Re: Community Park Start up

  • Gary Means
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 1 9:25 AM
      Hi All,
         I just visited Savannah, GA a few weeks ago.  As I walked through their wonderful historic downtown, I wondered why we couldn't turn some of the derelict empty lots in our neighborhood into small parks?  For example, the corner of Gulf and Cross has an empty lot that can not support a building due to flooding hazard.  Why not turn this into a small park.
         It would sure be nice and maybe a tourist attraction.
      Just a thought.

      Thanks,
      Gary Means
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1 4:24 PM
        ...absolutely Gary =)

        I love Savannah, especially the little city parks in
        the "nooks" of cul de sacs and traffic circles. They
        add a great deal of charm.

        Of course, I am not quite optimistic enough to think
        that transforming a couple vacant lots in our
        neighborhoods will replicate that exact mood evoked by
        the pocket parks installed by Savannah's city
        planners, but I think that if a few strategically
        placed parks would add some charm and utility.

        I don't know the details of each property in our
        neighborhoods, but I know that different lots have
        some challenges with ownership and engineering. But I
        agree that many would be ideal parks and green-space
        instead of just being an empty lot or grown over with
        vegetation.

        I'd love to see a park dedicated to some historic
        aspect of the neighborhood, maybe even with a nice
        statue or sculpture.

        Al

        --- Gary Means <gemeans@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        > I just visited Savannah, GA a few weeks ago. As
        > I walked through their
        > wonderful historic downtown, I wondered why we
        > couldn't turn some of the
        > derelict empty lots in our neighborhood into small
        > parks? For example, the
        > corner of Gulf and Cross has an empty lot that can
        > not support a building
        > due to flooding hazard. Why not turn this into a
        > small park.
        > It would sure be nice and maybe a tourist
        > attraction.
        > Just a thought.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Gary Means

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Diana
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 3 4:32 PM
          Speaking of Savannah, my deceased aunt lived on the squares and helpe
          with the renovation efforts way back when they were "derelict" fenced-
          in, sorry things. I bet my brother has the pictures of the before.
          I have pictures of a St. Patrick's day and Christmas--cathedral,
          Hilton, river walk, etc. I have to brag, because I don't have a good
          excuse to go anymore.

          Anyway, I did look up some funding sources on www.beactive.org,
          [click]communities,[click]grants and hit the jackpot with [click]the
          Div. of Juvinile Justice. Talk about a complete list! I also have
          some state reports, like the one on the home page of Be Active,
          Economic Cost... for proposal writing. I'm also interested in the
          obesity prevention angle. I'll check out some more sites. Does
          anyone have experience with proposal writing? I can get facts and
          forms, but need help with the writing. What other politician is
          working an angle, besides the Mayor? We should have a discussion
          with his staff about what we would like and are considering and if we
          could coordinate/collaborate. ;-)

          I would, of course, love to check out the lot down on my corner, Gulf
          and Cross. I've met a neighbor and will call and ask him about it.
          He also cuts my grass and is mulling over doing my backyard-jungle.
          Wish him luck :-P.

          Oh, I want to bake a cheesecake sooooo bad. But what is a lonely
          woman to do with a whole cheesecake? Coffee and dessert anyone?

          Diana [I'm at the library,no computer at home,and leary about posting
          phone no.]

          --- In historic-sanford-nc@yahoogroups.com, Al Roethlisberger
          <al_roethlisberger@...> wrote:

          > ...absolutely Gary =)
          >
          > I love Savannah, especially the little city parks in
          > the "nooks" of cul de sacs and traffic circles. They
          > add a great deal of charm.
          >
          > Of course, I am not quite optimistic enough to think
          > that transforming a couple vacant lots in our
          > neighborhoods will replicate that exact mood evoked by
          > the pocket parks installed by Savannah's city
          > planners, but I think that if a few strategically
          > placed parks would add some charm and utility.
          >
          > I don't know the details of each property in our
          > neighborhoods, but I know that different lots have
          > some challenges with ownership and engineering. But I
          > agree that many would be ideal parks and green-space
          > instead of just being an empty lot or grown over with
          > vegetation.
          >
          > I'd love to see a park dedicated to some historic
          > aspect of the neighborhood, maybe even with a nice
          > statue or sculpture.
          >
          > Al
          >

          > --- Gary Means <gemeans@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi All,
          > > I just visited Savannah, GA a few weeks ago. As
          > > I walked through their
          > > wonderful historic downtown, I wondered why we
          > > couldn't turn some of the
          > > derelict empty lots in our neighborhood into small
          > > parks? For example, the
          > > corner of Gulf and Cross has an empty lot that can
          > > not support a building
          > > due to flooding hazard. Why not turn this into a
          > > small park.
          > > It would sure be nice and maybe a tourist
          > > attraction.
          > > Just a thought.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Gary Means

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • tx_duke_fans
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 7 11:28 AM
            Hey you asked if anyone has experience in proposal writing..Well we
            have our own grants writer here in the historic district. Her name is
            Holly Ann Rogers and she lives at 504 Summitt Drive. She is the
            grants writer for CCCC. I will ask her if she'd like to help out with
            this.

            tammy
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 8 7:24 AM
              Does anyone have a recommendation for a hardwood floor
              refinisher?

              Thanks

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Mark West
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 8 2:49 PM
                Al,

                Wade Butner refinished our floors before we moved into the house in 1997.  He did a very good job, and was very picky regarding his quality.  Hope this helps.

                Mark and Melanie at 301North Gulf.
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 8 3:59 PM
                  Hey Al,

                  I would say that Somerset floors is the one to call - they did our
                  floors and they look awesome. But he is not available. I have seen
                  some floors that Butner did and I would have to say they are okay
                  but not as good (my opinion only :) But those are the only two that
                  do floors here. There is a man that retired but is back in doing
                  some and he is the best..his name is Calvin - he's about 70
                  something and believe me is the best. He is very busy right now but
                  maybe you could get him.

                  tammy

                  <al_roethlisberger@...> wrote:

                  > Does anyone have a recommendation for a hardwood floor
                  > refinisher?
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > Al

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                • garyelainemeans
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 9 8:49 AM
                    Al,
                    I would second the vote for Wade Butner. He did a meticulous job
                    on our floors. He was very trustworthy. I would highly recommend
                    his work. You are welcome to come see our floors as an example.
                    -Gary

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 9 9:27 AM
                      Thanks Tammy,

                      Yeah, I've talked to Calvin's wife the other day, and
                      he is semi-retired, only doing small jobs per doctors
                      orders.

                      You say Somerset is not available anymore?

                      Al

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 9 1:29 PM
                        *laugh* ...wow, I think the "floor refinishing
                        business" is somewhat cursed in Sanford this Summer =P

                        I talked to Calvin's wife last week, and due to his
                        age, his doctor has advised him not to take any big
                        jobs anymore... so he's in semi-retirement. And
                        apparently his long-time co-worker passed away
                        recently.

                        Also, I spoke with Wade today, and he is injured and
                        cannot work either for some month or two.

                        Matt Sakurada had recommended a fella that he had
                        used, but he also is out of the picture for at least a
                        couple months.

                        *sigh* =P

                        At least we won't need it done for a month or two.

                        Al

                        --- garyelainemeans <gemeans@...> wrote:

                        > Al,
                        > I would second the vote for Wade Butner. He did a
                        > meticulous job
                        > on our floors. He was very trustworthy. I would
                        > highly recommend
                        > his work. You are welcome to come see our floors as
                        > an example.
                        > -Gary
                        >
                        > --- In historic-sanford-nc@yahoogroups.com, Al
                        > Roethlisberger
                        > <al_roethlisberger@...> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Does anyone have a recommendation for a hardwood
                        > floor
                        > > refinisher?
                        > >
                        > > Thanks
                        > > Al

                        > protection around
                        > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • tx_duke_fans
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 10 6:00 AM
                          Well you might need to look elsewhere like fayetteville or raleigh
                          area as the floor guys are cursed.
                          Yes Matt Sakurda had his floors done by Somerset but he is not
                          available for a bit - heard he was in jail :( But don't know what
                          for. He was trained by Calvin and believe me too bad you can't get
                          Calvin as he is the BEST all around. He helped Somerset do our
                          floors and he is a joy to be around. He knows alot of history of
                          this town too if you just want to talk to him someday.

                          Don't know what to tell you - have you picked a general contractor
                          yet as they may know of a floor refinisher? Also, Id finish all the
                          walls and such before you do the floors but definitely do the floors
                          before you move in as it is just easier with no furniture to deal
                          with. We emptied our whole house into a pod and attic to do our
                          floors..what a pain that was.

                          Any recomendations for contractors for remodeling and addition work?
                          We are almost ready to do that route..this big family needs a family
                          room.

                          tammy

                          > http://mail.yahoo.com

                        • Diana
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 12 10:00 AM
                            We have a database of contractors, so if anyone has another to add,
                            that would be helpful.
                            I suggest looking at the database, if you would like.

                            Have you contacted the lady about writing a proposal? I'm terribly
                            busy right now at work (thank god) so don't have too much time at the
                            present. But it is WORK or slump for me. No tellin'
                            Later, Diana

                            --- In historic-sanford-nc@yahoogroups.com, "tx_duke_fans"