to left y'all and to the right y'all = samo thang

  • Ishaq
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2004
      http://resist.ca/story/2004/11/5/5393/02164

      peace,

      i am DISappointed in the left which has become a sounding board of
      powertrippin and ignorance and has also became as indistinguishable from
      the right from it's threats, terrorism, silence, slander,libel,
      (propoganda disguised as TRUTH) and acts supremacy as the democrats are
      to the republicans and the liberals to the conservatives = white minded
      (middle-class) power boys and girls colonizing everything in thier path.

      when one is faced with ignorence such as the fear mongering stereotyping
      tale of horror as the one above, one that had to be hunted out for it's
      extremism, and attributing it to over 2 billion people, who practice a
      faith (most of whom are not of the power race and ethinicity of the
      "white" population and who run "leftist" groups/cliques), especally on
      the eve of an americian genocide of a muslim population in fallujah,
      following in the foot steps of ariel sharon and his rape and masscre of
      over 3,500 people on 16 sep 1982, then it is best, as it is/has been
      taught to these so called (convient) "savages" who are muslim to simply say,

      salaam = peace

      and walk away.

      peace

      Read the articel posted to resist list:

      http://resist.ca/story/2004/11/5/5393/02164

      In search of freedom, Afghan wives make a grisly choice
      Posted by: ron, Section: Middle East
      Posted on Fri Nov 5th, 2004 at 05:39:03 AM PST
      Women HERAT, Afghanistan -- Zahara Mohamedi decided she couldn't take it
      anymore.

      Last year, when she was 18, her family sold her for the equivalent of
      about $1,200 into a forced marriage with a man she had never met. She
      moved from the city to a village, where her new husband never allowed
      her to leave the house. She was treated as little more than a servant,
      taking orders from her in-laws -- even from an 11-year-old girl.

      Eight months ago, Mohamedi poured cooking oil over her head and chest
      and announced that she was going to set herself on fire. Her in-laws
      dared her to. They beat her and held her. She broke free and lit a
      match, immediately engulfing her face and upper body in flames.

      washington post

      Washington Post | Thursday, October 28, 2004; Page A16

      In search of freedom, Afghan wives make a grisly choice

      By Keith B. Richburg

      HERAT, Afghanistan -- Zahara Mohamedi decided she couldn't take it anymore.

      Last year, when she was 18, her family sold her for the equivalent of
      about $1,200 into a forced marriage with a man she had never met. She
      moved from the city to a village, where her new husband never allowed
      her to leave the house. She was treated as little more than a servant,
      taking orders from her in-laws -- even from an 11-year-old girl.

      Eight months ago, Mohamedi poured cooking oil over her head and chest
      and announced that she was going to set herself on fire. Her in-laws
      dared her to. They beat her and held her. She broke free and lit a
      match, immediately engulfing her face and upper body in flames.

      "It was a kind of protest against the pressure," said Mohamedi, who
      survived the ordeal but carries its scars -- her left arm is badly
      burned and her chin is bound to her chest by her own skin.

      "I didn't care about my life," she said, speaking quickly and softly,
      tugging at the beige shawl that covers her disfigured features. "If I
      was killed, I would be free of him. If I survived, I would be free of
      him, too."

      Mohamedi's story is hardly unique here in westernmost Afghanistan,
      where, three years after the fall of the Taliban, women remain subject
      to many legal, religious and cultural restrictions and domestic violence
      is endemic. So far this year, at least 180 women and girls have been
      taken to the rudimentary burn ward in Herat's hospital. More than 100
      have died.

      All are believed to be victims of self-immolation, though many, in the
      presence of their husbands or relatives, later deny they were attempting
      suicide and blame their injuries on cooking accidents. The majority of
      them, like Mohamedi, were in their teens or mid-twenties, sold into
      forced marriages and victims of constant abuse.

      Last year, the Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission, using
      records from the burn unit, recorded 300 suspected cases of women and
      girls setting themselves on fire; more than 80 percent of them died.

      The commission says the actual number of women who have resorted to
      self-immolation is far higher than what is reflected in hospital
      records. In addition to those taken to the hospital, many more may be
      dying in isolated villages, rights workers say.

      "Why does it happen? Because of poverty in society," said Qazy Ghulam
      Nabi Hakak, the Herat regional program manager for the human rights
      commission. "The families that can't survive engage their young
      daughters to older men. . . . Another problem is the tradition of the
      people. Conservative families don't allow their women to sit with men,
      to work with men in an office or to walk open-faced from their houses.
      Women feel like they are in prison, and under that pressure, they commit
      suicide."

      Herat province, which borders Iran, is more religiously conservative
      than many parts of Afghanistan. In rural areas, men expect women to stay
      indoors or to cover themselves with burqas when they venture outside.

      Conditions for women improved after the Taliban was toppled in 2001, but
      "advances were tempered by growing government repression of social and
      political life," according to a report issued by Human Rights Watch late
      the following year.

      Ismail Khan, a powerful faction leader who governed Herat before and
      after Taliban rule, imposed many of his own restrictions on women.
      "Ismail Khan has created an atmosphere in which government officials and
      private individuals believe they have the right to police every aspect
      of women's and girls' lives: how they dress, how they get around town,
      what they say," said Human Rights Watch's Zama Coursen-Neff in the
      report she co-wrote. "Women and girls in Herat expected and deserved
      more when the Taliban were overthrown."

      Last month, Afghan President Hamid Karzai dismissed Khan from the Herat
      governorship. But popular reaction to the move did not suggest
      widespread support for the lifting of social constraints. A mob stormed
      the human rights commission's office on women's affairs and set it on
      fire, destroying files and computers.

      Last Sunday, there were 10 burn victims in the Herat hospital's burn
      ward, all women, the youngest a 14-year-old. Nosh Afreen, a physician,
      said 10 cases amounted to a slow day. Sometimes, she said, "we don't
      have one empty bed."

      "Most of the women who want to commit suicide use this method," Afreen
      explained. "Actually, the women aren't aware of any other method to
      commit suicide. If they wanted to take pills, they don't know how many
      pills to take. So this is the only method they know."

      As she spoke, a burn victim arrived, covered by a blue burqa, leaning on
      the arm of her husband and limping badly. When her husband saw a foreign
      journalist and his interpreter, he muttered, in an agitated voice:
      "These women ought to learn to be more careful when they're cooking!"

      Later, the woman, 25, sat in a bed in the burn ward with most of her
      face swathed in gauze, only her eyes visible, and an intravenous drip in
      her arm. When questioned, her husband said that she had been preparing a
      meal in a pressure cooker when it exploded.

      Afreen and members of the Human Rights Commission said husbands and
      other relatives of women who survive suicide attempts often try to cover
      up what happened out of shame and fear of criminal prosecution. In most
      self-immolation cases, police respond and file a report. Afreen said
      that, despite the investigations, "nothing happens."

      In many ways, Mohamedi's story is typical.

      She was born in Iran to parents who were refugees from western
      Afghanistan. They returned to Herat even before fall of the Taliban. The
      family was poor, with five girls and a boy. Her father tried to make
      ends meet by selling whatever he could find from a wheelbarrow.
      Mohamedi's education ended after the seventh grade.

      Last year, a distant relative came with an offer: Two young men from a
      village an hour away would purchase her and her younger sister, then 15,
      to be their wives. When the money was paid, there was a lavish double
      wedding.

      "Nobody asked me what I wanted to do, or did I like him or not,"
      Mohamedi said. "When I found out they had engaged me to him, I said
      okay, if it's my family's wish, I'll do it for them."

      >From the beginning, she recalled, her life was hell. She was forbidden
      to go outside, even to see her younger sister, who lived 20 minutes
      away, or her mother in Herat. Her husband beat her regularly, sometimes
      for no reason, but most often for asking to leave the house.

      Her in-laws, she said, were worse. She was treated like the family
      servant. At one point, her mother-in-law told her to take orders from
      her 11-year-old sister-in-law. "You should serve her like a servant,"
      Mohamedi recalled the woman telling her. "Whatever she wants, you should
      do it."

      Mohamedi constantly warned her husband that she was thinking of killing
      herself. But he only laughed, she said, and encouraged her.

      "He thought I was just joking," she said. "I didn't know how to commit
      suicide. He was encouraging me, saying, 'Why not just burn yourself?' "

      One night after dinner, she served tea to her father-in-law, returned to
      the kitchen, poured cooking oil over herself and set herself ablaze.

      The family at first refused to take her to the hospital, instead placing
      her on a bed and fanning her scorched body. It was only when her sister
      found out what happened and came, and neighbors gathered outside, that
      the family took her to Herat's burn ward. At first, the in-laws said she
      had been in a cooking accident -- that her scarf caught fire. But her
      mother, Sharifa Ghulani, said she started screaming until she learned
      the truth.

      Mohamedi spent 23 days in the burn ward. While there, she said, she saw
      56 other women, all of whom had done the same thing. The youngest, she
      said, was 13.

      She and her sister are now divorced from their abusive husbands.
      Mohamedi said she feels bad about her appearance but that her scars may
      serve as a lesson.

      "It's not only a lesson for my younger sisters," she said. "It's also a
      lesson for all of our relatives and neighbors."

      ___\
      Stay Strong\
      \
      "Be a friend to the oppressed and an enemy to the oppressor" \
      --Imam Ali Ibn Abu Talib (as)\
      \
      "This mathematical rhythmatical mechanism enhances my wisdom\
      of Islam, keeps me calm from doing you harm, when I attack, it's Vietnam"\
      --HellRazah\
      \
      "It's not too good to stay in a white man's country too long"\
      --Mutabartuka\
      \
      "Everyday is Ashura and every land is Kerbala"\
      -Imam Ja'far Sadiq\
      \
      http://resist.ca/story/2004/7/27/202911/746\
      \