Cinema Treasures

  • dinermuseum
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 20, 2000
    • kencta
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 20, 2000
        Just thought I would say hello to you all. Its
        great to find others that are interested in Historic
        Theatres and Movie Palaces, we call tham Cinemas over
        here. If you need to know anything about UK Cinemas
        please ask and I will endeavour to answer you
        enquiries.<br>Regards<br>Ken
      • pamelarosew
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 21, 2000
          I just found out about your club. I don't have
          the internet at home right now and I'm going on
          vacation next week, so don't think I'm not interested
          either.<br><br>I have done research on the old movie theatres of
          Sacramento, California and am hoping to meet others who
          remember some of them. There used to be at least 15 old
          theatres in the downtown area and only two are still
          there. The Crest and the Esquire (which is now an IMAX
          theatre.)
        • nodottle
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 21, 2000
            Hi Everyone!<br>Just a note to say that I an Very
            Glad to join you. I am UK based, and a "Cinema Theatre
            Association" member there. My knowledge of Movie Palaces in
            the States, is very limited, but I am anxious to
            share your experiences, to learn more.<br><br>I wish
            this new club every success, and am sure it will
            become an active & lively meeting place, as more members
            join.<br><br>Best Wishes, & I hope you all have an enjoyable
            Christmas & New Year<br><br>Steve
          • voyageur398
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 24, 2000
              Greetings! We wanted to let you know that Mike
              created a Hallmark.com e-card for you. Click this link to
              see it, or copy and paste this link into your Web
              browser's address line:<br>
              the bottom of the page to find "pick up a greeting".
              Click that link and it will ask for your e-mail address
              and retrieval number. Your retrieval number is
              EG413580293067.<br> <br>This e-card will be available for 90 days. If
              you'd like to send one back, use the "send your own
              greeting" button beside the e-card. Enjoy!<br> <br>Jan
              Here's a direct link to our online Privacy and Security
              statement if you'd like to review
              it.<br><a href=http://www.hallmark.com/hmk/Website/goto.jsp?CONTENT_KEY=FOOTER_PRIVLEGL&CONTENT_TYPE=ARTICLE target=new>http://www.hallmark.com/hmk/Website/goto.jsp?CONTENT_KEY=FOOTER_PRIVLEGL&CONTENT
            • nodottle
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 29, 2001
                Hi Everyone,<br><br>Sunday 28th. January,
                witnessed the closure, of the six screen Odeon Film Centre,
                in Nottingham, England. In itself this would hardly
                be newsworthy, as the remaining tradition cinemas
                are rapidly disapearing. throughout the UK, as we are
                being overun by a plague of muliplexes. This cinema has
                a special place in the history, as in 1965, it
                became the World's first fully automated "twin cinema"
                when the vast single auditorium, was horizontally
                divided into screen 1 upstairs (900 seats) & the screen 2
                downstairs, with 1450 seats. The so called "Magic Brain" in
                cinema 2, controlled everything in the lower projection
                box, including house lights, etc. This was still
                usable, at the time of closure, and I hope it will find
                its deserved retirement in a museum.<br><br>In later
                years, a small third screen was created in a former
                restaraunt, & two small Coffin shaped screens were created in
                the rear of the downstairs auditorium. A final
                addition of a basement screen six, was to create the final
                total.<br><br>Despite this further sub-division, the upper screen,
                remained as at conversion, a comparatively rare example of
                1960s cinema architecture. It is sad to see the old
                place close, although it had become rather tatty, and
                run down in recent years. It had managed to compete,
                with an out of town "Showcase" complex for the last 14
                years, but doubtless would have struggled with a new 14
                screen Warner site nearing completion, close by. Any
                upgrade investment, would have been high risk, and the
                building occupies, probably one of the most prime
                development sites in the city.<br><br>British multiplex
                developments, were generally placed,out of town centres, but
                now planning controls have been tightened, which has
                forced new developments, back into the centres, & this
                is now resulting in the loss of most traditional
              • alwaysontheroad4bigblue
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 19, 2001
                  My 8th grade son is doing a video documentary on
                  the transition from silent to talkie movies. He's
                  looking for a photo of a theater interior with an
                  audience present. Any suggestions? We've both done quite a
                  bit of searching on the Web with no luck so far. Lots
                  of interiors, but they're always empty!
                • dinermuseum
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 2, 2001
                    Check Out <a href=http://www.recentpast.org target=new>http://www.recentpast.org</a>
                  • dinermuseum
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 2, 2001
                    • enterprise_q
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 15, 2001
                        Most likely your son did his video documentary (I
                        just joined, so sorry my message is months late!), but
                        in case anyone would like a photo of a movie theater
                        with an audience in it this site
                      • mattwilk1972
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 14, 2002
                          I uploaded some pics of our old Theatre we are trying to restore in the photos section hope everyone likes them any questions feel free to e-mail me
                        • capttrenchcoat
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 14, 2002
                            Cool looking theater. What do you plan on doing
                            with it when restored? I have always wanted to open
                            and run revival movie theater. No theaters around me
                            though. I live in Sterling Heights. AMC has closed a
                            couple of theaters here but they were newer buildings.
                          • reeves721
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 28, 2002
                              DOes anyone know of a good recource to ise to locate theaters for sale to restore?
                            • mattwilk1972
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 30, 2002
                                do you have an idea of how much money you want to spend? if you have a lot you could buy the united artist in detroit for around $100,000 and would take about 40 million to restore very bad shape
                              • friends_of_the_loews
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 19 4:57 PM
                                  I just joined this group and I also voluteer at
                                  an amazing Movie palace in Jersey city new Jersey
                                  The Landmark Loew's Jersey Theatre, I will post some
                                  Pict soon that ive taken. you can check out the site
                                  too <a href=http://www.loewsjersey.org target=new>http://www.loewsjersey.org</a>