[news] Rebels declare start date for Nigerian uprising

  • Ishaq
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2004
      http://victoria.indymedia.org/news/2004/10/31542.php

      "We will target government infrastructure and oil company
      personnel," Mr. Dokubo-Asari told the Associated Press. "Oil facilities
      will not be targeted since it will endanger the environment."

      Rebels declare start date for Nigerian uprising

      Associated Press

      Lagos, Nigeria -- Insurgents in Nigeria's southern Niger Delta will
      begin an armed struggle to wrest control of the region's oil riches from
      the federal government starting Oct. 1, a rebel spokesman said Tuesday.

      Moujahid Dokubo-Asari, leader of the Niger Delta People's Volunteer
      Force, also said all oil company employees would be legitimate targets
      and advised foreign embassies to pull their nationals out of the oil region.

      "We will target government infrastructure and oil company personnel,"
      Mr. Dokubo-Asari told the Associated Press. "Oil facilities will not be
      targeted since it will endanger the environment."

      Mr. Dokubo-Asari said "a full-scale armed struggle" will begin on Oct.
      1, the 44th anniversary of Nigeria's independence from Britain.

      Oil multinationals operating in Nigeria, especially local subsidiaries
      Royal Dutch/Shell and Italy's Agip, have provided government troops,
      helicopters and topographical maps that aided the bombardment of rebel
      camps hidden among creeks and mangrove swamps of the delta, the rebel
      leader said.

      A Shell spokesman in Lagos would not comment on the allegations, saying
      an official response will be issued later.

      Shell, which accounts for roughly half of Nigeria's daily exports of 2.5
      million barrels, said its production and exports have so far not been
      affected by violence in the region.

      Nigeria's military launched its latest offensive against Mr.
      Dokubo-Asari's fighters early this month in response to deadly raids by
      his militia into Nigeria's main oil industry centre, Port Harcourt, in
      August.

      President Olusegun Obasanjo's government accuses the rebels and other
      armed groups in the region of gangsterism, including illegally tapping
      and selling crude oil from pipelines to buy arms and fund their criminal
      activities.

      Mr. Dokubo-Asari says his group is fighting for self-determination for
      more than eight million Ijaws, the dominant tribe in the southern delta
      region, which accounts for nearly all of Nigeria's daily oil exports.

      The insurgents will lay down their arms only if the government convened
      a "sovereign national conference" to discuss self-determination and
      greater control of oil wealth by the inhabitants of the oil region, he said.

      ___\
      Stay Strong\
      \
      "Be a friend to the oppressed and an enemy to the oppressor" \
      --Imam Ali Ibn Abu Talib (as)\
      \
      "This mathematical rhythmatical mechanism enhances my wisdom\
      of Islam, keeps me calm from doing you harm, when I attack, it's Vietnam"\
      --HellRazah\
      \
      "It's not too good to stay in a white man's country too long"\
      --Mutabartuka\
      \
      "Everyday is Ashura and every land is Kerbala"\
      -Imam Ja'far Sadiq\
      \
      http://resist.ca/story/2004/7/27/202911/746\
      \