British Airways seeks to take over Caribbean Airline?

  • caribdigita
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2003
      Article: Aviation expert expresses support for the sale of BWIA to
      British Airways
      Date: Saturday, November 08, 2003
      Source: www.cananews.com - Caribbean News Agency.

      Link: http://www.cananews.com/

      BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, CMC – A regional aviation analyst says he would
      support a take over by British Airways of the operations of cash-
      strapped regional airline, BWIA, if would mean support for the
      planned merger with LIAT.

      John Gilmore, who is the man behind the privatisation of Air Jamaica
      back in 1994, has expressed support for the proposed sale, is however
      cautioning that there would be no real benefit for the region if BA
      purchases the regional carrier for its own commercial purposes.

      Gilmore's comments followed a report in the Trinidad Guardian
      newspaper on Friday, which stated that the Trinidad and Tobago
      government was considering offers to sell the airline to a number of
      investors, including British Airways.

      "I would think if British Airways were to come in with an interest in
      BWIA, it would make logical sense for them to continue that interest
      in LIAT which provides regional distribution for them. Without them,
      (LIAT) I would think it would be pretty much a non-starter for the
      Caribbean," he told the Caribbean Media Corporation (CMC).

      Prime Minister Patrick Manning has remained tight-lipped on the
      matter only admitting that an offer had been made without
      elaborating.

      Gilmore believes that a single regional carrier is the solution to
      the aviation problems in the Caribbean and has called on regional
      governments to pursue the merger involving LIAT and BWIA.

      He believes that an international carrier like British Airways could
      assist in this effort.

      Gilmore has also praised the work of Allen Stanford, Chairman and
      owner of Caribbean Star Airlines saying the Texas Billionaire has
      done a great job in growing the carrier, which is the new kid on the
      block in regional air transport.

      "I think Mr. Stanford should well be a part of an overall solution.
      If he wanted to take over BWIA or LIAT and I were a Caribbean
      government, I would jump at the chance," Gilmore added.[-End]

      **********
      On The Web:
      --
      British West Indies Airways (BWIA) aka B-WEE
      http://www.Bwee.com/

      LIAT Airlines (West Indies)
      http://www.LiatAirline.com/

      Air Jamaica