Thanks, Hawaiiguy!

  • x779@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 18, 2004
      All those updates you're finding are apprecated!!

      Regards....
      Lou
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ **-=\/=-** ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      The opposite of bravery is not cowardice, but conformity.
      – Robert Anthony
    • Tony Rutherford
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 14, 2004
        The wife of a University Prez added: How many grand
        movie palaces are open in the US and still showing
        movies? I know we have a "definition"
        problem....perhaps, how many "theatres" on the
        historic register are still showing flicks???

        =====
        Tony
        irishsetter9@...

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
      • jimor2
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 29, 2004
          --- In historicmoviepalaces@yahoogroups.com, Tony Rutherford
          <irishsetter10@y...> wrote:

          > The wife of a University Prez added: How many grand
          > movie palaces are open in the US and still showing
          > movies? I know we have a "definition"
          > problem....perhaps, how many "theatres" on the
          > historic register are still showing flicks???
          >
          > =====
          > Tony
          > irishsetter9@h...
          >
          > The problem would be one of definition. The Theatre Historical Soc.
          is probably the best bet for an answer to this question, but their
          definition of a movie palace may not be yours. They generally define
          such as being (1) built for showing movies, (2) of an ornate, 'themed'
          decor, (3) in excess of 1,000 seats, and having (4) a workable stage
          (not a platform). This is in harmony with the text of the TV program
          of Sept. 2003 on PBS: "The History Detectives" who were asked by the
          RINGLING THEATRE of Baraboo, Wis. if that house was the very first
          movie palace; the Society's Ex. Dir., Rich Sklenar, replied with the
          above criteria and said that it was therefore not (is has only 800
          seats), and opined that the CAPITOL th. once in NYC had that honor.
          That show text can be viewed in PDF format at:
          http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/case/midwest.html
          The story about the RINGLING and its 'designation' is at:
          http://www.cinematreasures.org/theater/351/
          You can inquire of the Society at: www.HistoricTheatres.org

          I too would like to know the figures, so please post what you find
          out, and the criteria used to arrive at the figures. Jim R.