Historic Movie Palaces

  • voyageur398
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 20, 2000
      Welcome to the Yahoo! Message Board for Historic Movie Palaces
    • voyageur398
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 20, 2000
        ...but don't be shy. I've got my membership set
        so I get an e-mail right away if anyone shows up.
        This weekend, I'm putting the finishing touches on a
        website that I'll be taking live and making searchable
        next week, to which this club will be linked directly;
        so reinforcements are on the way. Meanwhile, did you
        bring old movie theatre pictures to upload? Have at it,
        don't wait for me...<br><br>Mike
      • sharlamar
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 23, 2000
          Mile... Good luck with your new club. I have some pictures of old theatres which I'll up-load over the next several days. I work out of town, so don't view my absence as disinterest. Tony...
        • voyageur398
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 27, 2000
            Titanic's big, but it doesn't have hyperdrive.
            potential.<br><br>Yoda could use the Force to lift Titanic out of the
            water.<br><br>Leia is a princess, a senator, a freedom fighter, and
            Jedimaterial; Rose is just marriage bait.<br><br>Ewoks throw
            better parties than either first class or
            steerage.<br><br>When flying towards the Titanic, Wedge can't say "Look
            at the size of that thing!" and really mean
            it.<br><br>It would be much scarier to get chased around the
            boat by a raving madman with <br>a lightsaber as
            opposed to a handgun.<br><br>Titanic is egalitarian by
            portraying poor people as sympathetic characters. <br>Star
            Wars is egalitarian by promoting bug-eyedamphibians to
            Admiral.<br><br>Said bug-eyed amphibious Admiral manages NOT to lose
            his ship.<br><br>We know Cal is the bad guy because
            he sneers at the poor and treats his fiancee
            because he strangles people <br>and blows up planets for
            fun.<br><br>Yeah, Leo can dance, but can he fly an
            X-wing?<br><br>Rose braves icy water to rescue her man. Leia braves
            Jabba the Hutt.<br><br>Two words: John
            Williams.<br><br>There are always enough escape pods in Star
            Wars.<br><br>Do you know what the Empire does to self-proclaimed
            "kings of the world"?<br><br>If Luke were handcuffed to
            a pipe below decks in a sinking ship, he would use
            whore than your wife" just doesn't have the same sting
            in carbonite and turned into a wall ornament. Leo
            simply freezes.<br><br>We knew the boat was gonna sink.
            But who could've anticipated "Luke... I am <br>your
            father"?<br><br>Han Solo would've missed the darn iceberg!
          • voyageur398
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 29, 2000
              ...still unfinished, to its new home at
              beginning to scrounge pictures now, and we're adding new
              pages. Check it out . . .
            • voyageur398
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 30, 2000
                The big auditorium seen to your left is the Byrd
                Theatre in Richmond, Virginia. It was downloaded from
                their website and uploaded here (the Byrd's site is
                linked to the <a href=http://www.moviepalace.4dw.com target=new>http://www.moviepalace.4dw.com</a> site, if
                you want to see more pics of the Byrd)<br><br>What I
                like about the Byrd is that it has been in operation
                continuously since it was built, and has stayed the same. It
                is not a restoration project, it has been preserved
                true to its original design since it opened, never got
                a "modern" facelift, never been split, never been
                closed, and never been "restored" as part of some
                arts-and-croissants community organization's reinterpretation
                project. It is definitely an original that has stood the
                test of time, a rare relic of the way things were . .
                .
              • sharlamar
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 31, 2000
                  I remember the Byrd. On Cary Street in RIchmond, VA. I guy used to raise up out of the stage floor and play the organ. There were several good restaurants within a block of the place.
                • dinermuseum
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 20, 2000
                  • kencta
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 20, 2000
                      Just thought I would say hello to you all. Its
                      great to find others that are interested in Historic
                      Theatres and Movie Palaces, we call tham Cinemas over
                      here. If you need to know anything about UK Cinemas
                      please ask and I will endeavour to answer you
                      enquiries.<br>Regards<br>Ken
                    • pamelarosew
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 21, 2000
                        I just found out about your club. I don't have
                        the internet at home right now and I'm going on
                        vacation next week, so don't think I'm not interested
                        either.<br><br>I have done research on the old movie theatres of
                        Sacramento, California and am hoping to meet others who
                        remember some of them. There used to be at least 15 old
                        theatres in the downtown area and only two are still
                        there. The Crest and the Esquire (which is now an IMAX
                        theatre.)
                      • nodottle
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 21, 2000
                          Hi Everyone!<br>Just a note to say that I an Very
                          Glad to join you. I am UK based, and a "Cinema Theatre
                          Association" member there. My knowledge of Movie Palaces in
                          the States, is very limited, but I am anxious to
                          share your experiences, to learn more.<br><br>I wish
                          this new club every success, and am sure it will
                          become an active & lively meeting place, as more members
                          join.<br><br>Best Wishes, & I hope you all have an enjoyable
                          Christmas & New Year<br><br>Steve
                        • voyageur398
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 24, 2000
                            Greetings! We wanted to let you know that Mike
                            created a Hallmark.com e-card for you. Click this link to
                            see it, or copy and paste this link into your Web
                            browser's address line:<br>
                            the bottom of the page to find "pick up a greeting".
                            Click that link and it will ask for your e-mail address
                            and retrieval number. Your retrieval number is
                            EG413580293067.<br> <br>This e-card will be available for 90 days. If
                            you'd like to send one back, use the "send your own
                            greeting" button beside the e-card. Enjoy!<br> <br>Jan
                            Here's a direct link to our online Privacy and Security
                            statement if you'd like to review
                            it.<br><a href=http://www.hallmark.com/hmk/Website/goto.jsp?CONTENT_KEY=FOOTER_PRIVLEGL&CONTENT_TYPE=ARTICLE target=new>http://www.hallmark.com/hmk/Website/goto.jsp?CONTENT_KEY=FOOTER_PRIVLEGL&CONTENT
                          • nodottle
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 29, 2001
                              Hi Everyone,<br><br>Sunday 28th. January,
                              witnessed the closure, of the six screen Odeon Film Centre,
                              in Nottingham, England. In itself this would hardly
                              be newsworthy, as the remaining tradition cinemas
                              are rapidly disapearing. throughout the UK, as we are
                              being overun by a plague of muliplexes. This cinema has
                              a special place in the history, as in 1965, it
                              became the World's first fully automated "twin cinema"
                              when the vast single auditorium, was horizontally
                              divided into screen 1 upstairs (900 seats) & the screen 2
                              downstairs, with 1450 seats. The so called "Magic Brain" in
                              cinema 2, controlled everything in the lower projection
                              box, including house lights, etc. This was still
                              usable, at the time of closure, and I hope it will find
                              its deserved retirement in a museum.<br><br>In later
                              years, a small third screen was created in a former
                              restaraunt, & two small Coffin shaped screens were created in
                              the rear of the downstairs auditorium. A final
                              addition of a basement screen six, was to create the final
                              total.<br><br>Despite this further sub-division, the upper screen,
                              remained as at conversion, a comparatively rare example of
                              1960s cinema architecture. It is sad to see the old
                              place close, although it had become rather tatty, and
                              run down in recent years. It had managed to compete,
                              with an out of town "Showcase" complex for the last 14
                              years, but doubtless would have struggled with a new 14
                              screen Warner site nearing completion, close by. Any
                              upgrade investment, would have been high risk, and the
                              building occupies, probably one of the most prime
                              development sites in the city.<br><br>British multiplex
                              developments, were generally placed,out of town centres, but
                              now planning controls have been tightened, which has
                              forced new developments, back into the centres, & this
                              is now resulting in the loss of most traditional
                            • alwaysontheroad4bigblue
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 19, 2001
                                My 8th grade son is doing a video documentary on
                                the transition from silent to talkie movies. He's
                                looking for a photo of a theater interior with an
                                audience present. Any suggestions? We've both done quite a
                                bit of searching on the Web with no luck so far. Lots
                                of interiors, but they're always empty!
                              • dinermuseum
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 2, 2001
                                  Check Out <a href=http://www.recentpast.org target=new>http://www.recentpast.org</a>
                                • dinermuseum
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 2, 2001
                                  • enterprise_q
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 15, 2001
                                      Most likely your son did his video documentary (I
                                      just joined, so sorry my message is months late!), but
                                      in case anyone would like a photo of a movie theater
                                      with an audience in it this site
                                    • mattwilk1972
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 14, 2002
                                        I uploaded some pics of our old Theatre we are trying to restore in the photos section hope everyone likes them any questions feel free to e-mail me
                                      • capttrenchcoat
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 14, 2002
                                          Cool looking theater. What do you plan on doing
                                          with it when restored? I have always wanted to open
                                          and run revival movie theater. No theaters around me
                                          though. I live in Sterling Heights. AMC has closed a
                                          couple of theaters here but they were newer buildings.
                                        • reeves721
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 28, 2002
                                            DOes anyone know of a good recource to ise to locate theaters for sale to restore?
                                          • mattwilk1972
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jan 30, 2002
                                              do you have an idea of how much money you want to spend? if you have a lot you could buy the united artist in detroit for around $100,000 and would take about 40 million to restore very bad shape
                                            • friends_of_the_loews
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Feb 19, 2002
                                                I just joined this group and I also voluteer at
                                                an amazing Movie palace in Jersey city new Jersey
                                                The Landmark Loew's Jersey Theatre, I will post some
                                                Pict soon that ive taken. you can check out the site
                                                too <a href=http://www.loewsjersey.org target=new>http://www.loewsjersey.org</a>