Negroes.''

      Now, I did not write that; the U.S. Government wrote that. They were going to round up 21million Negroes because they were afraid of freeing black people. A story of neglect? I amnot surprised about any story of neglect of the people that comes from this body with thisset of priorities, that passes these kinds of budgets on the backs of the American people,these kinds of tax cuts on the backs of the American people.

      I want to commend my sister Congresswoman, the gentlewoman from California (Ms. Lee), who hassaid that it is time for us to get serious about poverty in this country. It is time for usto get serious. I am a proud cosponsor of legislation with the gentlewoman from California(Ms. Lee).

      I will just conclude by saying that on the United States State Department Web site is "Howto identify misinformation.'' Does the story fit the pattern of a conspiracy theory?

      "Now is the time for us to come together with one another, to organize, to speak out andspeak up on behalf of each other. There is no time to waste, while we debate, define, anddiscuss; the enemy continues his genocidal plan. We need to bear in mind the Ashanti proverb:'Two men in a burning house must not stop to argue.' " - Dr. Mutulu Shakur

      UHURU! - FREE'EM ALL! - AFRICA MUST UNITE!

      Assata Shakur Forum - http://www.assatashakur.org/forum
      FTP Dollar A Month Club - http://www.ftpmovement.com/dollar.html
      Pan African TV - http://www.PanAfrican.TV
      The Talking Drum - http://www.thetalkingdrum.com