RE: [historic-sanford-nc] Re: Rental appearances

  • Laura Younger
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 26, 2007
      Al -

      Bailey Kohl & I were talking last night about the Green St 'peeling houses' and she wondered if there was a way to raise funds specifically to help financially strapped homeowners who need to maintain their properties. I hate to add to the burden of the 20-odd people who do all the volunteering, but maybe we can find a way to help. Any ideas?

      Laura

      To: historic-sanford-nc@yahoogroups.com
      From: al_roethlisberger@...
      Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 14:01:54 +0000
      Subject: [historic-sanford-nc] Re: Rental appearances

      Tammy's point regarding location is certainly true from a business/RE
      perspective, although on the other hand I would also like to thank Jay
      from a "neighborhood impact perspective" for taking a risk on a block
      that is a bit more challenged. Locations like that of course is where
      the neighborhood really needs the most help and inspiration.

      Jay, have you considered advertising on RE sites that specifically
      focus on historic/antique properties? The cost is minimal for 3-6
      months, and you have a better chance of finding the kind of buyers who
      may be moving to the area and are specifically interested in older
      homes. These kind of buyers are likely more accepting of some
      challenges as well if they already are old-home buffs.

      I have links to several in the "Links" section of the group under the
      "Historic Homes Real Estate Listings" folder. Or you can just Google
      for "antique home sales" or similar and several of these
      sites/services will come up.

      Ones that I have archived are:

      http://www.presnc. org
      http://www.antiquer ealestate. com/
      http://www.oldhouse s.com/
      http://www.historic properties. com/

      With folks coming to Sanford due to the BRAC program and just general
      growth, I bet there are a small percentage of families looking from
      Raleigh to Fayetteville that may prefer older homes, but haven't
      really given Sanford a look. Heck, we didn't even know Sanford
      existed before we saw the ad for our house. By placing your home on
      one or more of these sites, you may increase the chances that kind of
      buyer may find you... and Sanford.

      And I'd still give code enforcement a call. They seem more engaged as
      of late with the neighborhood, and perhaps they can offer some help.
      I know that the mayor personally said a few weeks ago that she was
      going to give code enforcement a call "about Green street" because it
      "is a disgrace.". So I know that some of our city leaders are indeed
      interested in improving things within their power and ability.

      Good luck, and we all appreciate the work you've done on that house.
      I bet it will sell, although it may take a little while to find that
      "right buyer" who can see the potential of the block and neighborhood.

      Al

      --- In historic-sanford- nc@yahoogroups. com, "Tammy"
      <hebert_family@ ...> wrote:

      > Yeah Jay that block has a lot of houses that "need" attention.
      > I guess rule number one of real estate and flipping - location,
      > location, location comes into play here.
      > You did a great job on the house from what I see on the outside but
      > maybe should have done a bit more research on the location.
      > I guess for anyone else interested in flipping you have to realize
      > that the buyer that wants to buy a house finished wants only
      > cosmetic work to do and wants a nice area to move into..you the
      > flipper can do the first part but the second is up to the neighbors
      > and if they are not up to speed with what you are doing then it is
      > going to be a tougher sell. One thing that might have been looked
      > into would have been the history of that block - has it always been
      > that way? then maybe look into code enforcement - have they ever
      > enforced anything in the 10 years they have been a historic
      > district - the answer is no.
      > I wish you luck on your sale and hope others can at least hit
      > marginal improvement in that area- overall improvment would be best
      > but hey lets not get crazy here :) - but overall I guess you have to
      > realize that you flipped your house alone not the street and that
      > may hurt your chances of a sale until they get up to speed. Maybe a
      > good learning item for your next flip- make sure the neighbors only
      > help the sale not hurt it :)
      > It would be nice if the HPC would get onto code enforcement and get
      > these eyesores taken care of - it could only help the area right?
      >
      > tammy

    • Tammy
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 26, 2007
        The sad part is most of the homes in total disrepair and are as the
        mayor stated a disgrace are not financially strapped homeowners they
        are rentals...or those who just don't give a darn. I think trying
        to find a way to help others is great but don't know what you should
        do. I mean according to the guidelines it costs me twice as much to
        do anything I need to do. Of course we could just do away with the
        historical district and go straight to an appearance issue and make
        everything look nice. That might be the way to go so all can afford
        to have a nice house.
        They mayor has a project that focuses on the east side that has
        Lowes and such providing the paint and the churches painting
        houses...you might contact her and see if there is a way that those
        grants could cover some homes over here also..maybe actually do some
        research first to see if the highly neglectful houses are indeed
        financially strapped or slum lords, or if they are financially
        strapped would they like some help..some people are too proud and
        would be offended if you swoop in to help them.

        just a thought...
        tammy
        --- In historic-sanford-nc@yahoogroups.com, Laura Younger
        <youngerla@...> wrote:

        > Al -
        >
        > Bailey Kohl & I were talking last night about the Green
        St 'peeling houses' and she wondered if there was a way to raise
        funds specifically to help financially strapped homeowners who need
        to maintain their properties. I hate to add to the burden of the 20-
        odd people who do all the volunteering, but maybe we can find a way
        to help. Any ideas?

        > Laura
        >

        > To: historic-sanford-nc@...: al_roethlisberger@...: Wed, 26 Sep
        2007 14:01:54 +0000Subject: [historic-sanford-nc] Re: Rental
        appearances

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 26, 2007
          Well, my immediate(and seemingly not so charitable)
          response is.... "Get the landlords to paint their own
          darned houses." =P

          But seriously... of course not every house on the 300
          block of Green is a rental(I assume), but most seem to
          be. And it isn't that I don't have sympathy for the
          tenants(as I certainly do for many), but I think that
          if there were funds/resources available for this sort
          of thing, the community would likely be more willing
          to get behind helping a "down and out" homeowner
          improve their property versus helping to prop up a
          slum lord's business. As much as I hate to say it, I
          don't think we really want to help them be
          "successful" with their current business model per se
          *shrug*

          That being said, I do know that the city received some
          sort of grant to paint houses for low cost that was
          used for a bunch of houses down on McIver(if I
          recall). The mayor had chatted about this program
          last year, and I don't know if that funding is still
          available. But perhaps it is something that could be
          checked into for owner occupied houses in "paint
          distress".

          What we need, much like winning the lottery, is
          someone to buy a couple/three houses on a block like
          Green and fix them up, which might then might drive up
          property values, encouraging slum lords to sell for a
          profit, and attract new buyers that don't see the
          block as such as scary proposition to invest in the
          remaining homes.

          Green actually has several really nice little houses,
          so it's a real shame to see them continue their
          downward slide.

          Al

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 26, 2007
            Ah, should have read yours first Tammy =)

            I agree....

            And to boot, and keeping in mind my quote from the
            mayor about getting code enforcement to really "crack
            down" on Green.... just looking at many of those
            houses on blocks like Green, there is no way they meet
            minimum code in every way. Many are nearly derelict
            structurally, and I can imagine the electrical and
            plumbing.

            With that in mind, one way to put a pinch on these
            landlords would be to have code enforcement really
            start looking closely at these properties, which no
            doubt would have several violations.

            I'm not looking to get something condemned or torn
            down, but I think the reason none of these landlords
            have an incentive to maintain the properties or sell
            them is that they aren't really inconvenienced.

            So perhaps if the city starts to "inconvenience" them
            a bit, they may find it isn't worth their time.

            I know that code enforcement needs some sort of
            "complaint" or "probable cause" before they just start
            knocking down people's doors(and I think that is the
            way it should be BTW), but in many of these cases I
            think there is obvious "probable cause" visible from
            the street.

            Or if they need a complaint, I suppose we as a
            neighborhood could walk the block, make any note of a
            problem... and make the call.

            And since these are often multi-unit dwellings, there
            are often more stringent city and state code... at
            least in other areas I've lived in.

            So my point here is that, if we have no other leverage
            with these landlords, shouldn't the city simply do
            what other municipalities have done for decades and
            put the screws to these landlords to improve the
            properties... or sell??

            Again, I know that the mayor is especially sensitive
            to our neighborhood, and has called out Green
            specifically. But perhaps the HPC in some capacity
            should meet with the mayor and a councilperson or two
            to discuss a plan of action to improve blocks like
            Green.

            As it is now, we still have landlords in violation of
            HPC rulings, obvious safety issues, and just plain
            neglect that attracts crime and other unwelcome
            activities. And it isn't getting any better.

            Al

            Got a little couch potato?