Re: Arcade Theatre, Charleston SC.

  • mrcooby
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 15, 2004
      --- In historicmoviepalaces@yahoogroups.com, "hawaiiguy123155" <hawaiiguy12=
      3155@y...> wrote:
      > Arcade Theater Demolished
      > January 12, 2004
      > CHARLESTON, SC — The Arcade Theater was in the Art Moderne style by
      > prolific Charleston architect Augustus Constantine who personally
      > supervised a renovation to the building in 1957 when the pergola and
      > yellow brick were added.
      So, the College couldn't continue to have a film theatre as part of its cur=
      riculum? The one in MY town does, and they pack them in.
      > In 2000, the College of Charleston bought the property. It was used for
      > a computer lab, a physics lab, classrooms
      > and offices. In August, 2002, the College sought permission from
      > Charleston's Board of Architectural Review to have the building
      > demolished in order to expand its business school.
      These "educators" seem to always be at the forefront in throwing their weig=
      ht around when it comes to demolitions of historic buildings.

      I got a real "education" from Loyola University in Chicago when they insist=
      ed that the gorgeous Granada Theatre come down. They got it down, too.

      In 1980, Marquette University in Milwaukee took down the Plankinton Mansion=
      , despite a community uproar.
      They wanted a jogging track.
      Like people couldn't jog anywheres else?
      They did it really sneakily:
      they used the old "'Oops' Trick".
      They didn't have a demolition permit so first thing in the morning, a bulld=
      ozer started hacking away at the mansion. Somebody called the authorities, w=
      ho ordered the bulldozer to stop because he had no permit, and he said "Oops=
      !" and stopped right there on the spot.
      AFTER he caused a million dollars in damage to the mansion. Get it??

      Watch out for the old "'Oops' Trick in your hometowns!
      > Initially, the board unanimously denied the college's request. Board
      > member John Moore said, "It's not the most beautiful building around,
      > that's for sure, but it's one of the rare examples of this kind of
      > architecture."
      > A month later, the board reversed itself saying the former Arcade
      > Theater really isn't a classic and definitely isn't worth saving.
      See? Our education continues!
      WE just learned something, didn't we?
      We learned that either the Board has a short attenton span, or somebody got=
      to somebody.
      > Architect Jeffrey Rosenblum said, "I contend that it's just standard
      > shopping strip architecture with a little bit of frou-frou. This
      > building has no architectural merit."
      I wonder if anything HE designed has any "architectural merit", and if anyb=
      ody will mourn HIS buildings when they're threatened the way they mourn the =
      Arcade Theatre.