Re: [Historic Movie Palaces] Re: Porno

  • Don Wagner
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2004
      Just to add one more note on the subject of porn. I've lived my whole life in New York City. If you've seen a book titled "Lost Broadway Theatres" you'll know that a great many of our wonderful old gems ended up as either porn theaters or else they showed movies that today would be filed under "direct to video." Yep, real junk. This was especially true on West 42nd Street, and now many of these
      theatres, including the New Amsterday, built in 1903 and a former home of the Ziegfeld Follies, has been beautifully restored by Disney. Of course there are many less famous theatres that also became porn houses in order to keep the doors open. Okay, I admit it... I did go to a few, but it only to do research on the buildings. Alas they're gone now.