UN Ranks Nigeria 151 out of 177 Countries in 2004 Human Development Index

  • RE ausetkmt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2004

      Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:30:54 -0700 (PDT)
      From: O <ogunsu@...>
      Subject: UN Ranks Nigeria 151 out of 177 Countries in 2004 Human
      Development Index

      My comment immediately below somewhat responds to one "abanwanne"'s
      "Giant of Africa, My Foot,"
      which follows after the Index.

      Africa at the bottom (as usual). Except for Libya (at 58) and the
      Asian-Indian dominated (quasi-African) island country of Mauritius (at
      64) all the other African countries appear in the lower or bottom half.
      In fact the last 19 countries are African. The index (regardless of its
      evaluation criteria) says what many of us in and outside Africa already
      know : that Africa AIN'T still ready for big time development. It's
      still business as usual. Until we start living by example, by practice
      some of the basic ideals millions of us armchair and street critics
      espouse we may never rise. Our fundamental problems lie not in a
      shortage of material resources or in a shortage of RAW human resources
      but largely in a catastrophic shortage of unharnessed human resources.
      Neither unloving critics nor uncritical lovers of Africa can turn the
      tide. Only critical lovers can and will the day, the moment they say
      with actions, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

> [...]

      | > 112. Vietnam;

      | > 113. Moldova;

      | > 114. Bolivia;

      | > 115. Honduras;

      | > 116. Tajikistan

      | > 117. Mongolia;

      | > 118. Nicaragua;

      | > 119. South Africa;

      | > 120. Egypt;

      | > 121. Guatemala;

      | > 122. Gabon;

      | > 123. Sao Tome and Principe;

      | > 124. Solomon Islands;

      | > 125. Morocco;

      | > 126. Namibia;

      | > 127. India;

      | > 128. Botswana;

      | > 129. Vanuatu;

      | > 130. Cambodia;

      | > 131. Ghana;

      | > 132. Myanmar;

      | > 133. Papua New Guinea;

      | > 134. Bhutan;

      | > 135. Laos;

      | > 136. Comoros;

      | > 137. Swaziland;

      | > 138. Bangladesh;

      | > 139. Sudan;

      | > 140. Nepal

      | > 141. Cameroon;

      | > 142. Pakistan;

      | > 143. Togo;

      | > 144. Congo

      | > 145. Lesotho;

      | > 146. Uganda;

      | > 147. Zimbabwe;

      | > 148. Kenya;

      | > 149. Yemen;

      | > 150. Madagascar;

      | > 151. Nigeria;

      | > 152. Mauritania;

      | > 153. Haiti;

      | > 154. Djibouti;

      | > 155. Gambia;

      | > 156. Eritrea;

      | > 157. Senegal;

      | > 158. East Timor;

      | > 159. Rwanda;

      | > 160. Guinea;

      | > 161. Benin;

      | > 162. Tanzania;

      | > 163. Ivory Coast;

      | > 164. Zambia;

      | > 165. Malawi;

      | > 166. Angola;

      | > 167. Chad;

      | > 168. Democratic Republic of Congo;

      | > 169. Central African Republic;

      | > 170. Ethiopia;

      | > 171. Mozambique;

      | > 172. Guinea-Bissau;

      | > 173. Burundi;

      | > 174. Mali;

      | > 175. Burkina Faso;

      | > 176. Niger;

      | > 177. Sierra Leone.

      | > Patrick O. Okigbo III

      | > Citigroup
      | > Commodity Trade Finance
      | > 388 Greenwich Street, Floor 25
      | > New York, NY 10013
      | > Tel: 212-816-4713
      | > email: patrick.okigbo@c...

      | Message: 9

      | Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:24:23 -0000

      | From: "abunwanne" <abunwanne@...>

      | Subject: Re: Fwd: Giant of Africa, my foot

      | In one sense, Nigeria has not changed that much fundamentally with the

      exception that there is less resources and more people.

      | Fundamentally, the mentality of using government as a route to looting

      public resources is still very much in place

      | today as it was yesterday and prestige-type projects continue to
      remain

      the means to achieve that end, whether it was building up an

      | unsustainable Lagos on marshy land 25 years ago or building an

      | unsustainable Abuja on arid land today.

      | In both time periods, the average people were deliberately blinded by

      the "grandeur" surrounding all these public projects which not only
      enriched

      quite a lot of contract racketeers but for the most part kept the masses

      still suffering through NEPA blackout, poor

      | roads and non-existent public water schemes.

      | One thing that has changed from now to then has been that people's

      | eyes in Nigeria have finally opened. Thanks to unregulated TV
      stations,

      internet access, and travel, people are

      | seeing the rest of the world (even within Africa) a lot more for the

      first

      | time.

      | People are going to Ghana and Ivory Coast and Kenya and realizing

      | that Nigeria doesn't even have the basics of these countries which

      | did not have the benefit of the oil like we did. People are reading

      about South Korea, Thailand, and Malaysia which started off at the same

      point as us but have since left us in the dust of

      | lootocratic backwardness in the past 40 years.

      | There is hope when people start to become dissatisfied with their

      | situation. But the prospect of progress can only occur if we channel

      that energy to demand the changes needed to move that country forward.

      | Otherwise the alternative is there to fall even further backward into

      the cultural tastes of our degenerate, backward

      | leadership that have created a culture out of the same dishonesty,

      immorality, greed for money, corruption, violence, and crookery.

      wrote:

      > I thought I'd share this perspective with you. Labi

      Giant of Africa, my foot

      | > Please hear me out because I have to say this before my heart

      explodes with grief.

      | > One of my earlier childhood memories is of my grandmother, Oliaku,

      reprimanding me (in her halting English) that "a fool at forty is a fool

      forever". I am not sure if she understood that as a teenager,

      | I still had ways to go before turning 40. However, her quick tongue

      made me vow that when I turn 40, I would be far from a fool. I doubt if

      Nigeria was fortunate enough to have such a dutiful a guardian. A few

      minutes ago, I received an email on the 2004 UN

      | Human Development Index that ranked Nigeria 151 out of 177

      | countries. As I clicked on the email to open it, the first thought

      that crept into my head was "a fool at 40 is a fool

      | forever".

      | > To seek morbid consolation from the fact that Nigeria - Giant of

      | Africa - performed better than at least 26 countries, I quickly went

      the end of the list to see the least performing

      | countries. Giant of the Africa, we truly are because of the 26

      countries we beat, only 2 are not on the African soil: Haiti and East
      Timor.

      Giant of Africa!

      | > I decided to see how many African countries were in the Top 20:

      | NONE. Top 40: NONE. Top 60: Ok, one - Libya.

      | LIBYA??? No! How

      | can a pariah state that has suffered trade embargoes over the last

      | decade perform better than the 6th largest producer of oil? Haba!

      | It is not possible. I look at the Top 80: one more African country-

      | Mauritius! Mauri-gini? Who is Mauritius? Who is their father? Do

      | they have a Zik of Africa or a Pa Awo or a Sarduana?

      | No! There must be something wrong with this ranking.

      | > I continue down the list and looked at the Top 100. Surely, there
      must

      be more African countries in this bracket.

      | Heart-broken, I realize that there is just one more: Tunisia. Ok, I

      know Tunisia -soccer! Africa Nations Cup. But what else is in Tunisia?

      How can they perform better than Nigeria - Giant of Africa? May be they
      made

      more than "$12.6 Billion windfall" during Gulf War

      | I? There must be something wrong with this ranking.

      | > I was about to delete the email because surely the UN must be

      | lying, however, I decided to look further down the list. I checked

      | the Top 120 countries and I see 5 more African countries. I am happy

      for South Africa yet sad that a nation that just emerged from apartheid
      the

      other day is ranked higher than the Giant

      | of Africa. But among this list are Cape Verde, Algeria, and Equitorial

      Guinea. Now, how is this possible? May be these countries decided to
      build

      a new stadium in their Abuja while their schools do not have libraries
      and

      their hospitals do not have drugs. That

      | must be why they performed better than Nigeria.

      | > At this stage, I am really convinced that something is criminally

      wrong with this ranking. So I decide to look at the

      | countries within Nigeria's bracket (140-151). Isn't it sad that a

      country

      | like Pakistan (most corrupt nation on earth) is higher than Nigeria on

      the HDI? I guess even in the midst of the

      | corruption, they still find it in their hearts to show compassion on

      their

      | people.

      | > I wonder whose Giant we really are when 24 African countries rank

      higher than us on the HDI. Amongst these 24 countries are countries at
      war

      (Sudan, Uganda, etc); nations under

      | dictatorships (Togo, Zimbabwe); nations we laughed at in the past

      (Ghana - of the Ghana Must Go saga, Cameroon, Congo, Gabon, etc).
      Something

      has gone seriously wrong in Nigeria. Meanwhile as our house

      | burns, half of us are chasing rodents, while the other half are in a

      daze, sleep

      | walking like zombies.

      | > I will not even look at the other countries that are ahead of
      Nigeria

      on this ranking. And before you think that

      | they are all "developed nations", note that Cuba is ahead of us too

      (despite

      | their trade embargoes). Even the "Banana Republics" are all ahead

      | of us too. Palestine, Israel, Lebanon all better than Nigeria.
      Croatia,

      Iran, Kyrgyzstan, Western Samoa. Brothers and sisters, a fool at forty
      is a

      fool forever. The only person worse than a fool is a fool who does not
      know

      that he is a fool. Giant of Africa, my foot.

      | > Before you pass judgment on me, let me quickly add that I have not

      given up on Nigeria, but I think it is time we woke up from this slumber

      realize that we are sliding deeper and deeper into this

      | abyss. It is time we said enough is enough. Like the activist of old,

      "I am sick and tired of being sick and tired". We all have to do
      something

      to stop this rot or generations yet unborn