Elkhart Ind. Lerner Theater

  • Sam
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2010
      Hello again! In my local area, Elkhart is the home to the Lerner Theater. It opened in 1924, and was named for the theater's first owners.In the early 30's, the Lerner spent a short stint as part of the Warner theater chain, and was called by that name. However,due to financial constraints, the theater was sold again. This time, the new owners held a contest for a new name. The winning entry was the ELCO theater. This name remained in place until the last few years. A co-operative restoration project was begun which is currently in the active restoration/expansion phase. The Lerner theater is expected to be ready for it's grand re-opening sometime next year (2011). Luckily, for the Lerner, it's original theater organ was still pretty much intact. It is currently in the hands of pipe organ company, receiving a thorough rebuild. Once finished, it will be re-installed in the theater, making the Lerner one of a fortunate group of theaters to still have their original theater organs in place, and ready to thrill theatergoers with it's wondrous sounds. I am not sure, but I think it might be a Kimball instrument. If I find out otherwise, I will post the correct info. here. See you at the box office!! ==Sam==