RE: [historic-sanford-nc] Don't Forget -- Call for residents to serve on HPC Ad Hoc Committees 2007-2008

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 24 8:18 AM
      Hi Laura,

      That's great news, and you are absolutely correct.

      I heard from David that no one had volunteered for the
      "sign" committee, and since I was the one that
      suggested neighborhood signage last year... I went
      ahead and volunteered for that committee.

      It looks like we have several folks on the "safety"
      and "guidelines" that have volunteered, so that is
      fantastic.

      Now we'll just have to work hard to make sure these
      working groups don't get mired down... as committees
      sometimes do. That could be challenging, especially
      for the "guidelines" group.

      But I'm glad we're doing it =)

      Al

      http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-19132&moid=14888

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Ryan Draughn
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 24 8:22 AM

        I have spoken to David Montgomery as well for possibly serving on the guidelines committee. I can offer more of a commitment once I know the meeting times/schedule. Thanks!

        Ryan Draughn

        308 W. Weatherspoon

        href="mailto:al_roethlisberger%40yahoo.com">al_roethlisberger@ yahoo.com>

        at 919-775-8332 or david.montgomery@ sanfordnc. net.

        >Cheers
        >Al
        >

        >--- In historic-sanford- nc@yahoogroups. com,
        "Al Roethlisberger"
        ><al_roethlisberger @...> wrote:
        > >

        > > The following document is also available in MS Word format in the
        > > group "files" section.
        > >
        > > This is an opportunity for residents of our neighborhoods to
        > > participate and provide direct input on these projects and topics.
        > >
        > > ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* *********
        > >
        > > Call for Individuals to serve on Historic Preservation Commission Ad
        > > Hoc Committees 2007-2008
        > >
        > > The City of Sanford Historic
        Commission is establishing three Ad Hoc
        > > Committees for the 2007-2008 fiscal year to further study issues that
        > > were identified in the Historic Commission Retreat: Amending the
        > > Historic Regulations and Guidelines, Erecting Entry Signs to the four
        > > National Register Historic Districts, and Promoting Safety and
        > > Security. The Commission invites the public to participate in any of
        > > the following committees; an explanation of each committee and their
        > > duties is provided below.
        > >
        > > 1. Historic Regulations and Guidelines Committee
        > >
        > > - A Design Guidelines committee has been set up to review the
        > > Guidelines, Rules of Procedures, & Minor/Major Works Matrix for
        the
        > > local districts, and make recommendations of amendments of these
        > > documents to the full Board of Commissioners
        > > - The Committee will be composed of no more than three Commissioners
        > > and a minimum of 4 property owners from the respective local
        > > districts, Rosemount-McIver
        Park and Downtown, who are interested in
        > > serving.
        > > - The two Commissioners who have agreed to be on the committee are
        > > Michael Humphrey and Mark West
        > >
        > > 2. Entry Signs to Historic Districts Committees
        > >
        > > - The Historic Commission would like to install entry signs into each
        > > of the four National Register Districts; the signs will be unique to
        > > each district and will identify each district in their own way. The
        > > Commission would like various artists to come up with a design for
        > > each sign using input from an Ad Hoc Committee from each of the
        > > respective National Register Districts (i.e
        w:st="on">Rosemount-McIver Park
        > > residents, Downtown Sanford Board of Directors, Jonesboro Historical
        > > Society and Lee Avenue
        residents, and Hawkins Avenue residents)
        > > - The Committee will be composed of no more than three Commissioners
        > > and a minimum of 4 property owners/representati ves from each
        district
        > > who are interested in serving.
        > > - The task of each committee will be to determine what is unique
        about
        > > their respective district and establish themes to give the artists
        > > concepts from which to design (including but not limited to the
        > > history of the district, important figures, architectural details of
        > > the buildings, landscape, etc.)
        > > - Each Ad Hoc Committee would then consult with various interested
        > > artists to determine a design based upon the identified themes.
        > > Artists would submit rough designs to the Committee and a final
        design
        > > will be determined. Students at CCCC or prisoners from the local
        > > prison might be able to construct the signs after the designs are
        > > determined.
        > > - The two Commissioners who have agreed to be on the committee are
        > > Dana Atkins and Tim Mercer
        > >
        > > 3. Safety and Security Committee
        > >
        > > - The Historic Preservation Commission would like to be an advocate
        > > and jump-start initiatives for the
        w:st="on">Rosemount McIver Park neighborhood

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 24 9:54 AM
          That's great Ryan!

          Many thanks to you as well =)

          Al

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 18, 2007
            Although the deadline to apply for the ad hoc
            committees has passed, I would encourage anyone
            interested in participating to still contact David
            Montgomery.

            I cannot speak for David or the HPC(Historic
            Preservation Commission), but I do know that we did
            not receive many applications to participate, and at
            least two of the topics, Safety/Security and
            Guidelines, are very important to each and every
            resident. So it is likely that they may still
            consider your application.

            The next HPC meeting is next Monday, so if you have an
            interest in any of the committee topics, this week
            would be an ideal time to contact David and get an
            application started.

            It would be great to get a lot of community
            participation and energy toward these efforts, which
            would address some outstanding issues and build a
            stronger bridge between the HPC and the residents.

            If interested, please contact David Montgomery at
            919-775-8332 or david.montgomery@...

            Thanks!
            Al

            Here are the details of the three committees:

            http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC