Re: light idea a bust

  • Tammy
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2007
      Okay on the spelling of Summitt Drive..
      If you check the phone directories there has always been two
      spellings..there was the Summit spelling for the Rosemount
      subdivision and then it was spelled Summitt for McIver Park. I had
      that confirmed by the Yarboroughs..they said it had something to do
      that when they did McIver Park the residents wanted it clearly known
      that they were their own subdivision. So for my two cents worth I'd
      like McIver park to maintain our spelling - Summmitt Drive as it is
      what we have always been. So, please don't go changing us okay?

      Mike said the luminaries came to about $860.00 least year and he has
      brought up the luminaries over the past couple of months to get
      feedback amoung emails to commissioners and such and that no reply
      has been made. I agree that it would be nice if a neighborhood
      assoc. would be around to do it but incase all forget...we had no
      participation or interest from Rosemount before..all the people who
      sent money were from McIver Park - thus we said maybe we'd do a
      McIver Park NA and get it going then when Rosemount was interested
      we could envelope them into it..but it all flopped afterall.
      Maybe it is something that someone else could try to get flying...it
      would be nice.

      So people if you'd like to see more great things happen in the
      district we need to do what Al says- spread the love a bit...
      new people need to volunteer to take the reigns on some items and
      get the ball rolling.

      tammy
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
        Hi Beverly!

        ...and welcome to the group =)

        This is absolutely the right forum to announce local
        events. I'll add this to the group calendar, and I'd
        encourage anyone to do the same when they have or know
        of a community event that we may all be interested in.

        Thanks!
        Al

        --- b brookshire <brookshireartist@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > this is Beverly Brookshire who lives in the old
        > St. Claire Elementary School.
        > I just joined this morning but haven't had time to
        > write my description. I am extremely busy as the
        > chairperson in charge of ARTober FEST.
        >
        > I know this isn't the forum for this but I am so
        > busy I haven't had an opportunity to come and speak
        > with you about it.
        >
        > ARTober FEST will be in Depot Park, Saturday the
        > 6th, from 10 am - 4:30 pm.
        > A hunger walk leads the day from 8:30 - 10 am.
        >
        > We will have many arts and crafts demonstrations
        > and acts for the stage.
        >
        > Many events for children including sidewalk art,
        > face painting, pumpkin painting, inflated gym, etc.
        >
        > ART Taxi's will be driving around the downtown
        > blocks, riders may wave them down for a ride to the
        > Brush & Palette Show, restaurants, shopping, or
        > parking lots.
        >
        > Please come join us.
        > If you would also like to volunteer please call me
        > at 775-2278 or cell: 917-257-8997 or David
        > Montgomery at DSI 775-8332.
        >
        > again please forgive me for using our historic
        > forum to let y'all know about this event.
        >
        > Sincerely, Beverly Brookshire
        > BrookshireArtist@...

        http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
      • Amontgomery
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
          test

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
            Looks like it came through fine April.

            Al

            --- Amontgomery <amontgomery@...> wrote:

            ---------------------------------

            test

            Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
              Tammy,

              Thanks for explaining, and I understand the Summit vs.
              Summitt issue, hence my comments. So there is no
              issue there.

              But just to be clear, while it sounds like McIver Park
              was spelled with two t's historically, I have copies
              of documents for our 300(and maybe 400) block that
              show the single t. So the difference in spelling you
              describe may indeed be accurate, and certainly
              interesting. We'll have to keep that in mind if the
              city fixes any signs.

              With regard to a neighborhood association, it has been
              mentioned a couple times that "no one" was interested
              from Rosemount.... and not to split hairs, but I'd
              like to simply clarify that we live in Rosemount, and
              were very interested and wrote our check for $100
              which as far as I know is still in the "nascent NA
              coffers" *shrug*

              And I also know that the Montgomery's are/were very
              interested, and had also tried some years ago to get a
              NA off the ground. And while I can't speak for new
              neighbors like the Thompsons, Kohl's, etc... I
              suspect given their engagement in general that they
              would show interest as well.

              So I think Rosemount in general is just now starting
              to catch up to your block, where arguably most of the
              gentrification in the neighborhood started.

              And I do think it is catching up as new families move
              in throughout both neighborhoods and show an interest
              in renovation, preservation, and the health of the
              neighborhood in general.

              I don't know when we'll all reach enough critical mass
              to make a NA a reality, but I think that as things
              continue to improve, we will. Then it will be a lot
              easier.

              And my opinion: I wouldn't personally recommend a
              McIver Park NA, as I know I'd feel left out when I
              simply live a block away. And as I've mentioned I
              suspect others would be too when it comes together.

              Plus, our neighborhood(s) really is identified
              externally as one big happy family, so why split that
              up? After all, other than some stone entry walls,
              there really isn't much differentiation between
              Rosemount and McIver Park these days.

              Anyway, until we have the groundswell to make it a
              reality, it is all moot I guess.

              I do hope we end up with a NA at some point, and think
              it is very likely. As I've said repeatedly, I think
              the neighborhood is coming along, and will with time
              reach a point where we'll have more participation,
              interest, and enough energy to have a more formal
              network of residents.

              As far as asking for more help via this forum,
              unfortunately I think we are all shouting in a mostly
              empty room at ourselves =P

              I've got to figure out a way to get more residents
              actively using this resource for it to be effective.

              I've done at least three flier distributions, handed
              them out at the NNO, and now the link was in the
              paper. But the membership pretty much stays steady at
              around 40.

              I'll undoubtedly do more fliers every 6 months or so,
              but it continues to be a challenge to get folks to use
              the group and to get people... especially old
              residents.... really interested *sigh*

              Heck, quite a few members have their email settings
              such that they don't even receive messages. So....

              Al

              http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC