Segregation era deed restrictions getting press on CNN

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2007
      CNN is running an interesting story on old deed restrictions
      originally limiting the ownership of some properties to Caucasian
      owners. This practice, of course outlawed some decades ago, is not
      uncommon especially in Southern states.

      In fact, I believe that this deed stipulation was part of the original
      McIver Park development, and may have been true of Rosemount as well.

      Of course, this verbiage is illegal and unenforceable today, but often
      remains in original deeds to properties first developed long ago.

      A link to the video story is:

      http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2007/10/10/boudin.mn.racist.hoa.deeds.wcnc

      It is an unfortunate footnote to a period of time, but is never the
      less an interesting window into our national and neighborhood history.