Security Tightened for Man Accused of Killing Rhode Island Detective

  • Ishaq
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2005
      http://victoria.indymedia.org/news/2005/04/40377.php

      Security Tightened for Man Accused of Killing Rhode Island Detective

      If this black male was and is, suffering from some sort of mental problem, why isn't he in a hospital being evaluated like any other suspect known to be suffering from Mental Problems. This man's family is being denied the right to speak with him. There is something wrong with this case. The cop was shot and killed at the police station, with his own gun, and the suspect was being questioned about a stabbing where the woman was not even killed. Why is this suspect being denied all rights, his family being denied the right to speak with him, he having to wear this mask over his nose and mouth, preventing him from speaking...
      --ramjole@...

      If this black male was and is, suffering from some sort of mental problem, why isn't he in a hospital being evaluated like any other suspect known to be suffering from Mental Problems. This man's family is being denied the right to speak with him. There is something wrong with this case. The cop was shot and killed at the police station, with his own gun, and the suspect was being questioned about a stabbing where the woman was not even killed. Why is this suspect being denied all rights, his family being denied the right to speak with him, he having to wear this mask over his nose and mouth, preventing him from speaking, being beaten and the police claiming that he is luring them into his cell. Isn't there something missing here??? Why is there no mention of an Attorney? Why are they keeping his family from being there for him??? Why, is no one doing anything for or about this man? Why is this entire case being handled only by the Rhode Island Police? Why, isn't the NAACP involved after that massive beating leaving this man's face so bad, and this man trying to kill himself after being alone with all these cops, Why? Will some powerful brother/s check into this??? This man is being slaughtered and no one is taking a day or two to even try to speak with this suspect. I have not been able to sleep and I don't even know the case. If not for him, will someone please try to help his family. I am in no position myself to be of help to them, but I know there are people who have that ability. This is pure disgust, when the law enforcements can do so much dirt and get away with it. What will it take before people wake up??? Forced to wear a mask over his nose and mouth so that he does not have the ability to speak about anything Is someone covering up something??? This is too bazaar.
      --ramjole@...

      Security Tightened for Man Accused of Killing Rhode Island Detective

      RICHARD C. LEWIS
      Associated Press Writer

      SCITUATE, R.I. (AP) -- Security has been tightened around the man accused of killing a Providence police officer after he allegedly lured prison guards into his cell and attacked them, authorities said Wednesday.

      One corrections officer was hospitalized Tuesday night with a broken jaw, bruised eye socket and neck injuries and two others were treated for minor injuries, police said. Carpio will now be handcuffed at all times within his cell and will be escorted by guards when he goes to the shower, the only time he is allowed to leave his cell, Corrections Department spokeswoman Joy Fox said.

      On Tuesday evening, corrections officers noticed Carpio was trying to swallow his blanket in his cell, and decided to intervene. Guards outside the cell handcuffed Carpio and told him to sit down, which he did. Carpio was ''nice and calm'' when the first officer entered his cell, said Maj. Steven O'Donnell, a spokesman with the State Police.

      At that point, Carpio lashed out, striking the guard with an uppercut to the face as his fists were still handcuffed, O'Donnell said. He allegedly fought with two others before being subdued with pepper spray, then spat in another officer's face after being brought to a decontamination unit.

      ''We believe (Carpio) lured them in, and did what he did,'' O'Donnell said.

      O'Donnell said Carpio had been ''acting out'' recently at the prison, including clogging a toilet and chewing up mattresses. He said police planned to charge him with additional felony counts.

      The alleged attack was the latest twist in the drama surrounding Carpio, who has been held at the Adult Correctional Institutions since April 17, when he was arrested for allegedly killing Detective Sgt. James Allen at Providence police headquarters with Allen's own gun. He is charged with a single murder count and has not entered a plea.

      When he was first admitted, an officer was personally assigned to Carpio, a policy known as ''one-to-one,'' Fox said. That policy was relaxed a few days later because Carpio had been behaving, she said. After that, an officer checked on him every 15 minutes.

      After Tuesday's alleged attack, a guard was being posted to monitor Carpio at all times, Fox said. A planned visit from his family was suspended indefinitely.

      The FBI is leading an investigation into whether excessive force was used in Carpio's arrest after his family accused police of beating him. Carpio appeared in court the day after the shooting with severe bruises and swelling to his face and wearing a plastic spit shield.

      Carpio's girlfriend and family members have said he suffered from mental problems in the days and weeks before the shooting, and had been hearing voices, seeing things and muttering to himself.

      Related Stories

      * Accused R.I. Cop Killer Allegedly Attacks Guards
      * Thousands Turn Out For Wake of Rhode Island Officer Killed On Duty
      http://www.officer.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=2&id=23055
      * Thousands Attend Funeral for Rhode Island Detective Slain with his Own Gun
      http://www.officer.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=2&id=23087
      * Man Held in Killing of Rhode Island Detective
      http://www.officer.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=2&id=23019

      http://www.officer.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=2&id=22979
      * Providence, Rhode Island Detective Killed With Own Gun During Suspect Questioning

      http://www.officer.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=2&id=22979

      ___\
      Stay Strong\
      \
      "Be a friend to the oppressed and an enemy to the oppressor" \
      --Imam Ali Ibn Abu Talib (as)\
      \
      "This mathematical rhythmatical mechanism enhances my wisdom\
      of Islam, keeps me calm from doing you harm, when I attack, it's Vietnam"\
      --HellRazah\
      \
      "It's not too good to stay in a white man's country too long"\
      --Mutabartuka\
      \
      "As for we who have decided to break the back of colonialism, \
      our historic mission is to sanction all revolts, all desperate \
      actions, all those abortive attempts drowned in rivers of blood."\
      - Frantz Fanon\
      \
      "Everyday is Ashura and every land is Kerbala"\
      -Imam Ja'far Sadiq\
      \
      http://scratchcue.blogspot.com/\
      \
      http://www.sleepybrain.net/vanilla.html\
      \
      http://www.world-crisis.com/analysis_comments/766_0_15_0_C/ \
      \
      http://ilovepoetry.com/search.asp?keywords=braithwaite&orderBy=date\
      \
      http://www.lowliferecords.co.uk/\
      \
      "For African people on the continent the image of Afrikans in America is that of a bunch of heavily armed Black men who only stop fighting each other long enough to put a dollar in Chocolate Thunda's thong at tha strip club."\
      --min paul scott --"How MTV Underdeveloped Africa: Pistols, Pimps and Pan Africanism"\
      \
      M.E.D.I.A.: (MisEducation Destroying Intelligent Afrikans)\
      \
      }